PDA

View Full Version : CPU Overclocking help

Hotrod
August 31st, 2008, 08:38 PM
Well, I got my new computer, but sadly, I didn't end up getting a Quad-Core, for various reasons. So, I'm stuck with my Dual-Core. It hasn't really caused me any problems, but I was still wondering if I could make it run a little better, and the obvious way to do that is overclocking.

However, I have no knowledge in this kind of stuff whatsoever, and I knew that some of you guys do. So, any advice?

Kalub
August 31st, 2008, 08:43 PM
Uhh.... the Quads aren't much faster really. But, it really depends on what motherboard you have. Some make it easier and some make it harder.

Hotrod
August 31st, 2008, 09:03 PM
I know that the Quads aren't that much faster, but I'm still interested in overclocking my CPU, but don't know how to do so.

flibitijibibo
August 31st, 2008, 09:12 PM
Change the FSB in the BIOS. That's all I feel like explaining, so jfgi.

Saggy
August 31st, 2008, 09:15 PM
First of all, you'll want to find out what motherboard you have. Then, check what type of BIOS you have, and make sure they're up to date.

Follow this tutorial. http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleid=1804&page=7
Familiarize yourself with the termonolagy, and print out the tutorial if you have to, otherwise MAKE SURE YOU KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING BEFORE HAND!!

If it happens were your motherboard and/or BIOS do not let you edit your CPU speeds, there are program alternatives such as ClockGen (http://files.extremeoverclocking.com/file.php?f=189) that can do it for you, but it can be risky. Overclocking your CPU manually from the BIOS is your best option.

Hopefully this helps, and good luck!

Abdurahman
September 1st, 2008, 01:08 AM
Bassically If you have an AMD motherboard you're best not overclocking your memory too much, so you should set a divider for your mem, something like 4:5 or something. Next you lower your hypertransport to x3 or x4, then raise ur fsb like 20 or 40 mhz. Then start your computer! That's how I did it. It may be different for intels, so sorry.

Hotrod
September 1st, 2008, 09:07 AM
Ok, the processor I'm trying to overclock is an AMD Athlon64 X2 5000+, running at 2.6Ghz. How much would I be able to overclock it without damaging it? Oh, and I have a 450 Watt Power Supply, if that has anything to do with overclocking.

Patrickssj6
September 1st, 2008, 09:51 AM
As long you don't modify the Voltage of your CPU the Watts shouldn't matter.

the X2s are very good OCers. I have a 3800 (2GHz by def) and overclocked it to 2.5GHz without any heat raise and voltage raise.

What motherboard do you have? We need the chipset. If it's Nvidea they have an automatic overclocking tool.

Hotrod
September 1st, 2008, 10:07 AM
All I know is that it's an AMD motherboard.

Patrickssj6
September 1st, 2008, 10:38 AM
Google CPU-Z and post a screenie of the Mobo tab.

Hotrod
September 1st, 2008, 11:26 AM
Ok, here's what i got for the mobo :
http://img82.imageshack.us/img82/3403/99756861ye2.jpg

Warsaw
September 1st, 2008, 12:51 PM
I've never heard of an MCP61 chipset in my life...

To overclock my CPU, all I need to do is go to the BIOS>Power Management>FSB, and raise the frequency on the FSB, and maybe the voltage depending on how high I want to go (can't go too high, because AMD 64 3200+ is a HORRID overclocker).

Hotrod
September 1st, 2008, 01:00 PM
Alright, I'll try that out, and see what happens. How high do you think I could bring it?

Hotrod
September 1st, 2008, 02:08 PM
Sorry for the double post.

I've tried what you guys said, but there's none of those options in the BIOS. It's as though they're stopping me from overclocking on purpose. Any ideas?

Evil_Monkey
September 1st, 2008, 04:28 PM
Is it a pre-built machine like a Dell or did you custom build it? If I remember correctly some companies like that prevent you from over-clocking them without 3rd party software. Thats what they did with an old P4 Dell I use to have.

Hotrod
September 1st, 2008, 04:35 PM
It's a pre-built machine (except for the video card), since my dad wouldn't let me custom build... I'm guessing that they disabled overclocking. Any ideas to how I can get around this?

Evil_Monkey
September 1st, 2008, 04:42 PM
It could be possible that they have disabled it then, you can over-clock using third party applications. Have a read through this website I just found you may find it useful http://www.helpoverclocking.com

I have never used any third party software to overclock, I do it through the BIOS settings so I wouldn't be able to recommend you to any particular software.

Hotrod
September 1st, 2008, 05:26 PM
Thanks, I'll take a look at that.

Limited
September 1st, 2008, 05:41 PM
If I was you I wouldnt go too overboard, my BIOS settings let me overclock from 2.4Ghz to 3.2Ghz, but I dont want to do that because thats one hell of a jump and a big risk.

Mines single core too, the slowness is killing me :O

Saggy
September 1st, 2008, 09:33 PM
It's a pre-built machine (except for the video card), since my dad wouldn't let me custom build... I'm guessing that they disabled overclocking. Any ideas to how I can get around this?
I'm guessing you didn't read my post on the first page...

Cortexian
September 1st, 2008, 09:49 PM
I haven't used AMD forever, so do their motherboards/processors act just like Intel setups for overclocking (CPU Multiplier x FSB / 4 = CPU speed)?

If so, use that formula to find the CPU speed you want, and adjust your FSB accordingly (most CPU multipliers are locked)... Once you have the speed you were aiming for, download and run Prime 95 and Core Temp (Google them) for an hour or so to get a rough idea of the temps you're going to run into.

Hotrod
September 2nd, 2008, 06:24 AM
I'm guessing you didn't read my post on the first page...
Oh, right, I forgot to mention that I tried using the program, but the option to change the clock values wasn't there.

Saggy
September 2nd, 2008, 06:43 AM
If you use ClockGen, then when you start it up, you have to select PLL Setup, and chose your PLL. Search "Clockgen PLL" on Google for finding the one that suits your hardware. Then, in ClockGen, you select PLL Control to control how many MHz you want for your processor. Apply, and restart your computer, and open up CPU-Z to make sure your changes were applied. Note that with this program you can't change voltage settings, so I wouldn't raise it too high. If your specs on modacity are correct, then you should be able to raise from 2.6 GHz (2600 MHz) to 2.8 GHz (2800 MHz).

Hotrod
September 2nd, 2008, 03:45 PM
There's no setting for "PPL Setup", this is what it shows :
http://img84.imageshack.us/img84/6599/52597441ov6.jpg

Abdurahman
September 2nd, 2008, 07:14 PM
Ah yes, those Elitegroup Motherboards will not allow you to overclock. Especially pre-built computers. If you could buy a new motherboard to replace it, I'm guessing you have an am2? Yeah, try to buy the Biostar Tforce Tf720. It's a fabulous motherboard with LOADS of overclocking features, and some other good features. It's a very reliable motherboard. Just ask ExAm. I helped him buy that motherboard and an AMD athlon 64 X2 5000+ Black edition, and walked him through step by step, and now he has a 3.2ghz processor instead of a 2.6ghz processor! Just ask him, he loves his new computer.

The motherboard also has a pci-e 2.0 slot, and lots of other good features.
Here's the link http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813138117

You won't regret it! It's only 69.99! And the best thing is, if you ever want to upgrade to a quad core phenom, all you need to do is buy the cpu, pop it in, and whammo! It works perfectly.

But if your dad doesn't want it, then maybe you're screwed, until they release a new version of clockgen anyway!

Hotrod
September 2nd, 2008, 07:41 PM
Well, I think my dad wouldn't mind me doing that, since it's not a complete overhaul, but don't you have to reinstall Windows if you change the motherboard?

I'll look into that though, thank you.

Abdurahman
September 2nd, 2008, 07:43 PM
Nope, ExAm didn't have to reinstall anything. Everything went as planned. If you need help overclocking on the biostar board, just add me on aim/msn/xfire, and we'll talk.

ExAm
September 2nd, 2008, 08:24 PM
^This man speaks the truth, even if he is slightly annoying at times :P