PDA

View Full Version : [WIP] Erösion

Higuy
August 30th, 2008, 12:54 PM
Whats up guyz. Me and Disaster have been working on this for a while now. We now have Malloy in are hands on texturing the map too. (Some guy in H3MT you may not now about.)
Anyway yea weve been working on this for some time now. Pics:
http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff260/showbizfluffy/Blue-5.jpg
Are 1337 ground skin: (By Disaster :))
http://i266.photobucket.com/albums/ii256/echo216/renderuvw223copy.png
Applyed to the BSP:
http://i266.photobucket.com/albums/ii256/echo216/ewwskin.jpg
More ingame pics with defualt textures that are being replaced.
http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff260/showbizfluffy/BLUEBASE.jpg
http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff260/showbizfluffy/Tek.png
http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff260/showbizfluffy/BLUEBASE-1.jpg
The texturing should be done in about estamited 6 days, according to Malloy. Uhhh so yea... erm kthxbia.

teh lag
August 30th, 2008, 01:05 PM
If the texturing isn't done, I think some pics of the actual mesh without mis-mapped textures interfering would be better.

It doesn't look bad, but some parts (the structures on the ends) don't look really "forrunner." Nor do the arch-ish things in the middle structures or the random... tower-type things sticking out of the ground. I'd say to refine those to fit more with the forerunner style, but if it's already getting textured I can see that being an annoyance.

E : More

-I'd put some variation into the lower cliffs - at least so that it's not clearly a straight-down extrude.

-To be clear, my real problem with the side structures is the part with the cylinder coming out... it just screams not-forerunner.

Disaster
August 30th, 2008, 01:07 PM
If the texturing isn't done, I think some pics of the actual mesh without mis-mapped textures interfering would be better.

It doesn't look bad, but some parts (the structures on the ends) don't look really "forrunner." Nor do the arch-ish things in the middle structures or the random... tower-type things sticking out of the ground. I'd say to refine those to fit more with the forerunner style, but if it's already getting textured I can see that being an annoyance.
We can always give malloy more work :eyesroll:

Inferno
August 30th, 2008, 01:12 PM
I think it looks really cool. I like the layout and the giant ramp. The cliffs looks really good to.

Rooster
August 30th, 2008, 01:19 PM
its very good... like halo 1. Im so sick of forreruner. At least the terrain look awsome to play on...

Also, edit the skybox to make the lightsource brighter.

other than that, its a very clean model.

Bastinka
August 30th, 2008, 01:23 PM
Other than a couple of minor problems, which I'm too lazy to point out, it's actually pretty well done! Cliffs look very natural.

Disaster
August 30th, 2008, 01:28 PM
Other than a couple of minor problems, which I'm too lazy to point out, it's actually pretty well done! Cliffs look very natural.
You can thank maya for that :p. I was experimenting with maya when I made that cliff geometry.

Bastinka
August 30th, 2008, 01:30 PM
Gotta agree with the cylinder being there, that screams not forerunner.

Disaster
August 30th, 2008, 01:48 PM
Gotta agree with the cylinder being there, that screams not forerunner.
Originality is great in all forms of art right?

teh lag
August 30th, 2008, 02:01 PM

Considering it seems to be trying to emulate a certain style of art, it seems strange having something be a part of the design that never appears in the context of that style.

Higuy
August 30th, 2008, 02:05 PM
k.. I like my tube things though.

Rentafence
August 30th, 2008, 02:20 PM
Map looks too big IMO. But it looks nice. I especially like the arched pathways into the teams bases.

Roostervier
August 30th, 2008, 02:32 PM
If this is a multiplayer map, the gameplay doesn't look that good. From what I can see, you pretty much only have one way to get to the other side to kill people.

thehoodedsmack
August 30th, 2008, 02:52 PM
Looks too big. You should never expect you map to always have 16 people in it. How is it going to fare gameplay-wise if there's only 5 or 6?

Disaster
August 30th, 2008, 02:59 PM
Its only around the size of gulch... And that it has less width wise.

jngrow
August 30th, 2008, 02:59 PM
I'm going to assume that those two midway bases connect/go into some tunnels or something. If not, well then yeah. No gameplay.

Higuy
August 30th, 2008, 03:05 PM
I played it with only 3 people ( the version I showed in sapien ) And it was quite fun. You dont need 16 people or even 8 to have a good time. Also, those two tele bases are connected threw Teleporters to the bigger bases. Sorry forgot to say that.

Bastinka
August 30th, 2008, 05:37 PM
Looks really easy for sniping, now that I think about gameplay.

Beta mbmb?

Disaster
August 30th, 2008, 05:42 PM
Looks really easy for sniping, now that I think about gameplay.

Beta mbmb?
Mb when Malloy finishes texturing and we can get a decent cliff skin.

Bastinka
August 30th, 2008, 06:10 PM
Must spread some more butter before giving it to you again, disaster :[

Keep up on it though!

Disaster
August 30th, 2008, 06:15 PM
Thanks but higuy gets some credit to :(

Sel
August 31st, 2008, 11:27 AM

Yeah, when mass did it last year it was pretty original right?

Otherwise the geometry looks decent, but the gameplay looks bad, way too open, not enough paths to the other flag, and I dont see any sheltered areas to prevent massive spawn killing.

DarkHalo003
August 31st, 2008, 07:51 PM
No trees and it's perfect....or put the trees somewhere else.

Evil_Monkey
August 31st, 2008, 07:59 PM
No trees and it's perfectIt would look like crap with no trees IMO or at least use smaller trees rather than the tall pine trees.

DarkHalo003
August 31st, 2008, 08:02 PM
Yeah, there are too many maps with too many trees in them. I would like to see a map with no trees or hardly any trees at all.

Higuy
August 31st, 2008, 08:22 PM
Wow, without trees, it would be crap.

Inferno
August 31st, 2008, 09:15 PM
Why not just model some new trees. Or to make things easier. Steal them from another game.

Higuy
August 31st, 2008, 11:25 PM
True, I do have Halo 2 trees. Ima get them ingame right now.

The_Wraith
September 1st, 2008, 12:13 AM
When I saw the first render I envisioned a really cool coastal map, which we have...like none of. Too bad...still looks pretty well done though.

Just noticed the ugly as sin and out of place ramps. Please...get rid of those. No need for them since it looks like vehicle gameplay was not in mind at all with the limited driving spaces. I say lose the ramps, give it a tunnel system through the cliff, even a simple one, and put more trees and rocks to give you some cover. Without more cover or a tunnel area, it's just going to be a pistoling/sniping stalemate with lots of warthogs going over the cliff.

Higuy
September 5th, 2008, 07:56 PM
Hey, if You guys see a really crap version of this map up on halomaps soon, blame Kid.

TeeKup
September 5th, 2008, 09:04 PM
I actually like the look of it, I'm just concerned about it being too linear. Try working paths into the cliff walls and work a path that goes lower down the cliff side. Something similar to what Cliffhanger did but make something of your own style and innovation.

Corvette19
September 6th, 2008, 05:08 PM
That looks like it would be fun.
Can't wait to get this!:cool:

Ki11a_FTW
September 6th, 2008, 11:49 PM
so we had a beta tonight, and i was told to make a trailer :-3

1080p (http://files.filefront.com/Peril+Trailer+1080p+HDwmv/;11719627;/fileinfo.html)

Low Quality embed (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ae8vReuZN10)

Higuy
September 7th, 2008, 12:18 AM
:3

DaneO'Roo
September 7th, 2008, 01:39 AM
texturing needs alot of work, and extend the gameplay out a bit more from the edge.

Higuy
September 7th, 2008, 01:45 AM
Yea were gonna re uv' alot of the terrain, and were adding on to the terrain a bit too.

Sel
September 7th, 2008, 07:51 AM
Teleporter by flag. Bad bad bad.

That should be avoided at all costs, and the teleporter should be placed some distance from the flag.

Front of the bases is lame

The interiors are boringly modeled, they look like boxes connected by semi interesting halways.

Otherwise not much more I can say without actually playing it.

Evil_Monkey
September 7th, 2008, 08:18 AM
Even though the video looked a load of fun, the map looks too linear IMO.

That should be avoided at all costs, and the teleporter should be placed some distance from the flag.
I got to agree with that, the flag is way too close the the teleporter.

Higuy
September 7th, 2008, 09:08 AM
Ugh, I never noticed that about the flag, thanks for pointing that out ;)

Corvette19
September 7th, 2008, 01:17 PM
That was some fun.
I loved it.

Higuy
September 7th, 2008, 01:31 PM
New ground skin :D
http://i266.photobucket.com/albums/ii256/echo216/perilgroundskin.jpg
Also fixing the cliff UV's

Corvette19
September 7th, 2008, 01:34 PM
Oh, cool!
Making a new beta soon?

Higuy
September 7th, 2008, 01:38 PM
When SilentWind is done with new terrace on the side of the cliffs, and re populate the map on my new computer yea.

jngrow
September 7th, 2008, 02:00 PM
Ground texture is a little off considering I doubt people would constantly, deliberately walk RIGHT next to the edge (look at the middle bases, why would the paths be there? nobody would want to walk that way). Looks good though.

Bastinka
September 7th, 2008, 02:05 PM
Why are there sooo many random triangles that don't need to be there?

It's like you selected random polies and hit tesselate.. :confused:

Sel
September 7th, 2008, 02:07 PM
I thought disaster did the cliffs :\

Disaster
September 7th, 2008, 02:19 PM
I modeled the cliff geometry. Silent is going to add a terrace in the side of the cliff to make it larger.

Hunter
September 8th, 2008, 01:05 PM
It needs some kind of large forerunner structure in the middle for cover from snipes across from bases. Something like the structure in the middle of avalanche, which is like a bridge type thing.

And the lower cliff edge needs more destruction and missing rock look.

Cortexian
September 8th, 2008, 04:33 PM
I'm thinking it would be cool to have an alternate vehicle route on the map. I've yet to play it but I'm talking about something like so:
http://lancersedge.exofire.net/pics/HALO/CE/peril_bridge_addon.jpg

Add a tunnel behind each base that leads down to a vehicle bridge that comes right up behind the other base in the same fashion. It's in view of the players so they can see enemy vehicles coming and adjust strategy accordingly.

Just my little idea. The map looks pretty good so far though.

Sel
September 8th, 2008, 04:47 PM
that is dum u r dum :downs:

Ki11a_FTW
September 8th, 2008, 05:10 PM
i was thinking maybe another lower level cliff where freelancer has the bridge, and lead the teleporters to there instead, for a walking route

Disaster
September 8th, 2008, 06:44 PM
Thats what we had in mind. I have higuy working on it right now because I'm going to be busy this week. Normally I would work on it though =(

Higuy
September 8th, 2008, 06:49 PM
Lol im lazy and not working on it but instead secrets and the tree's.

L0d3x
September 8th, 2008, 07:20 PM
I only read the original post, and my feedback would be that those two big structures need more err "towerness" to it. Like some big-ass spire sticking out or something like that. Other options are to make it withdraw smoother in the cliff, kind of like that thing in the middle of the H3 map "Avalanche".

Huero
September 8th, 2008, 08:19 PM
Isn't it kind of stupid to have a random umlaut in the name?

Higuy
September 9th, 2008, 03:34 PM
Lol we changed it.

Reaper Man
September 10th, 2008, 04:18 AM
You forgot to add wind for the flags. I'm liking the map though, had a similar idea a while back. Also, as everybody else said, texturing, work on it.

E: saw new textures on previous page. Awesome, though I hope you plan to keep the grass as green as it was in the beta vid, It looks sweet.

Also, cliff edge seems kinda abrupt, chamfer it in some places maybe?

StankBacon
September 10th, 2008, 04:43 AM
I'm thinking it would be cool to have an alternate vehicle route on the map. I've yet to play it but I'm talking about something like so:

Add a tunnel behind each base that leads down to a vehicle bridge that comes right up behind the other base in the same fashion. It's in view of the players so they can see enemy vehicles coming and adjust strategy accordingly.

that would be mega win, a little out of place, but still, for gameplay it would rawk.

PlasbianX
September 10th, 2008, 05:59 AM
What if it was a cavern under the map that you could go through?

EDIT: Nvm, you said so you can view vehicles coming.

Pooky
September 10th, 2008, 12:19 PM

Do this.

Also give the tunnels to the bridge a narrow opening and have the vehicles spawn in a garage that opens onto the bridge.

Keeping the vehicles contained down there would give players a fast way to get to the enemy base if they needed it, but would also bring the risk of facing enemy vehicles in combat. Therefore, control of the lower vehicle route would be vital to capturing and protecting the flag.

Malloy
September 10th, 2008, 04:07 PM
hmm bridge idea is good, but with better architecture for the bridges model :P

Cortexian
September 13th, 2008, 02:25 PM
hmm bridge idea is good, but with better architecture for the bridges model :P
What you don't like my 1 minute 'shoop textures?

:(

Seriously though, adding a bridge out there, far enough out so that people can see the other team coming would totally complete the maps gameplay. Do EET!

And send me a Beta because it was my idea D: