PDA

View Full Version : K guys, time for script innovation

Rob Oplawar
October 10th, 2008, 11:08 AM
I'm currently tossing around an idea for Bridge that's never been done before in CE, afaik. No, I'm not gonna tell you what it is, until I know that it's both feasible and fun.

One thing that would make this feature work better for the player is if I could have consecutive map files remember something that the player did in the preceding map. So guys, think hard,
do you know of any established methods for persisting data from level to level, and if not, can you think of any clever hacks (using scripts) to get it to work?

e: Rob actually working on BCE? Inconceivable! ;O

Kornman00
October 10th, 2008, 12:40 PM
f0 to f5. they can store floating point values for you, they're engine globals (unused in the actual game build)

Dwood
October 10th, 2008, 02:33 PM
f0 to f5. they can store floating point values for you, they're engine globals (unused in the actual game build)

Explain, please. This intrigues me.

Rob Oplawar
October 10th, 2008, 03:02 PM
map 1:
(set f0 1.0)
map 2:
(if (= f0 1.0) ...)

like so?

Hunter
October 10th, 2008, 03:40 PM
:XD:

I will leave you to discuss this stuff. Lol

Sever
October 10th, 2008, 03:42 PM
Then leave us alone. Don't come in here for a 'post count +1'. Also, has anyone ever used these before for anything relevant?

Kalub
October 10th, 2008, 07:23 PM
post count +1

I once tried to use them, but I failed

Inferno
October 10th, 2008, 10:06 PM
+2

Rob Oplawar
October 13th, 2008, 06:11 PM
I haven't tried km's suggestion yet (i will be trying it later this week, when I have time), but I've run into a problem I should have predicted from the beginning. By mentioning this problem I'll be pretty much giving away the gist of my idea, but eh, what the hell.
The idea involves switching the player biped ingame, although don't read too much into that, as it's not what you think.

Masterz got me all worked up by suggesting that I use cheat_bump_possession in the script (and dropping a biped on the player during a cinematic to switch it over), but both of us failed to realize that it is a cheat that comes from devmode, and therefore by definition cannot appear in a script.

Do you guys think there is any other way to switch the player's biped ingame, using scripts?

CtrlAltDestroy
October 13th, 2008, 06:13 PM
cheats are global variables.

set cheat_deathless_player true

Ki11a_FTW
October 13th, 2008, 08:22 PM
^

anything that can be used in dev console can be used as a script

Rob Oplawar
October 13th, 2008, 10:51 PM
well don't I feel silly now. :facepalm:
It seems so obvious, in hindsight, to use set instead of trying to use it as a function name.
I guess I was just so used to entering them as functions on the command line...
Well, I will be setting up my scripts sometime this week.

... fuck it, I'll give it a shot now.

e: it worked. Now to get Korndawg's suggestion working, and I'm in business.
Then I'll just have to do a serious script rewrite, and bring back portions of the storyline that I cut out because I thought they were impossible...

Kornman00
October 14th, 2008, 03:31 AM
i lol'd at silly mistake

then continued to watch Lost.

good luck, _o/

Bodzilla
October 14th, 2008, 03:38 AM
This intrigues and arouses me!
please continue!

good luck roberto :D