PDA

View Full Version : Update on External HDD

BobtheGreatII
February 8th, 2009, 09:59 PM
Seriously what the hell. I can't install the 1.08 update because it thinks that I don't have the game installed. While it's clearly on my external hard drive. Dragging the exe in to the drive doesn't work. And when I try to update from the game, it says I don't have admin rights.

Help <:mad:>

Limited
February 8th, 2009, 10:11 PM
Did you try to manually update and copy it over? Try it via cmd.

Reiper
February 9th, 2009, 04:23 AM
I'm pretty sure it thinks its not installed because the halo setup alters the registry on your os. So if you installed from a different computer, uninstalled but copied the files, or something to that extent, where the registry still believes its installed, but you have the files on hand, you won't be able to patch. My fix is reinstall the game to wherever, then patch, then copy over to your HDD. Alternatively, you could reinstall the game to wherever, then copy your data, tags, etc folders over and replace. Just be REALLY careful that you don't delete your work :gonk: I did that a couple of times. Good luck.

Edit: To get around the admin rights problem, try running as administrator if you haven't already. Past that, I can't help you there.

BobtheGreatII
February 9th, 2009, 01:39 PM
Edit: To get around the admin rights problem, try running as administrator if you haven't already. Past that, I can't help you there.

Already have done so, still gives me the error, just accidently deleted the update file. *facepalm* so I may just wind up reinstalling it.

Reiper
February 10th, 2009, 01:53 AM
Yeah. That seems like your best bet. Have fun :(