PDA

View Full Version : Xbox 360 Video Problems

jcap
July 30th, 2008, 08:08 PM
Yesterday I was playing around in Forge on Avalanche. I was testing an angle for a screenshot I wanted to take, and then got bored. When I was done, I went into a local game and just after the game began, I tapped the right bumper and the video began bugging out. Green lines appeared all over the screen and textures turned purple. The game didn't freeze - it was fully playable. I figured it was a bug so I turned off the console and started it up again. All was fine. I stopped playing after that.

Today I turned on my console and got into a matchmaking game in Halo 3 on The Pit. Half way through the CTF game, the same thing happened again. Since the game was over (and we won), I quit to the dashboard to see if the problem existed there as well, and it did. I turned off my console, and then turned it on again. I decided to try out a different cable, thinking maybe the one I was using was damaged.

The problem was corrected, but after joining my friends in a Forge session while they were waiting for me on Foundry, the video began giving white lines and flashing black. I assumed it was losing its video signal. I turned it off one last time, turned it on, and absolutely no video came up. I'm not getting any red rings - I never have - but this just happened.

Suggestions? Got this box last August. Date of manufacturing is 7/13/2007.

Bastinka
July 30th, 2008, 08:12 PM
Got a warranty?

itszutak
July 30th, 2008, 08:15 PM
Sounds like a video chip problem, but I'd check the cables before I sent it in.

Re-reading it, I think your chip overheated and shut down.

jcap
July 30th, 2008, 09:35 PM
I've let it sit for over two hours now and it's no different than from when the thread was created.

I'm curious now...

I know Microsoft extended their parts and labor warranty from 90 days to 1 year some time ago (3 years for RROD). I also heard that Best Buy is honoring the 1 year warranty by exchanging broken consoles in-store IF it has been less than a year since the date of purchase, regardless of whether or not an extended warranty was purchased with it.

Now, I want to know if Circuit City does the same as Best Buy. I cannot find any relevant exchange information on their website. They have a 14 day return policy for defective electronics and 30 days for everything else. Nothing about exchanges or replacement of items under warranty. Due to the competition, even if they don't support it, they might because of the tension between the two companies.

Bastinka
July 30th, 2008, 09:40 PM
Get to know somebody, or go to a part repairer/replacing shop. It might or might not cost a lot, if you had the RROD you could send it in to MS and they should send you a new one.

Try maybe to phone somebody that could know? An experienced Console owner or maybe talk to the people at the Geek Squad corner in Best Buy.

jcap
July 30th, 2008, 09:57 PM
Yeah, I know that I can just send it in, but I'm not looking forward to waiting 10+ days for it to go through. With it being the last month of summer, this really couldn't have happened at a worse time.

I don't really know anyone who could probably help. I know one friend who works at Geek Squad since he graduated high school, but I doubt they could really be of assistance, especially since that is Best Buy and I bought it at Circuit City.

Also, I'd be a little weary to have a part repaired. I read articles online about which part most likely failed and how to replace it, but the problem with doing so is voiding the warranty.