PDA

View Full Version : [WIP] Epidemic

Reiper
January 29th, 2009, 05:52 AM
This map is inspired by a city (metropolis kind of capitol city) and its outskirts (think San Andreas creepy rural) affected by a ravenous virus which basically left the city devoid of life within a span of a couple of days. For this reason, the scenery will be populated by cars with doors open, stores still playing music, etc. I welcome any ideas and feedback on ideas that are posted here.

The name of the map is also a WIP and if anyone thinks of a different name that would better fit the Halo universe, I would definitely consider editing it.

There will be a few pieces of scenery that I am either not confident in constructing or unsure of functionality. These are:

Fountains. I imagine they work in a similar manner to waterfalls, but I have not found anything to help me with its construction, and I have only gotten as far as to shape the fountain.

Elevators. I read that elevators do not sync properly online, so I was wondering if I should replace them with either grav lifts (which wouldn't fit the civilian human setting) or simple stairs.

Movable scenery pieces. Meaning that cars, shopping carts, and other bits of the environment would be destructable and movable. Is it possible to make these kinds of pieces spawn in random locations, or is this too much to ask :D My idea is to create an element of random gameplay, as each time the map is reset, the places where cover is possible changes.

I was also curious to know what kind of 3ds units i should use for the entire map. As I understand it, a Blood Gulch size map is around 60000 - 80000 units long, but when i tried to create a box at 100000 units, the MC model seemed very tiny... Suggestions welcome here especially.

I will be posting some hand drawn pictures in the near future to give everyone some idea of the map, especially the city portion as I was awed and inspired by the design of New Mombasa and Chronopolis.