PDA

View Full Version : [Halo/HaloCE] Changing your IP

Apoc4lypse
July 8th, 2008, 07:25 PM
Alright well, for a while now I've been wrestling with this linksys router and I finally figured out why it doesn't want to let me host games. (My modem is fast enough to support at least 8 maybe 10 people, I could probably go higher though). The problem has always been my linksys router (currently using it wireless, but that doesn't matter, I'm going to get a wired connection going once I get this stuff straitened out, wireless I can play small games though).

Anyway, I always figured the port forwarding wouldn't work, but I finally found out why the halo game servers won't list my game, and it was a lot simpler then I thought. Halo uses the ip address your computer is using when it makes a server, so its using the local static IP I have set up on my network, not the actual WAN IP which is required for people to be able to see/join the game. For the first time I was able to get my friend to join a game over the internet today by using direct IP using the WAN IP address.

What I want to know is if I can tell halo to host the game using the wan ip address so people will hopefully then be able to view my server in the server lists.

I searched google, but didn't find much, and was hoping there might be some sort of configuration settings in the CE/Halo directory, but I can't find anything...

I do have one idea for how to trick it though because I think halo checks ur computers ip address at startup and then uses this, so I figure if I make my computer pretend to use the wan ip when I start the game, maybe halo will use the same address when I make the server... I was sort of hoping there was another way to do it though, you should be able to edit the IP address when your making a server shouldn't you, it doesn't let me though XD.

E: I think this is the right forum right... tech talk.

E: Yeah, my idea for tricking it into using the right IP worked... I'm still hoping theres an easier way to do it :-/ lol

Syuusuke
July 8th, 2008, 07:39 PM
If your server won't show up on the list, I think you definitely do need some port forwarding there =(... Though you seem very pissed at that idea =D.

My Halo CE server does not show up on Gamespy (http://hce.halomaps.org/index.cfm?nid=238)

UXB/Dennis to the rescue

Note: I don't know if it'll help,

Apoc4lypse
July 8th, 2008, 07:51 PM
lol... I already have port forwarding working, currently the problem lies with halo thinking that my address is the same thing as my local network address, I can't get it to use my routers address so that my router can then forward the halo information to my ip.

Halo just uses my static ip which isn't the right ip because thats not a public ip, its my LAN ip address and its trying to host an online server with it.

The only way I can get it to use the proper ip is by tricking it by changing my pc's ip to my routers ip (disabling my internet connection in the process for some time) then starting up halo (halo then uses this ip) then change my pc's ip back to the correct one. Then halo will still be using the router address and the server will show up, I'm just wondering if theres an easier way to make halo use what ever ip address I want when I host servers.

Cortexian
July 8th, 2008, 08:32 PM
sv_public 0

makes it run on LAN only... It shouldn't be using your LAN IP for internet games, or your WAN IP for local games...

Apoc4lypse
July 8th, 2008, 09:05 PM
n/m... your still not understanding my problem.

I'm on a wireless network, actually doesn't matter that its wireless. (unless were talking about speed...)

My problem is, halo keeps wanting to use my computers ip address, which is wrong for how my network is configured, and it can't be configured any other way if I'm using the router.

Information gets sent to my pc through my router's ip address, which is then sent to my pc's ip address. Halo doesn't normally work with the router I'm using, so I have to use port forwarding, I have this set up and its working fine.

The problem I'm having now is that halo's decided it wants to use the static ip address I configured for my computer to use which is a network address because I'm on a network, even though I'm running a public server, halo doesn't know the correct address to use when it tells the server lists the ip, and by default halo uses the ip address your computer is using to connect to the internet, which in this case is an internal network address that my router uses to send me information from the internet thus my server does not appear on the server lists but people can still connect via direct ip if I give them my routers ip. My computer is behind a router, the problem is halo doesn't know this, it only knows to look for the computers ip address, and this address is behind the router, so no one ever actually sees it, which is why I cannot use this address to host a server, its not a public address, only my router uses it, which is how port forwarding works, I tell my router to forward the halo ports 2302 2303 and port 80 to my computers address.

What I need to do is make the halo server lists use my routers address, that way all the information is then sent to my router which is publicly connected to the internet and not masked behind a router. This information then gets forwarded to my computers address and no one else's on the network.

All I need is some way to specify when I'm creating a halo server what ip address it should use, and I'll be fine. I have found a workaround (described in my above post's) but its annoying so I was hoping there was a way to just pick the ip address my server uses.

Long story short, is there anyway to edit the ip address manually that halos going to use to host there server with out actually changing your computers ip address?

ExAm
July 8th, 2008, 09:42 PM
On port forwarding, make sure that those ports are still forwarded to your machine's local IP. It shouldn't matter that Halo lists that as your server's IP, if it's forwarded absolutely correctly. If you do not have UPnP enabled, then find it and turn it on. If you're testing whether it works by telling people to join by your local IP, which I assume you are not doing, but I'm saying this just in case, then that won't work. If you haven't, ask someone to join your server by inputting your external IP, which you can find by going to whatismyip.com. If that doesn't work, and you're absolutely sure you've got forwarding set up right, then I don't know what to tell you.

If you've got the stuff forwarded like this:
2302-2302 Both [internal ip]
2303-2303 Both [internal ip]
I haven't had good experiences with that working.

Try
2302-2302 TCP [internal IP]
2303-2303 UDP [internal IP]

I THINK that's what I did. It may have been:
2302-2302 TCP [internal IP]
2302-2302 UDP [internal IP]
2303-2303 TCP [internal IP]
2303-2303 UDP [internal IP]

Try them both, if you haven't already.

Apoc4lypse
July 8th, 2008, 09:59 PM
no no no... I got people to join it already it works, its just not listed...

the problem is halo doesn't know I have an external ip, so it tells the servers that the server ip is my internal ip, thus why people can't see the server on the list. I can get people to join using direct ip when I tell them the external ip.

What I don't know how to do is to get halo servers to use my external ip, because when I start up halo and go to make a server, it uses my internal ip, so no one ever sees a server running because its an internal ip address that its trying to list for the server or what ever.

I'm guessing it has to do with UPnP not being enabled, how do I tell if thats enabled? and if its not how do I do that?

E: Thanks for helping me out that worked, and thanks for taking the time to help me test it. I'ma lock the thread now.

ExAm
July 8th, 2008, 10:06 PM
First of all, find out if your router even HAS UPnP. Most do, so it should be there. I forgot where it was, myself, but use google and you should be able to find out.

And I'd still have a look at your port forwarding. I suspect that if Gamespy isn't seeing your real IP through your internal IP, then your forwarding isn't working right. I could be wrong.