PDA

View Full Version : Verizon Fios and their sucky router

cls
May 19th, 2008, 01:12 PM
Ok, after moving into a new place I have Fios is installed. I have two options, making the crappy Verizon router a bridge, or cloning its mac address with the Router I have. If there is a better way to get my Linksys router working with FIOS I'd like to know about that as well. The one they give you has a one kilobit wireless threshold. :shake:

Cortexian
May 19th, 2008, 01:47 PM
Wow... what do they do, lock their modems to their routers or something? I love my ISP, I can use w/e modem/router I want, and I don't even have to consult them... As long as I don't break something that is :awesome:.

cls
May 19th, 2008, 04:32 PM
They use a thumb drive to set everything up and it seems to be locked to the mac address, because when it's changed it doesn't work. Don't know why they allow you to change it when that feature is totally useless.

klange
May 19th, 2008, 04:59 PM
FIOS sucks - or at least that's what I've heard from everyone I know who has it. You'd probably have better luck with another provider. I can personally vouch for Road Runner on speed, ease of use, and compatibility. There are people out there of above-average computer knowledge that are amazed to find that my server runs on a residential network due its quick response times - and it's not even a fiber network. I've never had problems with anything else, either and have been using my own router from the start - a Linksys WRT54g. Another great plus is that I have a static IP and I don't pay extra for it.

To conclude this propaganda post: Your best bet will probably end up being switching ISPs. I've heard nothing but bad reviews on FIOS.

cls
May 19th, 2008, 05:26 PM
Well I'm not paying for FIOS, my family is. So I need the linksys to work for them. I don't think many people use Time Warner for internet in Maryland, its either Comcast or Verizon. O well, going to try and clone the mac address of their crappy router when I'm over there again.

jcap
May 19th, 2008, 05:44 PM
It's not locked; you just need to release and renew the IP addresses on the routers. Either hook it up and let the router sit for two hours, go under the settings and release it, or call them and ask for them to release it for you.

I've never had a better ISP. I've had Comcast since @home and it had been a nightmare up until I switched. Family who has Optimum Online from Cablevision/Time Warner has its equal share of problems. To be honest, I've heard nothing but good reviews come from FiOS, with only people complaining about it who have their head two feet up their ass.

The thumb drive they use during installation simply sets you up. There's several applications on there. One of them, the first one they run, lets you set up your Verizon account. This is where you are given/asked for your account number and you create your username. After it's created, then they'll call up and go through the voice activation process. The next two applications are optional. The second one configures the router with basic settings. It will set the username to admin and the password to password1, along with a few other options. The last few applications are bonus offers from partner companies, such as Yahoo! and AOL, and other little service tools that they can install on your computer. None of them affect your actual FiOS service, though you can choose to access your Verizon email through one of its partner's webmail applications.

ultama121
May 19th, 2008, 05:45 PM
Damn, I heard about all the hype of FIOS yet it turns out to be ass.

SnaFuBAR
May 20th, 2008, 09:15 AM
Dunno how everyone thinks it's so terrible, if they haven't even tried it. HURR HURR I READ. And what? My friend has FiOS and has yet to encounter a single problem with it. I've used it and it's plenty fast and they use their own router.

PenGuin1362
May 20th, 2008, 07:25 PM
It's not locked; you just need to release and renew the IP addresses on the routers. Either hook it up and let the router sit for two hours, go under the settings and release it, or call them and ask for them to release it for you.

I've never had a better ISP. I've had Comcast since @home and it had been a nightmare up until I switched. Family who has Optimum Online from Cablevision/Time Warner has its equal share of problems. To be honest, I've heard nothing but good reviews come from FiOS, with only people complaining about it who have their head two feet up their ass.

My uncle has FIOS and like snaf said has yet to encounter any problems, not to mention his connect blows the shit out of mine and he's paying less -_-. I used to have regular version DSL before I moved and I was pretty happy with it. Good connect, hardly ever any down time. Since I moved I've been stuck with comcast internet. It's fucking horrible. Over the past month it goes down on average 5 times a day for about 10 to 45 minutes each time. And even when it's stable the connection speed is iffy. They've come to "fix" it 3 times and every time the problem still remains. Even before this happened it would randomly die at least once a month for no reason. In short Verison is a good internet provider, FIOS is awesome, unless you don't know the difference between a modem and a brick, and comcast sucks COCK.

p0lar_bear
May 21st, 2008, 04:04 AM
Jcap, didn't you tell me that everyone was bitching about Verizon FiOS because they claimed at one point that it was a fiber line directly to your house, but in actuality they apparently bottlenecked the connection speed because the line that went to your house was copper and not fiber? Or something incredibly dumb like that...

If that's the case, then that's probably what everyone's reading. I also heard that Verizon in general provides great service, but their customer support sucks (kinda like Dell)?

I don't know much about this because I only have two options for internet here: the local cable company or AT&T DSL. Comcast doesn't come to my side of the river, and I don't think Verizon is an option either.

cls
May 21st, 2008, 10:17 AM
My computer is now directly linked to the modem, all I have do is setup my Linksys router to get wireless working. Then I have to do 128 bit WEP encryption, which is always fun. Not really

FIOS is indeed much better then Comcast, Comcast never downloaded video files in under ten minutes at 500 kilobits with Firefox.

SnaFuBAR
May 21st, 2008, 12:20 PM
I also heard that Verizon in general provides great service, but their customer support sucks
like you wouldn't believe. every two weeks they cut off our internet, phone or mobile service. We've gotten tired of them so we're going to demand FiOS. Their customer service sucks bad but when you threaten to leave they sweat bullets and pretty much give you what you want.

jcap
May 21st, 2008, 02:04 PM
Jcap, didn't you tell me that everyone was bitching about Verizon FiOS because they claimed at one point that it was a fiber line directly to your house, but in actuality they apparently bottlenecked the connection speed because the line that went to your house was copper and not fiber? Or something incredibly dumb like that...

If that's the case, then that's probably what everyone's reading. I also heard that Verizon in general provides great service, but their customer support sucks (kinda like Dell)?
No, when I was talking about that with you, I was referring to the cable company commercials (Comcast......) who advertise "FIBER OPTICS RIGHT TO YOUR DOOR", when in reality you're getting a copper line that is on a network with a fiber backbone.

The only issue I have had with Verizon so far has been with their billing department. It really is a mess the way everything is calculated with them, and when things aren't done right the first time, it can take weeks of phone calls and months of incorrect billings to finally resolve the issues. It was for their phone service, too, not FiOS, though they really are the same department.