PDA

View Full Version : Might As Well Flame This...

metsfan0908
October 22nd, 2008, 09:04 PM
This should be funf or you guys...

How Good Do You Guys Think This Model Is?

By the way the side with no wall is gonna be where u fall off and die like in higuy's map peril

i know your all gonna say dont tessleate but its the only way i know how to model "good"

tell me how good this model is...

(please don't be TOO Harse lol cause everything u guys say ill try to fix)

E: How Do you guys make your cliffs like 3D and stuff? instead of just a wall...

http://i38.tinypic.com/zo9uhd.jpg

Inferno
October 22nd, 2008, 09:18 PM
http://www.bluegerbil.net/images/polar-bear-face-palm_thumbnail.jpg

Learn to Model (http://www.modacity.net/forums/showthread.php?t=10916)

Timo
October 22nd, 2008, 09:21 PM
Sorry if this is being too harse, but it's really bad and you need to work on it some more. Watch the tutorial linked, and iirc there's a cliff modeling one around here somewhere, search.

Zeph
October 22nd, 2008, 10:40 PM
Opening this to answer the guy's questions.

The model is relatively bad. Instead of using displacement style mapping by means of tesselation, look into the editable poly tools. Learn how to make use of extrude, bevel, chamfer, hinge from edge, etc.

metsfan0908
October 23rd, 2008, 02:54 PM
i cant find any cliff tutorials

Hunter
October 23rd, 2008, 03:25 PM
At least he isn't using a height map :)

Keep working on it. Make it look "natural".

Lateksi
October 23rd, 2008, 04:23 PM
Learn to Model (http://www.modacity.net/forums/showthread.php?t=10916)

Do you know where I could get that tutorial since its not hosted on filefront anymore?
I have the first video, though.

sevlag
October 23rd, 2008, 05:02 PM
looks to artificial (then again when you make a map its technically artificial no matter how detailed a cliff looks.)

but it could be better, but then again, I've never made a map nor a mod so I should not be here judging you on this, I did however think it a good idea to put in my thoughts.

Hotrod
October 23rd, 2008, 05:09 PM
I agree with the artificial-ness of the map, and it doesn't look like it'd have the greatest gameply, no cover at all.

metsfan0908
October 23rd, 2008, 05:52 PM
i know added lots of stuff

1. flag hills (hills on each side to hold the teams flags)
2. hill/cliff thing in the side to walk up against the wall
3. smoother cliffs
4. still not 3d walls :( someone please help me on making 3d walls i cant find a tutorial anywhere

also i need a name for the map :|

Zeph
October 23rd, 2008, 06:22 PM
Are you at least working in editable poly and using the extrude, bevel, hinge, etc. tools?

MetKiller Joe
October 23rd, 2008, 07:18 PM
metsfan; that name is so familiar.

Bungie.net?

metsfan0908
October 23rd, 2008, 08:29 PM
i dont have a bungie.net profile...

and im useing editble mesh :|

but im moving the vertices around i was gonna make like a bridge but idk how to make it look natrual....

(the cliff on the side i was gonna make a bridge going across the map at about the middle of the hill)

(maybe someone can tell me how to do that...)

http://i33.tinypic.com/301mwwk.jpg

that's the new version model

Dwood
October 23rd, 2008, 08:35 PM
i dont have a bungie.net profile...

and im useing editble mesh :|

but im moving the vertices around i was gonna make like a bridge but idk how to make it look natrual....

(the cliff on the side i was gonna make a bridge going across the map at about the middle of the hill)

(maybe someone can tell me how to do that...)

BIG PICTURE

that's the new version model

The following tutorial will (albeit indirectly) Teach you to use the tools in a very effective manner.

If only llamamaster would get done with his vacations and get on xfire then i could complain to him about an issue with the tutorial about 3/4 the way through.

http://hce.halomaps.org/index.cfm?fid=3628

metsfan0908
October 23rd, 2008, 08:36 PM
what modular level mean?

Con
October 23rd, 2008, 08:38 PM
modular means in pieces

metsfan0908
October 23rd, 2008, 08:43 PM
oh ok

so this video teachs me how to model a map in pieces?

i know hwo to make a map im just not good at modeling (well i am but it looks like shit)
i just ned help smoothing stuff out and making 3d cliffs

i want to make maps like you guys but there are no tutorials that show how to make maps like u guys do u just watch modeling video and put em together....

i cant do that :|

Dwood
October 23rd, 2008, 08:51 PM
oh ok

so this video teachs me how to model a map in pieces?

i know hwo to make a map im just not good at modeling (well i am but it looks like ***)
i just ned help smoothing stuff out and making 3d cliffs

i want to make maps like you guys but there are no tutorials that show how to make maps like u guys do u just watch modeling video and put em together....

YOU LEARN BY LEARNING HOW TO USE THE TOOLS THAT IS HOW YOU LEARN MODEL.

You take one thing you learned in one area and you apply it to another concept. It's how you learn to do everything in the future.

It won't help if you keep complaining either. What you learn for one thing in modeling can be taken and applied to a whole other concept: Indoor level methods can be used to make outdoor levels. Tutorials aren't there to make you a good modeling skill but to teach you how to learn to model on your own using their methods.

90% of art is learning tools and methods the rest is coloring.

DON'T COMPLAIN or else we will simply tell you to stop modeling and try something else.

We are helping you for free man and on our own time. If you don't think it will help you then by all means, ignore the advice.

SnaFuBAR
October 23rd, 2008, 09:12 PM
firstly, learn the tools for modeling. You'll use a few basic tools, most likely, and use some modifiers to achieve an end result. Spend a few days messing with all the modeling parameters and see what each tool and modifier does to forms.

secondly, learn how to plan out a map. Having vision and focus on what you want to achieve will give you morale and you're more likely to follow through to a final product.

thirdly, learn how to do research and gather references for your project. These are paramount to success.

lastly, implement it all.

metsfan0908
October 26th, 2008, 07:57 PM
I've learned how to use editle poly and i know what alot of the tools do now but i still dont know how to odel a forunner base or something

forrunner stuff looks very hard and i tryed trying it on my own and i have absolutly no idea what im doing :|

are there any forunner tutorials? (with voice)