PDA

View Full Version : Sentry (Map)

Assault&Battery
May 17th, 2008, 02:41 AM
HALO ARRAY
INSTALLATION 04
DEFENSIVE STATION 373j
AR: Transmission intercepted by Sentry system 627c. Sent to 343 GS for analysis and threat level. Contents follow.
IP 193.167.2.4
Fr: Sgt Ptrsn, A. (Sgt SN 06542-194154)
To: Crtna (UNSC AI CTN 0452-9)
CC: Cptn Kys, J. (Cpt SN 01928-19912)
Sbj: "Mission Status"
http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/mm116/AssaultandBattery77/beach-5.jpg
A Pelican doing a routine supply drop was shot down by a Covenant anti-aircraft battery and crash landed just off-shore of the beach, killing the pilot on impact. The only thing still operational in the Pelican is its turret, which is now used for defense from intruders through the Forerunner archway. The 'Hog it was carrying landed nearby, battered but drivable.
http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/mm116/AssaultandBattery77/forerunner_defense_water.jpg
A river runs alongside what we have determined to be one of the ring's control centers, this one being the defensive controls. We believe that this river uses the natural force of the water as one of the many power supplies for the ring's life support. Any attempt to use the mainframe of the ring from the computer terminals inside the structure has been blocked by an entity known as 343GS, possibly an AI within the ring itself. We have been able to use a console nearby the terminals to create a bridge across to park our vehicles, however.
http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/mm116/AssaultandBattery77/forerunner_defense_clifs.jpg
This is another shot of the mysterious structure we found. The towers built into the wall seem to serve no purpose that we can make out except to possibly provide power to the structure. Requesting approval for further analysis.

Assault&Battery
May 17th, 2008, 02:42 AM
Well, as you may have guessed, I'm working on a new map for Halo CE, called "Sentry". I've given a little background information in the first post there, but I figure I should explain some things.

First off, NONE OF THESE TEXTURES ARE FINAL. I will be fixing them, re-uvwing the badly uvwed areas, making new bitmaps, etc.

Second, I will NOT be using any custom weapons or vehicles, besides the Pelican turret.

Each base will get one Hog parked outside by default. The rest of the vehicles are inside, for Red team through a cave, and for blue over a bridge that you need to extend. In addition to their one Hog outside, the teams will get 1 Scorpion and 2 Hogs on the inside. The Scorpion will NOT be default in CTF, though it will be default in all other gametypes. Also optional are 2 Ghosts per team, though these do not spawn by default.

Red base gets a crashed Pelican's turret (Same turret as found on the Hog) by default. Blue base gets a Shade turret outside of their base. Both have a wide coverage, but cannot hit the cave's exit, meaning that while they can take out ambushes, they cannot take out a sneak attack on foot.

Also, a lot of stuff still needs work, but it is a good start, in my opinion. This will wind up being an asymmetrical map, and red team WILL get a Valhalla-esque tower for their base, I just haven't been bored enough to model it yet.

beele
May 17th, 2008, 03:00 AM
Looks pretty good, keep it up.

SnaFuBAR
May 17th, 2008, 04:06 AM
nothing on the map looks forerunner. practice more.

n00b1n8R
May 17th, 2008, 06:48 AM
I like what I see. :)

Sel
May 17th, 2008, 08:54 AM
Youve got a good idea of how to do terrain and cliffs, but, as snaf said, that structure is distinctly not forerunner. Practice the forerunner style. 15/30/45/60 degree angles are your friend.

Lateksi
May 17th, 2008, 09:39 AM
Just fix the caves, everything else looks good so far =)

Ki11a_FTW
May 17th, 2008, 11:19 AM
it doesn't look much forerunner but it has a good concept.

Bastinka
May 17th, 2008, 12:26 PM
Caves are too edgy looking, just smooth it out or make it a distinctive edge to tell it was burrowed through, with rubble on the sides. Also if you intended it to be forerunner I'd say really look at some of the forerunner structures, it looks kind of ehh.. but keep it up!

Inferno
May 17th, 2008, 12:44 PM
I personally I like it even if it doesn't look very forerunner. the bridge is cool. although caves need smoothing badly.

Apoc4lypse
May 17th, 2008, 12:54 PM
it doesn't look much forerunner but it has a good concept.

what he said... its neat, and I like how you posted it with a story ha, makes it interesting.

Like snaf said though, practice your forerunner styles. As for the terrain its pretty decent, keep working on it though.

Assault&Battery
May 17th, 2008, 02:46 PM
OK, I'll work on my Forerunner some more. The cliffs were a first attempt, so it's natural they would be kinda... bad.
Most of the stuff I worked on for my older games were open environments, spline and box modeled, so I had no experience in plane modeling, let alone plane modeling environments or Forerunner structures.

Tweek
May 17th, 2008, 05:53 PM
well, even i have to admit your terrain and cliffs are half-decent. they do need work, but they're definately not bad, you're on the right track.

your architecture however sucks big bloated cocks.
forerunner is easy, learn to forerunner.

actually, there's SO many people here that suck so much at grasping the style, i don't get it. anyway, that's offtopic.

gliffs good, architecture suck.

TeeKup
May 17th, 2008, 07:56 PM
Progress is good, although I would like to see more detailing in the terrain. Also, your forerunner architecture fails outright. Take a look at the design in the control room in Halo 3 and Halo 2. Forerunner has SOME spherical structures but not a lot. Most of the time they're surrounded by angled structures.

Heathen
May 18th, 2008, 11:55 AM
Looks meh, but its all early.... I like it.