PDA

View Full Version : help help help! overwrote an important file

Masterz1337
July 5th, 2008, 12:26 AM
So I accidently overwrote a file I was working on, with a blank version of it. The thing is, I saved the file I needed just seconds before I overwrote it. Is there any place in windows where it might have saved a temporary version of said file? Or any way to recover it?

Zeph
July 5th, 2008, 12:32 AM
If you overwrote it, 99.9999% no.

Bodzilla
July 5th, 2008, 12:46 AM
if it's really really important there would be software someoen that would help you recover it.

doesnt your hard drive have to be over written like 10 times before all the information was lost?
my brother used to do a bit of hardware and software recoverey while working on the IT idustry.
Funny thing is one day he went to recover some files for this chick in the office, and in the process found loads of naked pictures of her.

he lol'd and forwarded them on.

Amit
July 5th, 2008, 01:12 AM
Funny thing is one day he went to recover some files for this chick in the office, and in the process found loads of naked pictures of her.

he lol'd and forwarded them on.

Hawt, PM pics?

Bodzilla
July 5th, 2008, 01:22 AM
nah i think he just forwarded them around the office lol

flibitijibibo
July 5th, 2008, 08:41 AM
See if you can't get them pics...

Masterz: Think system restore would have it? If you didn't have it in your user folder it may be in some old backup.

Syuusuke
July 5th, 2008, 10:05 AM
I don't think system restore works like that. I want to try that though.

InnerGoat
July 5th, 2008, 11:38 AM
So I accidently overwrote a file I was working on, with a blank version of it. The thing is, I saved the file I needed just seconds before I overwrote it. Is there any place in windows where it might have saved a temporary version of said file? Or any way to recover it?
yeah there is, what version of windows?

Masterz1337
July 5th, 2008, 12:18 PM
Vista Ultimate.

StankBacon
July 5th, 2008, 12:21 PM
just look in all your temp folders and shit.

jcap
July 5th, 2008, 03:22 PM
Right click the folder, click Previous Versions, find a recent date of the folder to open, copy the file out of there.

Masterz1337
July 5th, 2008, 05:25 PM
If you were a girl I would kiss you jcap. I R heart you.