PDA

View Full Version : I just watched the new Rambo

Mr Buckshot
June 3rd, 2008, 11:13 PM
Today, I had the opportunity to watch the 2008 Rambo film that still stars Sylvester Stallone.

The action is top-notch as always, with glorious scenes of .50 cal bullets literally chopping Burmese troops to pieces, but the storyline was really quite weak. I daresay that watching this movie was like watching Doom - fun to watch but a real brain-cell-killer.

Interestingly, Rambo keeps his shirt on the whole time, unlike in previous films. Plus, he now wears a regular old T-shirt and not some black undershirt. I suppose this is to keep up with the 21st-century action movie traditions, but it's not a totally welcome departure.

My overall verdict: If you are really bored or if you are under extreme stress, watch this movie. Try fantasizing about being the one who mans the .50-cal at about 1 hour into the movie. God awesome, man. Love that part. This movie is well worth the price of renting. I didn't get a chance to watch on the big screen a few months back, but if I had, I probably would've complained about wasting $9 on the movie ticket.

One more thing to add, I rented this from Pay Per View HD for $2 Canadian, as the stupid DVD rental stores here charge me $5 or more, expecting that I'll keep the DVD at home for a week even though there's no reason for me not to return the DVD the very next day. I miss the Long's Drugs pharmacy back in Cupertino, CA - they charged 99 cents and $1.99 per day for old and new movies respectively and I happened to conveniently live 8 minutes away by car, so my parents rented movies like every other day or so.

Discuss! Did you enjoy this movie or not?

Corndogman
June 4th, 2008, 12:20 PM
^ thats exactly what i thought when i saw it.

I got to see it on the big screen when it came out, and man was it awesome. The Overall the movie was pretty awful, but only if you go in there expecting a great movie with good acting and plot. If you just want to see a badass action movie with lots of people getting their limbs chopped off, then yes, this movie is great.

I'd say its worth watching, like with a few buddies or something.

Dole
June 4th, 2008, 05:44 PM
It was too short. Having watched Rambo II the day before, I was positive this movie was going to go on for another hour from about the 75 minute mark (I figured there was going to be a twist something akin to when he's about to rescue Trautman for the first time in the second movie).

Watch both movies again and you'll see exactly what I'm talking about; the two scenes are so uncannily reminiscent it feels literally as if they had to cut a second half of the movie just to market it publicly.

Also, wtf, Buckshot? Doom was fun to watch?

Mr Buckshot
June 4th, 2008, 10:07 PM
Well, yeah. The FPS sequence in the Doom movie was worth the 1.5 hours I wasted in front of the TV, seriously.

Rambo was too short, yes. I don't remember what happens in First Blood, but I did watch Rambo III a few months ago (and I thought wtf, he's literally making friends with the Taliban, but I guess it's because the Russians were the so-called bad guys in those times).

And did you notice that just like in Rambo III, Rambo's killing spree is briefly interrupted for a few seconds by a single painful but non-lethal shot? In Rambo III, he took a 7.62mm round in the leg, and after grimacing in pain he boards a tank and uses it to bring down a chopper. In Rambo 4, a .50 cal bullet grazes his shoulder (but still takes off a bit of flesh) and temporarily stops the hail of his own .50 cal rounds on the Burmese.

Limited
June 5th, 2008, 05:42 PM
Amazing movie, action sequences were insane. I didnt watch it for a good story line, or to watch good acting, I knew it was just gonna be killing throughout, and was SO satisfied. So dont go into the movie if you havent seen it, expecting oscar winning performances.

Definitly a good bloke film.

Mr Buckshot
June 5th, 2008, 06:34 PM
Julie Benz wasn't hot in it too :( I remember she voiced Miranda Keyes.

Generally, I like to see mass killing, but I'm not really impressed when I see one man blowing through several hundred trained soldiers and taking no injuries at all.

Terry
June 6th, 2008, 09:48 AM
I knew it was just going to be mindless killing so I wasn't disappointed at all tbh. I especially liked the sniper guy's fighting scenes.

SMASH
June 6th, 2008, 11:15 AM
I'm not picky when it comes to movies, so I enjoyed it. Heck I even enjoyed DOOM. Trust me, you're a happier person if you aren't too picky. I thought the final scene was awesome, and also the way Rambo planted the claymore. Priceless :).

kenney001
June 7th, 2008, 12:25 PM
I saw it, and I can't understand why the back said R for gore, I didn't see ANY...

Mr Buckshot
June 8th, 2008, 02:10 AM
Hey, these are old Western men doing the ratings. In their eyes, the scene where Rambo decapitates the gunner on the jeep is classified as extreme gore. Or the scene where Rambo stabs the army leader (colonel?) and then slashes the machete to the side.

Longshot
June 8th, 2008, 07:05 AM
Hey, these are old Western men doing the ratings. In their eyes, the scene where Rambo decapitates the gunner on the jeep is classified as extreme gore. Or the scene where Rambo stabs the army leader (colonel?) and then slashes the machete to the side.

Haha, yeah, he pretty much disemboweled him, excellent scene and an excellent action film. I’m planning on buying it on DVD when it releases soon.

kenney001
June 9th, 2008, 01:21 AM
did anyone notice the guys legs rolled at a different rate than the torso? You can also see light between the two halves right after rambo kicks him.....

The legs spin 2 times around before the top even starts....

awesome effects there

Mr Buckshot
June 11th, 2008, 03:15 PM
shit you actually noticed that? I gotta see this again.

I loved the mercenaries, they all fought bravely, and those who were killed did not die in vain.