PDA

View Full Version : Free Donut of Choice = Abortion Donut

flibitijibibo
January 23rd, 2009, 07:13 PM
Clicky (http://blogs.miaminewtimes.com/riptide/2009/01/pro-life_group_up_in_arms_over.php)

The source of "confusion":
Krispy Kreme Doughnuts, Inc. (NYSE: KKD) is honoring American's sense of pride and freedom of choice on Inauguration Day, by offering a free doughnut of choice to every customer on this historic day, Jan. 20. By doing so, participating Krispy Kreme stores nationwide are making an oath to tasty goodies -- just another reminder of how oh-so-sweet "free" can be.It appears crazed christians pro-life groups have begun their Jack Thompson style schizophrenic run. At least it's not a hick "omg nigger" paranoia.

ExAm
January 23rd, 2009, 07:17 PM
They're calling them abortion donuts just because the event has the word "choice" in the title!?

Phopojijo
January 23rd, 2009, 07:18 PM
When in reality it's all just a cash-in promotion.

Heh.

DrunkenSamus
January 23rd, 2009, 07:19 PM
If you're a girl and you're pregnant, it'll kill the baby. If you're a man, you'll get a mangina. =D

Mr Buckshot
January 23rd, 2009, 07:30 PM
This is what happens when some American people forget that their country is supposed to have freedom of speech.

I don't get it though, how in the world could this be interpreted as "abortion?" English is not my first language, but I'm very sure I know the definitions of all the words "free doughnut of choice" well enough. Seems totally nonsensical to me.

ultama121
January 23rd, 2009, 07:36 PM
Yum I'm gonna go get some abortion donuts~ That shit is tasty.

Hotrod
January 23rd, 2009, 07:41 PM
I still don't see where the hell they got the idea that the company was trying to talk about abortion, and even then, what the hell happened to freedom of speech?

blind
January 23rd, 2009, 07:41 PM
what the fuck
I hate people

Mr Buckshot
January 23rd, 2009, 08:18 PM
I still don't see where the hell they got the idea that the company was trying to talk about abortion, and even then, what the hell happened to freedom of speech?

Ditto. See, even a native English speaker here (Hotrod, who's Canadian) doesn't understand the connection between free doughnuts and abortions any more than I do.

ExAm
January 23rd, 2009, 08:25 PM
Ditto. See, even a native English speaker here (Hotrod, who's Canadian) doesn't understand the connection between free doughnuts and abortions any more than I do.
It's the "connection" between the word "choice" in the title of the promotion, and "Pro-Choice" advocates.

Hotrod
January 23rd, 2009, 09:06 PM
It's the "connection" between the word "choice" in the title of the promotion, and "Pro-Choice" advocates.
...well that's dumb...

Phopojijo
January 23rd, 2009, 09:10 PM
Ditto. See, even a native English speaker here (Hotrod, who's Canadian) doesn't understand the connection between free doughnuts and abortions any more than I do.It's simply this:

Some people take politics seriously enough that they forget the reason why they care about their conviction.

The point of politics is to discuss (civilly or, abundantly more often... not) points of view on an issue to come to a decision. It could be the point-of-view of one as per a dictatorship... it could be the point of view of all as in a democracy.

When your biases have no purpose... you're just a zealot who's brainwashed to your own cause, possibly by yourself.

Donut
January 23rd, 2009, 09:20 PM
what the fuck. im ashamed

Mr Buckshot
January 23rd, 2009, 10:29 PM

Still totally nonsensical to me. It's like saying that pencil "lead" is toxic.

These idiots apparently can't see that Krispy Kremes is just trying to be nice to the community and to celebrate a historic moment. They just want to find a target to blame for "supporting abortion," even if the target has a less-than-tenuous connection to what they're fighting against.

No, they just want attention. If they really cared about abortion they'd be rallying outside abortion clinics, not pointing fingers at a donut store.

p0lar_bear
January 23rd, 2009, 10:34 PM
If they really cared about abortion they'd be rallying outside abortion clinics, not pointing fingers at a donut store.

They tried that.

And the clinic owners and clients were smart enough to not feed the trolls.

:smith:s occured.

Mr Buckshot
January 23rd, 2009, 10:42 PM
"Freedom of choice" applies to so many damn things in America, not just "abort the fetus or not." There's freedom of choice of religion, freedom of choice of how rich you want to become, freedom of choice of jobs, freedom of choice of the level of health in your lifestyle, freedom of choice of what to pursue after high school, the list is ENDLESS.

The way I see it this anti-abortion group just wants to be known on the media, whether it's positive or negative attention.

I'm not going to say what's my stance regarding abortion, it'll risk a flame war that this forum doesn't need.

Sel
January 23rd, 2009, 11:05 PM
oh no people having the choice to have an abortion or not

this totally goes against americas ideals and values D:

Jean-Luc
January 23rd, 2009, 11:39 PM
oh no people having the choice to have an abortion or not

this totally goes against Christian ideals and values D:

:eng101:

Mr Buckshot
January 24th, 2009, 12:29 AM
^^What Jean-Luc said^^

I'm atheist, no offence to any religious people but personally I've felt that the whole general concept of a religion is rather silly. No, it's not the "does God exist or not" thing, it's about how all the conflicting ideologies of different religions (or different interpretations of one religion) lead to all this unnecessary CRAP (and worse).

n00b1n8R
January 24th, 2009, 02:49 AM
I went to buy some shirts today, but all the different shirt left me with no choice but to boycott the store for being pro-abortion.

Fucking liberal shops.

SnaFuBAR
January 24th, 2009, 02:53 AM
I went to buy some shirts today, but all the different shirt left me with no choice but to boycott the store for being pro-abortion.

Fucking liberal shops.
:lmao:

Needles
January 24th, 2009, 12:14 PM
How do people get so retarded? It doesn't make sense, it's not humanly POSSIBLE to be that fucking stupid is it?

Jean-Luc
January 24th, 2009, 12:18 PM
How do people get so retarded? It doesn't make sense, it's not humanly POSSIBLE to be that fucking stupid is it?
Talk to a religious, political, or really any kind of extremist. You'll realize just how bad it can be.

Donut
January 24th, 2009, 12:23 PM
see, im not sure if this makes me smart or an idiot, but i cannot even wrap my mind around this concept. im not even sure whats going on here.
let me try to get this right: a donut shop is doing a promotional thing where they give away a "free donut of choice", and pro-life people swarm the shop with picket signs? because you have a choice of free donut?
....but abortion isnt a free procedure :gonk:
/me boycotts self

Jean-Luc
January 24th, 2009, 12:39 PM
You got it. :D

Pooky
January 24th, 2009, 02:23 PM
If I were Krispy Kreme, I would just roll with it and start calling them anti-stupidity donuts.

Mr Buckshot
January 24th, 2009, 08:16 PM
see, im not sure if this makes me smart or an idiot, but i cannot even wrap my mind around this concept. im not even sure whats going on here.
let me try to get this right: a donut shop is doing a promotional thing where they give away a "free donut of choice", and pro-life people swarm the shop with picket signs? because you have a choice of free donut?
....but abortion isnt a free procedure :gonk:
/me boycotts self

Initially, I didn't understand the situation at all, but ExAm explained it: Obama used the words "freedom of choice" when he talked about abortion. Krispy Kremes is using the free donut thing to celebrate Obama's inauguration, and in its slogan it also used the words "freedom of choice." Most sane American people wouldn't make the connection, but stupid people like these so-called activists will think of it, and use it as a means of getting media attention.

TeeKup
January 24th, 2009, 08:19 PM
If I were Krispy Kreme, I would just roll with it and start calling them anti-stupidity donuts.

I'm sorry but I just lol'd. Hard.

Donut
January 24th, 2009, 08:54 PM
Initially, I didn't understand the situation at all, but ExAm explained it: Obama used the words "freedom of choice" when he talked about abortion. Krispy Kremes is using the free donut thing to celebrate Obama's inauguration, and in its slogan it also used the words "freedom of choice." Most sane American people wouldn't make the connection, but stupid people like these so-called activists will think of it, and use it as a means of getting media attention.
so obama indirectly mentioned abortion, krispy kreme quoted him and applied the quote to their free donut day, and the pro life guys attacked the donut shack?
whaaaaaaaat theeeeeeee fuuuuuuck