PDA

View Full Version : New Map Idea- Tower Defense

Dwood
January 19th, 2009, 07:53 PM
IGM stole our map idea - * Not really *

So i've been looking for a personal Project to keep me from going suicidal with Sins of a Solar Empire Matches. And here came this idea- No one's made a Tower defense for a Halo Mod.

Due to its nature, the mod would be SP And as I keep thinking of it, i get a wee bit more excited.

As I work on this, I will Post updates on what i'm doing- It will be open sauced in the end.

Right now, as it stands, my scripting ability is rather limited however hopefully with your help I can get over a few hurdles.

Kirby Mentioned the vitality script which can be used for both towers and Ai. I'm working on Lives Right now and a "level" script.

Ideas to help the concept work right now?

Syuusuke
January 19th, 2009, 08:14 PM
I think DMT had that same idea too with their Overhead halo thing

Or are you part of DMT and you mentioned it....?

Dwood
January 19th, 2009, 08:28 PM
I think DMT had that same idea too with their Overhead halo thing

Or are you part of DMT and you mentioned it....?

I am not DMT, also Overhead halo isn't a Tower Defense. It's simply hoping you hit someone (a la aimbot majeek) map when you can only view MC from above.

Limited
January 19th, 2009, 08:40 PM
Hmm, pretty ambitious if you ask me, especially for some one that is limited in the scripting field.

To be perfectly honest, I have no idea how your going to do it, how on earth are you going to put down different things that fire at enemies? In real time too.

Come up with a rough design, work on the core features such as the placing of the towers. Next work on getting basic AI ideas of how they will run in. The challenge as I said is the towers.

I'd love to say, that I think its a great idea, I just think its too impractical, however dont let me stop you, I cant wait to see what happens next on this project :)

Good luck

Heathen
January 19th, 2009, 08:41 PM
I am not DMT, also Overhead halo isn't a Tower Defense. It's simply hoping you hit someone (a la aimbot majeek) map when you can only view MC from above.

The latter part of that post was filled with way too much stupid.

Anyways, I hope you get far with this because it sounds like a great idea.
Kudos for the thought.

Dwood
January 19th, 2009, 09:50 PM
Hmm, pretty ambitious if you ask me, especially for some one that is limited in the scripting field.

To be perfectly honest, I have no idea how your going to do it, how on earth are you going to put down different things that fire at enemies? In real time too.

That's one of the easier parts, actually.

Come up with a rough design, work on the core features such as the placing of the towers. Next work on getting basic AI ideas of how they will run in. The challenge as I said is the towers.

Don't need to tell me that. ;)

As for the towers I have several ideas. I could take this map in 2 ways - Fixed path or 'mazing'

However if worse comes to worse i make the towers drivable (make em weigh super heavy etc) and put some marines in 'em.

I'd love to say, that I think its a great idea, I just think its too impractical, however dont let me stop you, I cant wait to see what happens next on this project :)

Good luck

^ Time's short. I'll respond with an edit. thanks tho. ^_^

Inferno
January 19th, 2009, 09:53 PM
For bitches who don't know bout DMT. Only active members are Me, Delta and Crytic. Everyone else never logs in... Malolo needs to get back its boring being in a Map Team with no cool people. No offense to delta.

Also I know how you could do the tower placement. But it's a secret ;)

(Just say pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeease)

English Mobster
January 20th, 2009, 04:08 AM
Pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeease?

Dwood
January 20th, 2009, 04:29 AM
Pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeease?

^ PM me with how you would do it? (inferno [edit]) Pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeease?

We might be thinking of the same thing Inferno

Hunter
January 20th, 2009, 04:40 AM
For the camera you should let the player press buttons for change camera positions but default should be a birds eye view, but slanted to you can tell its 3D. and Grunts and Hunters for attckers :)

Its a good idea, you just need a nice number or turrets, like the shade turret and stuff.

Inferno
January 20th, 2009, 03:26 PM
Basically script a overhead camera and have a custom biped that's basically just a cross hair to show where you will create towers. Allow the biped to walk around and set towers by firing a "gun" that will create vehicles that are pre-loaded with actor variants (this I can teach you to do with HHT) Multiple weapons can be used to create multiple types of towers also. And you will get ammo for these weapons each round to limit your number of towers created.

Thats a pretty simple explanation of how it would be done. If you need help I can explain in more depth about certain things.

Dwood
January 20th, 2009, 07:14 PM
In effect, the following would occur in the map Marine Defense:

JME-oqCRDVU

Note that I am showing you this specific Starcraft map for demonstrating how the 'upgrading' would occur.

tl dw:

Level beat, new civ unit spawns, while level is over, MC guides civ unit into a spot. (of preferred upgrade/building)

Civ unit dies, 'tower' spawns. (OR, depending on where that unit goes, max health of units increases)

now i just need to script that in....

Syuusuke
January 20th, 2009, 09:31 PM
OMG I USED TO PLAY THOSE TYPES OF MAPS EVERY SINGLE TIME!!

AND THSE BOUND MAPS AHHH@!!

I was sort of thinking a Sandbox type map...but eh

Dwood
January 23rd, 2009, 10:07 PM
OMG I USED TO PLAY THOSE TYPES OF MAPS EVERY SINGLE TIME!!

AND THSE BOUND MAPS AHHH@!!

I was sort of thinking a Sandbox type map...but eh

part 1 - Serious?

Part 2 - of course there is sandbox mode- dev mode!

however, i do think it would be a good idea to have such a thing.

Would probably cut down on script usage.