PDA

View Full Version : Alpha masks and transparency and making some 2d grass sprites.

jngrow
August 30th, 2008, 03:02 AM
Ok, I'm trying to get some 2d grass sprites into my map. I'm having trouble with the alpha transparency (ending up with giant ass white borders). How to I get super cool alpha masks like these?http://img213.imageshack.us/img213/8987/perfectassaplhatransparmn2.jpg
I tried making my grass, then copying it to my alpha and editing the white levels and stuff, but i end up getting lots of transparency nasties... I searched the internets for a while looking for a solution.. any advice?

legionaire45
August 30th, 2008, 03:27 AM
Notice how Bungie's tree sprite diffuse maps have those nice colors in the background? Adding those colors in makes it so that the border is less visable/noticeable (mainly because instead of having white pixels on the borders you have green/whatever color you need which doesn't stand out). The nasties are still there, but now they aren't quite nasties anymore :D.

jngrow
August 30th, 2008, 12:31 PM
Aha, thanks for that, I'll try it.

E: Works good. Only problem now is that I suck at texturing, and getting the colors right is hard too.