PDA

View Full Version : Mirrors Edge

Saggy
July 15th, 2008, 12:43 PM
http://www.g4tv.com/e32008/videos/26959/Mirrors_Edge_Gameplay_Trailer.html

It's coming out on the Xbox 360, PS3, and PC. Any of you guys interested in it? I know I am.

EDIT: More gameplay
http://www.gametrailers.com/player/usermovies/239605.html

Botolf
July 15th, 2008, 01:15 PM
Definitely intrigued by it, seems like a really daring and potentially pioneering game.

Terin
July 15th, 2008, 01:28 PM
The first gameplayer trailer of this really drew me in. I'll buy it when it comes out, definitely.

SMASH
July 15th, 2008, 02:19 PM
Seems like a superfast platformer with some parkour (sp?) and martial arts... seems cool.

FireDragon04
July 15th, 2008, 03:34 PM
Defiantly going to be cool. The Live gameplay we saw at E3 was nice, but more importantly there is a hands on demo at E3 tonight aswell.

Corndogman
July 15th, 2008, 04:32 PM
Reminds me of PoP meets TF2, and another game i cant quite think of. It definitely looks interesting so I'll probably get it when it comes out.

BobtheGreatII
July 16th, 2008, 03:26 AM
Looks cool to me, definitely gonna have to pick it up.

Warsaw
July 16th, 2008, 04:50 PM
Reminds me of Portal, because it's a sort of puzzle game with combat as a secondary objective.

Will get.

Arteen
July 16th, 2008, 05:39 PM
I've been looking forward to this ever since I saw the first trailer. I hope it will be awesome.

Bastinka
July 16th, 2008, 05:41 PM
Eh it looks ok, kind of unrealistic but eh its a video game.

It's a mix of Mail Woman, Parkour, Asian Moves, and some random people coming to shoot you.

TeeKup
July 16th, 2008, 05:48 PM
I'd normally point and say "ew EA." But this looks interesting. I'll be sure to keep an eye on it.

Con
July 16th, 2008, 05:53 PM
It looks damn nice, thats for sure.

thehoodedsmack
July 16th, 2008, 06:10 PM
I think I'd like it more as a third person experience, but maybe it'll be cool.

BobtheGreatII
July 16th, 2008, 07:35 PM
Nah... because I hate to say it... but Assassin's Creed ruined the rooftop running for me in 3rd person. The idea of having this in 1st person seems like it might be more thrilling. Gives the feeling (at least to me) of real heights, and the fear of falling. Just looks cool. I want to say original... but I'm not sure if anyone else has done something like this. On that note, I hope all the buildings are different... unlike, again, Assassin's Creed where you ran across the rooftops of the same 6 buildings. Don't get me wrong I enjoyed Assassin's Creed, just a bit to repetitive.

Corndogman
July 16th, 2008, 09:18 PM
I showed my friend the trailer and he said he didn't like how you could see your hands and the rest of the body actually moving when you run. I'm like. "well what does it look like IRL when you're walking around every day?

Anyways, The game looks really interesting and fun to play, and i agree with bob. It seems like you will be more immersed in the game in first person.

legionaire45
July 17th, 2008, 02:28 PM
Interesting looking.

Heathen
July 17th, 2008, 09:47 PM
I showed my friend the trailer and he said he didn't like how you could see your hands and the rest of the body actually moving when you run. I'm like. "well what does it look like IRL when you're walking around every day?

I as just about to say that.

LinkandKvel
July 17th, 2008, 10:40 PM
I don't know why you guys hate EA so much. I love em. Just played all their games and their great, but then again I do like all genres of games except RTS'

Heathen
July 18th, 2008, 01:22 AM
I like EA....

This game makes me want to shit. I love it.

I am going to get this legally I love it so much.

ExAm
July 19th, 2008, 03:27 AM
Nah... because I hate to say it... but Assassin's Creed ruined the rooftop running for me in 3rd person. The idea of having this in 1st person seems like it might be more thrilling. Gives the feeling (at least to me) of real heights, and the fear of falling. Just looks cool. I want to say original... but I'm not sure if anyone else has done something like this. On that note, I hope all the buildings are different... unlike, again, Assassin's Creed where you ran across the rooftops of the same 6 buildings. Don't get me wrong I enjoyed Assassin's Creed, just a bit to repetitive.I didn't really notice any repetitive gameplay. Granted, the goals are most often the same, but how you achieve them can differ greatly. I absolutely loved that game, honestly. One of the best I've ever played. I didn't really notice building repetitiveness all that much.

Heathen
July 19th, 2008, 04:23 AM
I agree with ExAm. Its a fantabulous game and I have played the hell out of it since I got it.

LinkandKvel
August 22nd, 2008, 04:03 AM
NEW VIDEO!!!
http://xbox360.ign.com/dor/objects/949455/mirrors-edge/videos/MirrorsEdge_082008.html :awesome:

Evil_Monkey
August 22nd, 2008, 05:12 AM
The games looks awesome, can't wait to get it. The way the first person is set out somewhat makes you feel you're actually there. The sounds are very realistic as well which makes the game seem more realistic.

FireDragon04
August 22nd, 2008, 06:17 AM
The sounds are very realistic as well which makes the game seem more realistic.
Exactly what i was about to type.
The sounds sound so real, they must have some top notch foley artists and recording equipment behind this game.

Graphics are such a good mix of styles, but so well done nothing is butchered, i just can't wait to get my hands on it demo or full game...it doesn't matter.

Saggy
August 22nd, 2008, 02:08 PM
Wow, this games looks more challenging then I thought. I thought the puzzles were going to be straight forward, hit the red marks, but after seeing that video, there are some parts were there were no red objects leaving it up to you to find your way. Makes the game more fun in my opinion.

Ifafudafi
August 22nd, 2008, 02:48 PM
I fap to Mirror's Edge gameplay videos every day before bed. :pervert:

Looks new and exciting, in contrast to all the new FPS'es coming out this fall. I'm still not sure if it'll pay off, though, so I'll read some reviews and try a demo (if there is one) before I pick it up. I'm cautious like that.

CN3089
August 22nd, 2008, 02:58 PM
Wow, this games looks more challenging then I thought. I thought the puzzles were going to be straight forward, hit the red marks, but after seeing that video, there are some parts were there were no red objects leaving it up to you to find your way. Makes the game more fun in my opinion.

They've said you can turn off the 'runner vision' entirely, as well.

Botolf
August 22nd, 2008, 03:26 PM
Looks awesome. Want.

They've said you can turn off the 'runner vision' entirely, as well.
Whoa, really? Hell yes, total immersion!

Higuy
August 22nd, 2008, 09:09 PM
Looks really cool. Must want, though im kinda sad its not sopposed to be a shooter.

BobtheGreatII
August 22nd, 2008, 09:59 PM
Looks really cool. Must want, though im kinda sad its not sopposed to be a shooter.

You still get to shoot though. :v:

Saggy
September 2nd, 2008, 10:12 PM
System specs:

CPU: Pentium 4 at 2.4 GHz / Athlon 64 2800+
RAM: 1GB
Gfx card: GeForce 6 Series with 256MB VRAM or higher, or ATI X1650 (or HD2400)

Saggy
October 31st, 2008, 06:41 AM
Sorry for double post and bump, but the demo is out on XBL Marketplace (and the Playstation store for all those fags cool people who own a PS3). Not sure if there is going to be a PC demo out though. Will edit this post with a "review" when I am actually able to play.

seriously though, i love the ps3!

Zeph
October 31st, 2008, 09:25 AM
I'm dying to get this for PC, but I dont want to deal with EA's DRM shit. If I get it, it'll be for the 360.

Rob Oplawar
October 31st, 2008, 11:06 AM
Well, I guess I'm gonna be downloading it from the Playstation Store, since my 360 decided to crap out on me. Thanks for the heads up.

Botolf
October 31st, 2008, 11:23 AM
I'm hoping there'll be a PC demo.

JDMFSeanP
October 31st, 2008, 07:04 PM
Wow this is amazingly fun. So immersive and flowing.

Only thing is the demo level is like 5 minutes :[ Makes me worry about them stretching this out for a whole game.

Heathen
October 31st, 2008, 07:46 PM
Played the demo in Gamespot (In full spartan armor I might add)

pretty badass.

Saggy
November 1st, 2008, 10:50 AM
From the demo, this game feels and looks great! The somewhat akward controls (Xbox 360 mind you) take a bit of getting used to (left bumper to jump, left trigger to crouch, right trigger to attack, right bumper to turn around, Y to disarm, and X to enter reaction time. Haven't used A or B buttons yet though), but I guess that where the tutorial at the beginning of the demo comes into.

After completeing the tutorial, the game is very easy to get into. The level you play is the one demonstrated at E3, (jump on to the helicopter at the end) and is actually alot easier than I thought it would be, as it only took about 5-10 minutes to complete, like JDMFseanP said (I say 5-10 because it would only be 5 minutes if you knew exactly what you were doing and did not die).

The one aspect I really like is you can take the set path of the level (objects will be red A.K.A "runner vision") or you can explore and use your moves to get to places faster. Apparently there is an option to turn off "runner vision", but I have yet to find it (haven't really tried to find it tbh).

Combat can be quite annoying though. If you try to disarm an enemy and fail, they hit you and shoot you and you're dead, so there isn't a whole lot of room to fuck up. If you just go in kicking and punching, it takes around 10 hits before the enemy dies, which is shit considering that you can only take around 2-5 hits before you're dead. Also, it is highly recommended that you only try and fight one enemy at a time, otherwise you'll just have your ass handed to you.

All in all, for being a demo, I thought it was really fun and different from the regular FPS. Hopefully in the full version there will be some longer more challenging levels. Almost like Portal, where as you go on through the game, the levels get harder and more challenging to figure out. I can't wait to see what the full game is going to be like.

Rob Oplawar
November 1st, 2008, 12:39 PM
^ he said it all. I tried the demo yesterday, and loved it, although I struggled with the combat, as my reflexes are really terrible. I'm looking forward to the release.

Terin
November 1st, 2008, 12:52 PM
I'm loving it, too. If you don't like how it's kinda short, before you get to the sparring section with Cel in training, you can run through the entire area as many times as you want, at full speed. :awesome:

To turn off runner vision, go to game settings under options. You can also turn off the reticle, too, for motion-sickness fun! I wonder if there will be an achievement for beating the game without a reticle on...

Sever
November 1st, 2008, 01:07 PM
I wonder if there will be an achievement for beating the game without a reticle on...
Nope. All of the achievements can be found HERE (http://mirrorsedge.com/ls/us/index.asp#/achievements/). Be sure to view all 3 tabs - Progression, Racing, and Movement & Combat - to get the full list.

LinkandKvel
November 1st, 2008, 04:53 PM
Without runner's vision makes the game a HELLUVA lot more fun....try it peoples!!!

Corndogman
November 1st, 2008, 04:58 PM
Its very fun, I'll probably get it for Xbox360 at Christmas. Only complaint is that I couldn't skip through the intro video and skip the demonstration every time I failed. But that was only the tutorial part so I'm sure the rest of the game wont have that problem.

LinkandKvel
November 1st, 2008, 05:05 PM
Its very fun, I'll probably get it for Xbox360 at Christmas. Only complaint is that I couldn't skip through the intro video and skip the demonstration every time I failed. But that was only the tutorial part so I'm sure the rest of the game wont have that problem.

Intro vid. after loading chapter dissapears press a or start. Tutorial/demonstration goto pause menu and skip training.

randreach454
November 2nd, 2008, 12:00 AM
game is sick, nuff said..

Hunter
November 2nd, 2008, 08:52 AM
Downloaded the demo, it is awesome. I'm going to buy it.

Saggy
November 4th, 2008, 06:36 PM
A few "new" gameplay videos. Game looks intense!

Chasing Jack Gameplay (http://www.gametrailers.com/player/42223.html?type=flv)

Jump and Slide Gameplay (http://www.gametrailers.com/player/42224.html)

Storm Drains Gameplay (http://www.gametrailers.com/player/41016.html)

Flight Level Gameplay (http://www.gametrailers.com/player/41014.html)

Heathen
November 5th, 2008, 07:31 AM
Awesomecake.

Limited
November 5th, 2008, 11:37 AM
Need Gold account to download Demo. GAY =\

LinkandKvel
November 11th, 2008, 04:33 PM
You guys haven't bought this yet? WTF.

Heathen
November 11th, 2008, 04:41 PM
Not avalable yet.

Terry
November 11th, 2008, 04:43 PM
I played the demo and pretty much loved the gameplay. Only thing was that the controls felt kind of wierd and I would have enjoyed some more customization in that respect. But otherwise, it's pretty solid and I'm considering buying it.

LinkandKvel
November 11th, 2008, 04:51 PM
Not avalable yet.

It was just released today.

Heathen
November 11th, 2008, 05:04 PM
Not here. Not till the 13th.

nick3d
November 11th, 2008, 05:11 PM
Looks awesome, what platforms is it coming out on, and when does it come out in britain?

Wakeboy1337
November 11th, 2008, 05:13 PM
Some websites say Release date is January 1st 09 for pc D:

Saggy
November 12th, 2008, 10:21 AM
Live feed in case you want to see what te games like:
http://www.justin.tv/wandererwillow

I'm fucking broke so I can't get this until Christmas :(

Pyong Kawaguchi
November 12th, 2008, 11:24 AM
I actually played a game just like this, and with similar maps last year, it was called Jump, and was for Gizmondo, but I can't play it anymore because my Giz' got stolen :(.

armoman92
November 12th, 2008, 12:51 PM
this game looks amazing, i think the no bullets being fired achievement is going to be ridiculous to get.

Saggy
November 12th, 2008, 12:57 PM
Tbh, I think that achievement might be fairly easy to get. From the live feed, the guy playing rarely ran into any enemies. If he did, there was probably only 3-5 of them AT MOST. I don't know though, might be more enemies further into the game, although the guy playing was already halfway through the game.

klange
November 12th, 2008, 01:10 PM
Global release is/was-supposed-to-be the 13th, according to every piece of information I've seen (website says 13th world-wide, demo says 13th, commercials say 13th).
Regardless, I'm going to (probably) pre-order it today (yeah, the day before it comes out...) and pick it up tomorrow, which is when my GameStop will have it.

Loved the demo (though I got hung up on one of the training things because I kept jumping off the edge too early...)

e: Got it today, ~9:00 at my mall's GameStop (we have 3 GameStops within limping distance, the one in the mall used to be an EB, they rebranded it to a regular GS)

Saggy
November 14th, 2008, 09:03 PM
For all PC owners, in case you didn't know, the game is expected to ship January 2009. Also, downloadable content is being worked on as well, but no word on when that will be released (most likely next year).
Article: http://www.gameinformer.com/NR/exeres/693040B2-BF05-4E7C-883B-1256F9A084A3.htm

Also, I don't have the game yet (won't until Christmas :() so if you are going to post any spoilers please remember to use the spoiler tags. Thanks!

Sever
November 14th, 2008, 09:12 PM
Will do. So far the game is so much more than I expected it to be. The environments are astoundingly believable and the art direction is whimsical, to say the least. Anyone who isn't planning to get this game is just a fool. I hope you have a fun holiday season of wall-running, zip-lining, and acrobatic jumping.

Also, in Chapter 4, the subway section just blows my socks off. Dodging the trains, then riding them and dodging the overhangs keeps the player interacting with the environment in believable and fun ways.

Phopojijo
November 14th, 2008, 09:32 PM
Great game...

But there's an asterisk on it... you might not like it, but I personally think it ranks up there around game of the year.

If it would have had:
1) An online 4-8 player combat race mode (Or bundled with a multiplayer game Ala Portal/TF2) (#2 is required for this to work)
2) A lot more options in path taking.
3) The frustrating sections smoothed out (Levels 7-9)
4) UnrealEd (for the PC version)

Would have been nearly perfect.
Though those blue runners are a bitch though... man was I happy to get that f'ckin pistol after getting chased by them for ~15 minutes straight.

LinkandKvel
November 14th, 2008, 11:12 PM
Great game...

But there's an asterisk on it... you might not like it, but I personally think it ranks up there around game of the year.

If it would have had:
1) An online 4-8 player combat race mode (Or bundled with a multiplayer game Ala Portal/TF2) (#2 is required for this to work)

Tag mode mb?

klange
November 15th, 2008, 12:18 PM
I had to start shooting people in the mall, at which point I turned to gunning whenever possible.

I'd like to see an open world for multiplayer. Maybe the ability to plan races in such an open world...

Rob Oplawar
November 18th, 2008, 06:53 PM
I felt the ending was really weak, as were certain other points in the storyline. And the game was very short.

Overall I enjoyed it very much, and am going to be spending the next couple of weeks completing the various challenges, but I can't help but feel the storyline let me down a bit. With the fantastic styling I was just expecting something more compelling in terms of story.

Also, there were a couple of points in the level that were really tricky in an unfun sort of way. The parts that had a bunch of challenges in a row that flowed from one to the other were fantastic, but there were some parts that I felt like I just had to stop and align myself and perfectly execute a move to proceed, and that's what had me frustrated. That only happened a couple of times, though.

Really fun game.
Brb, gonna go motion-sickness all over the bathroom.

Sever
November 18th, 2008, 09:43 PM
Yeah, the ending is a bit of a letdown, but it makes you realize that Faith is just human, not a super-heroine, and is in it for only one thing. Also, it's part of a trilogy, per the comments from the developers, from somewhere on the net. Maybe we'll see more about PK and the Mayor, along with Celeste.

Rob Oplawar
November 18th, 2008, 10:20 PM
Honestly, I really think this game would have been best as a single game. I mean, I realize there are practical concerns like earning money and releasing some time this century, but from a non-developer perspective, making a sequel to it seems like it'll just water it down. The first time around it was amazing and different; next time it will be the same game with new levels. Games with really unique gameplay like this really deliver the best impact when they're all in one package.

Damn, Faith is hot.

klange
November 19th, 2008, 10:41 AM
For-pay DLC, mb?

Saggy
December 4th, 2008, 11:04 PM
Well DLC has been confirmed as time trial packs.

width=525 height=300
http://kotaku.com/5102015/mirrors-edge-dlc-in-motion

All I can really say is looks interesting. Gameplay looks intense, but the levels aren't very Mirror's Edge-ish. Still awesome that they're puting out DLC for this game though. Can't wait to see if there will be anymore in the future (multiplayer anyone?)

ExAm
December 4th, 2008, 11:32 PM
I posted that in the OTHER mirror's edge thread >_>

BobtheGreatII
December 4th, 2008, 11:39 PM
That pretty much looks amazing.

Rob Oplawar
December 5th, 2008, 12:14 AM
I will definitely be downloading that as soon as it's released. :awesome:

Heathen
December 5th, 2008, 12:17 AM
I absolutely love this.

And you are crazy.

That is VERY mirrors edgy.

And I am glad their is no multiplayer, it wouldn't work. Faith is good alone and their can be only one. And a vs? Thats stupid.

The only working thing would be a cops and robbers thing. Collect teh bag and return to a point while the other player guards.
And this would get old quick anyways.

LinkandKvel
December 5th, 2008, 01:34 AM
I absolutely love this.

And you are crazy.

That is VERY mirrors edgy.

And I am glad their is no multiplayer, it wouldn't work. Faith is good alone and their can be only one. And a vs? Thats stupid.

The only working thing would be a cops and robbers thing. Collect teh bag and return to a point while the other player guards.
And this would get old quick anyways.

What? Tag would be sweet. *punch* your it. fall and recover for 5 seconds.....next victim....

Phopojijo
December 5th, 2008, 02:02 AM
Yeah there's a lot of things that Mirror's edge could have done.

klange
December 5th, 2008, 10:24 AM
The possibilities for expanding Mirror's Edge are endless. Hopefully they'll take a hint in the next game.

Multiplayer games like tag, coop (I won't go into detail on how it can work here, but trust me, there are ways), an open world + sandbox a la Forge...