PDA

View Full Version : Opposing Force

Huero
December 4th, 2008, 09:08 PM
Has anybody else come across the glitch in the very beginning of "We are Not Alone"? See, the first thing you really come across is a locked door, and when you try to UNLOCK it... well, it freezes up and you have to Ctrl + Alt + Del it. Can anybody help me with this or am I stuck warping to another map?

Mr Buckshot
December 4th, 2008, 09:14 PM
Are you talking about the scene when you hear Gordon Freeman preparing to jump into the teleporter to Xen (crossover with HL1)?

I have the same problem. When I open the door to that teleporter area, the game freezes and the sound locks into infinite loop. After multiple re-loading of my quicksaves, I tried a "noclip" cheat to just walk through the door instead of opening it, and I STILL got the same problem. In the end I just used a map cheat to skip directly to the brief sequence on Xen.

My version of Opposing Force is fully up-to-date. I asked this question on a different forum and the other guys just said "download the patch" but there don't seem to be any patches at all.

Maybe this could be the result of the High-Def model pack? On my old computer I never had this problem when playing OpFor (I didn't have the high-def pack then because I didn't know about it), but on the one I use now I installed the High-Def pack before playing and then this problem comes up.

Heathen
December 4th, 2008, 09:15 PM
What are we talking about here?

E: ah, hl. nvm

Huero
December 4th, 2008, 09:50 PM
Yeah, that's the place. I haven't actually downloaded the HDR pack to my knowledge (as I don't know how) but if not then it's not an issue with that. Uh, is the Xen sequence the next map, or did you just warp there?

DrunkenSamus
December 5th, 2008, 12:15 AM
Odd. I've never had a problem with Opposing Force like this.

Mr Buckshot
December 5th, 2008, 01:12 AM
Yeah, that's the place. I haven't actually downloaded the HDR pack to my knowledge (as I don't know how) but if not then it's not an issue with that. Uh, is the Xen sequence the next map, or did you just warp there?

Yeah Xen is the exact next part after the place where Opposing Force crashes for you (and me).

In the part where you crash, you're supposed to see Gordon Freeman jumping into the teleporter (don't follow him). Then about 20 seconds later, another teleport ball appears and you jump into that, which initiates the Xen sequence that lasts for under 2 min.

You didn't download the High Def skin pack? It's pretty easy, go google it, and you will appreciate the results even though this is a 10-year-old game engine (I love how the MP5 skin is converted into an M4). Most guns and character models are noticeably enhanced but their function doesn't change.

Hmm...since you didn't download the high def pack I can conclude that it is not the cause of this really irritating crash. If you can't find a fix (I have no luck, tried going into offline mode too, couldn't find any further updates), then just use a cheat code to warp to the Xen area. The only problem is that since you spawn in Xen with absolutely nothing (not even your PCV vest), you have to use the impulse 101 cheat which spoils the experience, as it'll give you weapons that are supposed to be found later on.

EDIT: I just found out that this freezing bug was caused by Steam's most recent update. Valve is responsible for the crashing, damn them.

DrunkenSamus, if you didn't download the Oct 22 2008 update for HL1 games, don't. I don't know what other problems it caused (I set Steam to auto update) to Opposing Force and possibly other HL1 games.

For anyone who downloaded that damned update and wants to play OpFor out of nostalgia (like me), just use cheat codes to "warp" to Xen once you encounter that area.

Huero
December 5th, 2008, 02:46 PM
Rep to you; thanks for the help.