PDA

View Full Version : So I hear I'm screwed...

Rob Oplawar
January 26th, 2009, 08:57 PM
I'm $8000 in debt, am going to need 20 grand for tuition and living expenses next year, and I was laid off my primary project, so I still have an hourly job but no hours to work.

Admittedly I could be doing much worse, but I'm expected to start making payments on another loan next fall in addition to the numerous loans I'm gonna have to get to cover the $20,000, and I have no idea how I'm gonna do it.

My parents can't really help me- my dad lost 70% of his retirement fund in the recession and they're both in debt up to their eyeballs already.

hn5EP9StlVA

[unnaturally cheery]Somebody help me. :)[/unnaturally cheery]

KiDD
January 26th, 2009, 09:04 PM
Tell me about it, today I forgot money for lunch. Sucked.

Con
January 26th, 2009, 09:10 PM
resort to a life of crime, as long as you don't tell the cops it was my idea

Masterz1337
January 26th, 2009, 09:13 PM
Told ya to stop wasting your money.

Huero
January 26th, 2009, 09:18 PM
You should have bought a rocio romero box house.

thehoodedsmack
January 26th, 2009, 09:20 PM
resort to a life of crime, as long as you don't tell the cops it was my idea

I'll bet that if a bunch of us collaborated, we could run a pretty slick syndicate.

Rentafence
January 26th, 2009, 09:21 PM
Start paying off your debt with credit cards, the pay those off with credit cards and see how long you last

Heathen
January 26th, 2009, 09:27 PM
At least its not your organs or the repoman would come.

Srsly tho, sucks.

blind
January 26th, 2009, 10:27 PM
Tell me about it, today I forgot money for lunch. Sucked.
this is the greatest post ever.

Boba
January 26th, 2009, 10:37 PM
sacrifice your cat to the devil

armoman92
January 26th, 2009, 10:37 PM
prostitution is always an option. PM if you are interested.

jk, but really...

Sel
January 26th, 2009, 10:40 PM
Go into your email inbox and find one of the emails about your long lost cousin in Africa who just died and was royalty and has lots of money.

Give them your personal information and get your inheritance!

n00b1n8R
January 26th, 2009, 11:28 PM
I'll bet that if a bunch of us collaborated, we could run a pretty slick syndicate.
No way I'm working with a bunch of armatures like you lot. :cool:

Heathen
January 26th, 2009, 11:37 PM
At first I was thinking this thread was Llama Juice telling us he was terminal.

Llama Juice
January 26th, 2009, 11:52 PM
No, just itchy.

Best of luck though brother.

ultama121
January 27th, 2009, 12:39 AM
Sorry about that dude. Hope it all resolves soon enough.

legionaire45
January 27th, 2009, 01:17 AM
Don't drop out of school because of debt. Shit will get better and by the time that you have your degree you'll probably be making a cubic shit ton of money, depending. In time you can repay your debts. I imagine you're going for Comp Sci, Comp Prog or something along those lines; they make a pretty damn good amount of money.

In the short term, assuming you can cope with the extra work, you could get yourself another part time job and work to pay off your $8000 debt before it gets worse.

I kind of like the prostitution idea though.

nooBBooze
January 27th, 2009, 06:26 AM
Borrow even more money, read up on how to succsesfully evade the authorities and emigrate to venezuela or brasil.

Apoc4lypse
January 27th, 2009, 10:43 AM

Agreed...

I smell :conspiracy: :eek:

yea idk what to tell you, but I don't think paying it off with credit cards and paying those off with credit cards would work out too well in the end xD I agree with legion tho stay in school and eventually it will pay off.

Timo
January 27th, 2009, 12:56 PM
Move to New Zealand, the government gives out interest free student loans for tuition fees and accomodation. Then, you can pay it off at around $20/week for the rest of your life :-))

e: And if your parents earn nothing, you can get $160/week for free :=D

=sw=warlord
January 27th, 2009, 01:00 PM
or move to the UK and get the government to write 75% of what you cant pay back straight off the bat.
if anyone here is from the uk they've probably seen all those adverts for it.

DarkHalo003
January 27th, 2009, 04:06 PM
Ask Obama for money. :awesome:

Mr Buckshot
January 28th, 2009, 12:10 AM
Move to my city, there are two kinds of jobs that are uber important but not enough people try for them: Teaching and being a cop. Hence, even shitty teachers and shitty cops (http://www.cbc.ca/canada/british-columbia/story/2009/01/22/bc-three-police-officers-suspension.html) are very well protected by the government.

Plus BC has a lot of jobs in the service industry, many indispensable even in an economic recession (i.e. road maintenance guys, garbage men, plumbers), and there are still open spaces.

And if you tell the government you're poor, you can keep getting a small amount of money from them until you can get a job. The poverty rate in Vancouver is very low as you can guess.

watch Rain Man and do what Raymond did in vegas...jk you'd probably get into deep shit

Bodzilla
January 28th, 2009, 12:13 AM
they're trying to implement a new thing in australia for uni students and they're fees.

basically if you do voluntary community service they wipe out chunks of your study fees, seems like a win win situation to me.
dont know if the government wants to foot the bill though.

thehoodedsmack
January 28th, 2009, 06:26 AM
The poverty rate in Vancouver is very low as you can guess.

Lol. Completely off-topic here, but that just reminded me of my city, and our 0% homelessness. We literally have a police enforced policy of driving homeless people into the next town... X3

Dwood
January 28th, 2009, 09:31 AM
Get more sleep.

Kornman00
January 28th, 2009, 10:17 AM
Join the Army before they start asking for people to gtfo again

Like, no shit, you can easily bank money when overseas (either deployed or just stationed in germany\italy\korea\etc). Just don't fucking blow your paycheck every month like 80% of the army's population. If you can find an MOS you enjoy, get a 3 to 4 year enlistment, you'll be set. Will also help in the school area with the GI bill 8)

What was your faza using for his retirement fund anyway, if I may ask?

Rob Oplawar
January 28th, 2009, 02:20 PM
Uhm, he was using it to retire?
His retirement fund was mostly held in investments (I mean that's, like, how these things work), and the investments are now worth 30% of what they were worth in 2007.

The really ironic thing is that in late 2007/early 2008, he wanted to pull most of his retirement money out (and pay a bunch of heavy fees for doing so) and spend it on a half million dollar piece of land on which he wanted to build a house. Everybody told him that it was a stupid idea because it would totally fuck over his savings, but it turns out that if he had done it he would be far better of.
20/20 hindsight, eh?

Corndogman
January 28th, 2009, 02:28 PM
Join the Army before they start asking for people to gtfo again

Like, no shit, you can easily bank money when overseas (either deployed or just stationed in germany\italy\korea\etc). Just don't fucking blow your paycheck every month like 80% of the army's population. If you can find an MOS you enjoy, get a 3 to 4 year enlistment, you'll be set. Will also help in the school area with the GI bill 8)

Even better, join the Army National Guard. You can be a military police officer, stay in your area and get paid. You just have to go to bootcamp once, and go to like a 2-day thing one weekend a month. It's all the benefits of the army, without having to go get killed by terrorists.

Kornman00
January 28th, 2009, 03:33 PM
Even better, join the Army National Guard. You can be a military police officer, stay in your area and get paid. You just have to go to bootcamp once, and go to like a 2-day thing one weekend a month. It's all the benefits of the army, without having to go get killed by terrorists.
Except ANG and AR units get deployed just as much as active members. Also, you don't get the paycheck of an active member, you only get paid for the weekend drill you participate in and the two weeks in the "summer" which you're required to do. Also, you still don't have the same full benefits of an active member.

MetKiller Joe
January 28th, 2009, 03:56 PM
I was in the same kind of dilemna a couple of weeks ago. I was able to get rid of a ton of things I was spending on that were wastfu (i.e.):
-Fastfood
-online subscriptions
-online purchases
-buying stuff when away from home for the convience of it (you need a pen? buy one at CVS, it's only 1.99 [but you have 100 at home])

I dunno. I used excel, made a spreadsheet, made a list of all of the things I was spending on, went through all of my bank statements for the past year, and then got rid of everything that wasn't related to my car (oil, gas, repairs, insurance; because my parents pay for the rest).

If you have the time, get another job, I worked three jobs at one point a couple summer's past (nursing home, private at-nursing-home adult care, HomeGoods Cashier, and Radioshack Sales Associate).

Just trying to give you ideas because it was tough for me to make many of the decisions I needed to make when the financial crunches happened.