PDA

View Full Version : Custom sounds

ICEE
October 25th, 2008, 06:39 PM
Hey guys, I'm wondering how I would go about making my own sounds. For too long my animations have been silent, and I usually don't make them sync with stock or ripped sounds, so I'm wondering if anyone has some knowledge about making custom sounds that they wouldn't mind sharing. Thanks

teh lag
October 25th, 2008, 06:43 PM
Do you mean compiling or actually making foley sounds?

If the former, I wrote a tutorial at Gearbox.

If the latter, you can always look for sound collections online - I know I found one somewhere with the help of google. Just get something like Audacity to piece them together in sync with your anims. Stock Halo sounds have a lot of potential on their own, don't see why you said you didn't try to use them.

ICEE
October 25th, 2008, 06:49 PM
Well I mean I never tried to sync my animations to them. I don't know how to extract sounds. Also, could you link me to your tutorial? I don't normally use Gearbox so I wouldn't know how to find it.

teh lag
October 25th, 2008, 06:54 PM
http://gbxforums.gearboxsoftware.com/showpost.php?p=987533&postcount=45

You can "extract" sounds by just recording from your sound-out; Audacity should be able to do that. (iirc it's called "what u hear", under sound IO in preferences)

ICEE
October 25th, 2008, 07:12 PM
Thanks a ton lag. I'll search for some sound collections too.

FRain
October 25th, 2008, 08:32 PM
A couple of times I've recorded some regular weapon foley of me banging a two wrenches around. You need to edit the audio on it, or else it'll sound like shit, but it can work wonders.

ICEE
October 25th, 2008, 09:11 PM
Hmm what do you record it with?

Advancebo
October 25th, 2008, 09:22 PM
I use FruityLoops and Audacity