PDA

View Full Version : Tool - No Errors Project

E3pO
June 1st, 2008, 06:23 AM
http://forum.halomaps.org/index.cfm?page=topic&topicID=17733

The1[Aaron]
June 1st, 2008, 07:07 AM
ok... nice but... i have to point this out... otherwise... its just going to eat away inside...
wouldn't something like this make community member's rather... lazy?

but still good idea. but... still... :S can't help but think...

Patrickssj6
June 1st, 2008, 07:12 AM
Thanks for the credit. >.>

SuperSunny
June 1st, 2008, 09:19 AM
This is incredibly useful when there are certain errors that are just too hard to fix, that are also small, but Tool doesn't allow you to compile the map in anyway.

But for designing, this is only useful on debugging maps. It's going to make mappers lazy, and have open edges and errors everywhere. Not like maps are constantly developed much anymore anyways.

Zeph
June 1st, 2008, 09:35 AM
Wait, what? You cant seal your level or delete backfacing polygons?

SuperSunny
June 1st, 2008, 09:44 AM
Wait, what? You cant seal your level or delete backfacing polygons?

Those are easy. There are random errors that I've gotten, such as Vertex point errors that cannot be fixed without a complete overhaul of the map for some reason, Bad UV errors where there is a section of the map that has a messed up UV which stops the game from compiling lightmaps, and is almost impossible to find without redoing the UV mapping of the entire map, and others.

I'm not sure how the game engine will handle them being compiled, though.

Patrickssj6
June 1st, 2008, 09:47 AM
I'm not sure how the game engine will handle them being compiled, though.

It won't. This is the whole point.

Sel
June 1st, 2008, 09:54 AM
Sunny, when you get the bad UVs error, check the debug.wrl and that will show you where the bad face is.

E3pO
June 1st, 2008, 10:34 AM
It won't. This is the whole point.

It compiles fine, and i didn't want to put your name in because if you thought it was a crappy program you wouldn't be mad that your good name was in it lol..

Ill put it in on the next update, i haven't really made an "about" for it yet.

Tweek
June 1st, 2008, 11:48 AM
i dont see the point of this, if you cant make a proper model that compiles without errors, then you need to get a fucking new hobby, and not turn to crap like this.

this is just opening the doors to more retarded shitmaps.

E3pO
June 1st, 2008, 12:25 PM
i dont see the point of this, if you cant make a proper model that compiles without errors, then you need to get a fucking new hobby, and not turn to crap like this.

Thats kinda interesting because when i look at halo 2 vista maps, there are more good ones coming out then bad.

EDIT:
Also, Bungie as of halo 2+ Don't Connect their models.

Corndogman
June 1st, 2008, 12:38 PM
Thats kinda interesting because when i look at halo 2 vista maps, there are more good ones coming out then bad.

EDIT:
Also, Bungie as of halo 2+ Don't Connect their models.

Thats true, i just watched this developer video thing off of bungie.net and it showed how they're levels are made, most of it is made up of separate objects that are'nt connected to the main part of the BSP.

Choking Victim
June 1st, 2008, 12:42 PM
it's called instance geometry. It's a differen't engine, it interprets the instance geometry differently than the main bsp, its not really comparable to this situation. Anyway, how do the maps run ingame using this tool? Does halo ce exception, or do you fall through the map?

E3pO
June 1st, 2008, 01:02 PM
it's called instance geometry. It's a different engine, it interprets the instance geometry differently than the main bsp, its not really comparable to this situation. Anyway, how do the maps run in game using this tool? Does halo ce exception, or do you fall through the map?

Works fine in game. Not much more to say. Only exceptions if you walk through the open edge, but if its small then its fine, if you need a big open edge, then you can put a big skybox around the map. That will fix the exception.

ShadowSpartan
June 1st, 2008, 01:05 PM
I just tried it....didn't work. It still gave me "couldn't update edge" errors. This tool is a joke...doesn't even work correctly.

E3pO
June 1st, 2008, 01:27 PM
I just tried it....didn't work. It still gave me "couldn't update edge" errors. This tool is a joke...doesn't even work correctly.

Why would it be a joke. I have already had several people use this tool successfully, I haven't implemented the update edge errors.

Sel
June 1st, 2008, 02:50 PM

Exactly what I said at halomaps.

This is a bad idea, it allows people to bypass the quality guidelines set out for us. If you cant abide by them do as tweek said.

SnaFuBAR
June 1st, 2008, 03:42 PM
Thanks for the credit. >.>
please do explain

The1[Aaron]
June 1st, 2008, 04:22 PM
... i think patrick was part of the development of this tool and he was completly left out...
as for the first reply... i stand by what i said. it will make lazy mappers. espescially new mappers.

E3pO
June 1st, 2008, 04:47 PM
;262005']... i think patrick was part of the development of this tool and he was completly left out...
as for the first reply... i stand by what i said. it will make lazy mappers. espescially new mappers.
He didn't download the application to see that his name was in big ass red letters.

E3pO
June 1st, 2008, 04:48 PM
PROOF: http://youtube.com/watch?v=lIQtsUWKMCU&fmt=18

NuggetWarmer
June 1st, 2008, 08:22 PM
Awesome.

Invader Veex
June 1st, 2008, 09:45 PM
Wow. Does work with open edges, just tried. Nice job.

E3pO
June 1st, 2008, 10:19 PM
http://ts.wmclan.net:73/halo/h4xdedi.gif

ShadowSpartan
June 1st, 2008, 10:30 PM
How about getting the "couldn't update edge" errors fixed instead of messing with dedicated server stuff :(?

The1[Aaron]
June 1st, 2008, 11:05 PM
lol pwned...
had 2 say it. but yeah... way O.T. E3pO...

Limited
June 2nd, 2008, 12:49 AM
Am I the only one that finds that the GUI pierces my eyes?

Tool is a bitch for a reason, all these errors add up and clog the game up, eventually it will slow the game down.

Not bad for an app though. Does it actually fix the errors, or just bypass them?

E3pO
June 2nd, 2008, 02:02 AM
Am I the only one that finds that the GUI pierces my eyes?

Tool is a bitch for a reason, all these errors add up and clog the game up, eventually it will slow the game down.

Not bad for an app though. Does it actually fix the errors, or just bypass them?

bypass

The1[Aaron]
June 2nd, 2008, 07:29 AM
like i said before... it will make lazy mappers... >_>

E3pO
June 2nd, 2008, 10:59 AM
Server is up!!

Name: MAX PLAYERS RAISED TO 500! JOIN! EVEN WHEN FULL! E3pO RULES#@$
Map: Coldsnap
Direct IP: ts.wmclan.net

Zeph
June 2nd, 2008, 01:45 PM
Uhh, you're about four years too late. We tried this. It becomes extremely laggy on the 16th player and crashes before the 17th can join. It's nothing to do with the server, but the hard code in the game itself.

Sel
June 2nd, 2008, 03:01 PM
That and this one doesnt work :|

Patrickssj6
June 2nd, 2008, 03:53 PM
We had 19 players in there. I wonder why this is so pathetically easy to do.

Just MOV 90 everywhere...

The1[Aaron]
June 2nd, 2008, 05:39 PM
you'd have better luck playing a lan game with over 16 people in it....

PenGuin1362
June 2nd, 2008, 08:17 PM
Gotta agree with sunny, this would be useful for debugging maps, and for those of us who can actually map correctly, it's not a bad thing to have if you just want get something in game so test certain things before fixing possible open edge errors. Have yet to try it seeing as how i haven't made a map for ce in like a year but may try it in the future.

Corndogman
June 2nd, 2008, 08:58 PM
Thats exactly what I've been thinking. If you need to test something ingame real quick but don't want to spend the time fixing any errors, this is perfect. just don't let any noobs get a hold of it so they can release more half ass maps without fixing the errors. I say just give it out to a few people who need it, and don't upload it to halomaps or anything.

Lunatic
June 2nd, 2008, 09:03 PM
Offtopic rlly fast.

WHy are so many ppl banned?

And I really dont mind the program.

kid908
June 2nd, 2008, 09:44 PM
XD here comes the 5-minute maps for download. anyway good program. bad idea to make it public.

Kornman00
June 3rd, 2008, 11:49 AM
More than 16 players isn't possible without recompiling the game's source with the max count changes, I don't know how many times I've had to reiterate this...

The1[Aaron]
June 3rd, 2008, 05:58 PM
hey kornman just let them have there dream... half the people here seem to think they know everything anyway... i mean... >_> i had 1 noob tell me that begin in an if statement was pointles when i had more than 1 action... (low post count + 3 years experience = noobs going zomg thats a wast of time... oh... crap... your right...) lol

this thread should be kept on topic or else closed...

i recon if they got real netcode programmers in for halo 3 on pc. they might be able to bump up the max players limit to the 50-60's like other games. it would make for better online multiplayer experiences with some of the bigass maps they have.

Kornman00
June 4th, 2008, 11:24 AM
It isn't due to the lack of "real" network programmers. Halo 3's networking was done brilliantly considering the facts of what it has to accomplish. This Halo wasn't meant for 50-60 players. I can see 24 players working OK on a few maps, but the game has been battle tested for 8 years with 16 players; don't fix it if it ain't borked [sic].

The1[Aaron]
June 4th, 2008, 05:24 PM
... now all we need is for a fool to start messing with halo ce's files and hex edit some stuff to try and force the limit up handing it out to everyone causing mass mayhem... but i don't think anyone but you have that ability or skill.
meh...

Corndogman
June 4th, 2008, 08:54 PM
Then you get a C&D letter from Microsoft/Bungie and/or you get sued.

The1[Aaron]
June 5th, 2008, 08:46 AM
... i said "now all we need is for a fool to start"...
kornman00 isn't a fool. he's cool.
difference