PDA

View Full Version : Is Grifball possible for CE?

MissingSpartan7
February 24th, 2009, 02:07 AM
i've been thinking,
1-is is possible to add th3 h3 assualt gametype?
2-is it possible to change armour colour in any way?
3-is it possible to change speed/gravity setting?

any thoughts/ideas appreciated.

bobbysoon
February 24th, 2009, 02:39 AM
1: Open Sauce
2: A permutation with an orange cyborg shader that doesn't have or use the colorchange channel of the multipurpose, set and reset with a script that looks for the weapon (ball, mb). But not for fp, unless you get all crazy with a 2 pairs of arms model which switches which pair of arms are in front depending on which weapon is held. We're talkin pretty crazy, with the anims, but it could be done
3: There's a serverside speedhack app - it's author may be able and willing to make an app for this

Limited
February 24th, 2009, 04:15 AM
Speed could be done via a dedicated server to stop it being abbused.

I think the biggest part of project would be do change colour of person with the oddball.

n00b1n8R
February 24th, 2009, 05:57 AM
How does griffball work anyway? (never played H3 online woo)

Alwin Roth
February 24th, 2009, 06:37 AM
well, the area is shaped like a football field, a simple box, with two ball drops at the end.
the two teams charge to the middle for the ball, whoever picks the ball up turns orange, and speed is brought up, and the defence is lowered, the point is to score on the enemy teams.

ODX
February 24th, 2009, 07:26 AM
Sigma's already done it.

Advancebo
February 24th, 2009, 07:33 AM
Why does someone come out and just say "Someones already done it"?

Its cool if someone actually open sources the method, or tag for the public.

Bad Waffle
February 24th, 2009, 07:57 AM
Couldnt you use oddball, make the ball-holder speed increase (is that in h1?) and then set it up for time in hill, and then make the 'hill's by the sides, and to prevent more than 1 second being added every time somebody steps in there, create a device_machine that activates when something is in there, and the open.effect includes an explosion that kills.

Syuusuke
February 24th, 2009, 03:39 PM
Yes the oddball can increase speed, but the problem is still the team color =/

Advancebo
February 24th, 2009, 04:03 PM
So, its a minor thing, you could setup the gametype to show the player with the ball with a marker over their head.

bobbysoon
February 24th, 2009, 06:19 PM
making the permutating biped wouldn't be very hard, but the fp would be. If thats the thing to do, switch arms per weapon with anim. I'd use the rename tool alot for this one, de-'frame'ing the frames to be hidden(fp-wise), to import anims onto the visable pair. Then there's re-skinning the pairs of arms with a common root. You wouldn't want to link both pairs to a new root, because the anims wouldn't import right (iirc).
I think that means new fp weapon anims too. Similar process, only more complicated with the linking

Alwin Roth
February 24th, 2009, 06:37 PM
So, its a minor thing, you could setup the gametype to show the player with the ball with a marker over their head.

:( it wouldn't be grifball no more, it would be
"dude-with-an-arrow-on-his-headBall"

Con
February 24th, 2009, 06:49 PM
Couldnt you use oddball, make the ball-holder speed increase (is that in h1?) and then set it up for time in hill, and then make the 'hill's by the sides, and to prevent more than 1 second being added every time somebody steps in there, create a device_machine that activates when something is in there, and the open.effect includes an explosion that kills.
is it possible to make the explosion only occur when the ball carrier is in the hill. It'd be kinda silly for any player to walk over there and explode.

RobertGraham
February 24th, 2009, 06:54 PM
How about an Explosion effect, but not a real explosion? Kinda like a "POOF"

bobbysoon
February 24th, 2009, 07:05 PM
the same script that would permutate based on who wielded the bomb would wait for volume test or no longer wielding

or poof and teleporty respawn

ODX
February 24th, 2009, 07:39 PM
Why does someone come out and just say "Someones already done it"?The question was 'Is Grifball possible for CE?' so I replied saying that Sigma has done it, therefore implying it's possible.

MissingSpartan7
February 24th, 2009, 11:52 PM
if sigma has done it, then how has he done it and can we seen proof??

ThePlague
February 25th, 2009, 12:02 AM
if sigma has done it, then how has he done it and can we seen proof??
After a long period of time Arby will make a tutorial on how to make maps for Griff ball, but don't hold your breath.

Heathen
February 25th, 2009, 12:37 AM

Well, the question was if it was possible, not how to do it.

If Sigma has done it then it IS possible.

Bastinka
February 25th, 2009, 12:49 AM
:( it wouldn't be grifball no more, it would be
"dude-with-an-arrow-on-his-headBall"
But what if someone was colorblind?..

:smith:

MissingSpartan7
February 25th, 2009, 01:40 AM
they would still see a difference to the other players colours and be like WTF??

t3h m00kz
February 25th, 2009, 02:11 AM

Sigma is going to open source all of their work IIRC

ICEE
February 25th, 2009, 11:24 AM
Sigma has a working grifball gametype, it just isn't pretty yet. It still uses a lot of placeholders, etc. We will show it when it is closer to being finalized, but it isn't our priority as of now. It may be open sourced, but thats going to be up to arby at this point since 95% of the grifball work has been his, including the idea for it.

_TheArbiter_
February 25th, 2009, 12:29 PM
The main scoring system, color change, etc work perfectly and sync , i still need to test some other things, and like IC said, its still not pretty at all.

Donut
February 25th, 2009, 09:25 PM
is it possible to make the explosion only occur when the ball carrier is in the hill. It'd be kinda silly for any player to walk over there and explode.
yeah, in the same statement in the script that checks to see if a person is in the trigger volume, you also check to see if they have ball.weapon

DEElekgolo
February 25th, 2009, 11:22 PM
But how would you get that to interact with a gametype?

MissingSpartan7
February 26th, 2009, 04:46 AM
But how would you get that to interact with a gametype?

a script like this could work...
(script continous boom
(if (and (volume_test_object place1 (players))true)(player_has_weapon ball (players))
(object_create_anew splode_effect1)
)

splode_effect1 being invisible scenery with effect attatched....

DEElekgolo
February 26th, 2009, 08:41 AM
Yes I know it will kill the player but how will it effect the gametype. If that is all it will be using then all your doing is making explosions. How will the gametype the players play on keep score of this?

bobbysoon
February 26th, 2009, 01:36 PM
scripted telport to flag a, then flag b, or vice versa depending on ... which team the ai attached to the player when player spawned is on :p Just a little idea i was messing with a while back, idk if the whole attach thing would work out, but it'd be server-side only. I recall not being able to get flood infections to stay attached unless attach was scripted. Player spawns in an isolated locale, gets it's team "marker", and is teleported into game
but then there goes the oddball usage. The bomb weapon would then need to be handled by the script somehow..

DarkHalo003
February 28th, 2009, 04:57 PM
But what if someone was colorblind?..

:smith:
What if it lags and the color turns to your team color....or the grif turns into a pterodactyl?!!! :gonk:

bobbysoon
February 28th, 2009, 09:36 PM
the permutation script would be client side, so it'd permutate pretty much as soon as the client game instance registers that that player is equipping or has equipped the bomb.

_TheArbiter_
February 28th, 2009, 10:25 PM
Its just like the backpack weapon script. It syncs.

Advancebo
March 1st, 2009, 01:18 AM
But the weapon on the back of the backpack system stayed on your back. Does that mean something? I am pretty sure that means you die being yellow.

_TheArbiter_
March 1st, 2009, 11:13 AM
In Halo 3 you die being yellow actually...

About the backpack staying there and making a replica weapon, i think it can be fixed very easily. Something like "if player has 0 of health, then set x Permuation".

Inferno
March 1st, 2009, 11:16 AM
But the weapon on the back of the backpack system stayed on your back. Does that mean something? I am pretty sure that means you die being yellow.

In Halo 3 you die being yellow actually...

About the backpack staying there and making a replica weapon, i think it can be fixed very easily. Something like "if player has 0 of health, then set x Permuation".

Since when is the color orange = yellow?

bobbysoon
March 1st, 2009, 11:27 AM
as long as the player dies unarmed, it's all good

Advancebo
March 1st, 2009, 12:04 PM

Orange yelllow same thing :V

_TheArbiter_
March 1st, 2009, 12:12 PM

yellow...orange....whatever, you get what i mean.

In Halo 3 you die being orange actually...

:)

Ralex123
March 3rd, 2009, 06:49 PM
This probably isn't possible. The engine of this game is WAY too old for this type of thing, plus you have to consider the game of Grifball and how it works in Halo 3.
1. A person picks up a bomb, this can be done easily. All you need to do is reskin an Oddball, and set it on the map.
2. Scoring and the bomb. The bomb itself would not be hard to recreate, but the explosion resulting from the area where you drop it off might be hard to recreate. Scoring is also a slight consideration. It probably is possible, just like a CTF game, to remake this part.
3. The Players. The players is probably the hardest thing to do, mainly because of the color of the person holding the Grifball. Considering Halo's OLD engine, it is probably not possible to change the color of a person.

All in all, Grifball can be recreated in a slightly different way, but it will never be as fun as the real game on Halo 3.

SMASH
March 3rd, 2009, 07:10 PM
This probably isn't possible. The engine of this game is WAY too old for this type of thing, plus you have to consider the game of Grifball and how it works in Halo 3.
1. A person picks up a bomb, this can be done easily. All you need to do is reskin an Oddball, and set it on the map.
2. Scoring and the bomb. The bomb itself would not be hard to recreate, but the explosion resulting from the area where you drop it off might be hard to recreate. Scoring is also a slight consideration. It probably is possible, just like a CTF game, to remake this part.
3. The Players. The players is probably the hardest thing to do, mainly because of the color of the person holding the Grifball. Considering Halo's OLD engine, it is probably not possible to change the color of a person.

All in all, Grifball can be recreated in a slightly different way, but it will never be as fun as the real game on Halo 3.

Nice use of logos but I'm sure people's pathos will still push them to work on it despite what you say ;).

And this is just a friendly observation but what is up with the 8th grade essay conclusion? All in all? Ya don't need to be so organized to present a point but I do like you better than the omgz!!!11!!!!111!!!! kids.

Inferno
March 3rd, 2009, 07:10 PM
We've already established that its possible to do in halo. Scripting makes just about anything possible. Also the explosion would be easy.

(if (volume_test_objects)
(effect_new)
)

And we just discussed how to do color with perms.
L2Read

Donut
March 3rd, 2009, 08:15 PM
um...

This probably isn't possible. The engine of this game is WAY too old for this type of thing
there are plenty of viable workarounds.

we actually have a custom model and skin

arby has it working

global playernum
global dude
(script continuous colorchange
(if unit_has_weapon (unit (list_get (players) playernum)) "weapons\bomb\bomb"
(dude = (unit (list_get (players) playernum)))
(unit_set_permutation "orange" dude)
)
)
(script continuous playerinc
(if playernum < 15
(playernum += 1)
)
else
(
playernum = 0
)
)
yeah i know, i didnt name the functions correctly and my syntax is probably fucked too. i havent scripted for halo in like... a year. bite me.

you may be right, but who said we are trying to 1up halo 3? we are improvising on an 8 year old engine to recreate a popular game. the idea is to give people access to the gametype who dont have halo 3, or just want to play with some friends.
or maybe we just did it to see if it was possible. what does it matter? the point is that we DID it and it WORKS.
disclaimer: some functions of Sigma's Grifball may not work 100% correctly. by playing this map, you give up all rights to sue us for any personal injury, mental or physical, that may occur on our grifball court.

MissingSpartan7
March 4th, 2009, 01:38 AM
um...

you may be right, but who said we are trying to 1up halo 3? we are improvising on an 8 year old engine to recreate a popular game. the idea is to give people access to the gametype who dont have halo 3, or just want to play with some friends.
or maybe we just did it to see if it was possible. what does it matter? the point is that we DID it and it WORKS.

that is inspirational
also, how do we make the player with the bomb unable to switch weapons and how do we make it so once you have placed the bomb it auto-drops and then no-one can pick it up again until it explodes and respawns?

MissingSpartan7
March 4th, 2009, 02:05 AM
here's a logo i found for grifball
(i didn't make though)
http://img3.imageshack.us/img3/594/grifball.jpg
(this would be a cool loading screen for the map it is finally released on!!)

SnaFuBAR
March 4th, 2009, 02:26 AM
All kinds of maps could be made for the grifball gametype. If this gametype is a success, it could get me back into mapping.

MissingSpartan7
March 4th, 2009, 02:30 AM
All kinds of maps could be made for the grifball gametype. If this gametype is a success, it could get me back into mapping.

h3mt foundry would be good
(but is not released yet :()

n00b1n8R
March 4th, 2009, 02:46 AM
Fuck, even I could make a griffball map. :o

SnaFuBAR
March 4th, 2009, 03:33 AM
could you make a good one?:p

MissingSpartan7
March 4th, 2009, 03:59 AM
it depends what kind of map people want, if they want foundry i can try- but don't expect brilliance
(although i do have the tags from h3mt-narrows..)

Heathen
March 4th, 2009, 06:20 AM
LOL, the rebirth of boxmaps in a glorious way.

ODX
March 4th, 2009, 07:17 AM
it depends what kind of map people want, if they want foundry i can try- but don't expect brillianceNo, don't even think about unprotecting H3MT-Foundry when it comes out. If H3MT wants their work to be used for Grifball, they could easily go to Sigma and kindly ask, (but no way in hell would Arby agree to do it haha) or make it themselves. If you weren't thinking of unprotecting the map then, and making your own, good. I'm just assuming that's what you'll do though seeing as your next quote tells of Narrows.

(although i do have the tags from h3mt-narrows..)...don't even go there, most everyone has those tags, and finally most everyone has realized how terrible they are (see MMT-Sandtrap. Search for videos on youtube, then stare at the hate comments.) It would be best to just throw it all away and pretend it never happened, it's too painful an event to think of for H3MT.

_TheArbiter_
March 4th, 2009, 01:25 PM

In that case you can start installing your HEK, since our Grifball is 90% tested and just needs eyecandy (aka we need skinners ASAP)

For more info, check our thread here on modacity:

http://www.modacity.net/forums/showthread.php?t=14268

------------------------------------------

About that logo...hmm I might consider that, but with some additions I will make.

ICEE
March 4th, 2009, 02:46 PM
we need skinners ASAP

we need skinners ASAP

we need skinners ASAP

^^This

Anyone whose interested in being a skinner for sigma (including weapons, bipeds, bsps, etc) let us know. We don't expect perfection, and we need the help.

n00b1n8R
March 4th, 2009, 03:35 PM
Anything special required of the maps, or is it just hill placement?

Donut
March 4th, 2009, 03:46 PM
Anything special required of the maps, or is it just hill placement?
the map geometry itself i dont think is any different than a normal map if that is what you are asking. this does require a script, a customized biped, trigger volumes, and i believe there is a specific scenery or something that arby used to display the scores

Donut
March 4th, 2009, 03:48 PM
that is inspirational
also, how do we make the player with the bomb unable to switch weapons and how do we make it so once you have placed the bomb it auto-drops and then no-one can pick it up again until it explodes and respawns?
look at the flag. it has settings such as "must be readied" in the weapon tag. that particular one makes it so the the weapon must always be readied

Ralex123
March 4th, 2009, 04:16 PM
Wow, I got owned by like 3 people... I don't know that much, I was just assuming XD

ICEE
March 4th, 2009, 04:40 PM
When you assume you make an ass out of u. And then its up to me (or in this case my buddies) to straighten you out.

Ralex123
March 4th, 2009, 04:57 PM
Owned AGAIN! ;(

_TheArbiter_
March 4th, 2009, 05:08 PM
the map geometry itself i dont think is any different than a normal map if that is what you are asking. this does require a script, a customized biped, trigger volumes, and i believe there is a specific scenery or something that arby used to display the scores
You also missed the tons of custom tags that you need, not just on the biped, but the weapons and enviroment.

MissingSpartan7
March 5th, 2009, 01:35 AM
the "crypt" in the new mythic map sandbox could be achievable for CE, and quite quickly!

Advancebo
March 5th, 2009, 06:43 AM
The Crypt looks boring to me.

_TheArbiter_
March 5th, 2009, 12:31 PM
The crypt is just too simple and boring. For CE we have more interesting ideas, wich in this case, the first court will be a forerunner structure on the icey Installation 02.

Advancebo
March 6th, 2009, 05:05 PM
Court on Earth :O?

MissingSpartan7
March 6th, 2009, 06:56 PM
The crypt is just too simple and boring. For CE we have more interesting ideas, wich in this case, the first court will be a forerunner structure on the icey Installation 02.

can we have a comparision to a map we know?

Court on Earth :O?

that's called foundry

_TheArbiter_
March 6th, 2009, 09:02 PM
A comparison? hmm...well its Epitaph-styled...like, really tall cieling and big windows

MissingSpartan7
March 6th, 2009, 10:10 PM
i reckon the answer to this is an app (like IG zombies) where you can change player traits like speed and gravity, time limit, score to win- that kind of stuff

_TheArbiter_
March 6th, 2009, 10:13 PM
No, no external apps. Just some creativity, scripting and raw tag power.

MissingSpartan7
March 6th, 2009, 10:33 PM
i didn't say that was the best answer though..

Advancebo
March 7th, 2009, 07:51 PM
that's called foundry

An outdoor court or one thats not in a warehouse. DURR

MissingSpartan7
March 7th, 2009, 10:56 PM
the centre building of h2 sanctuary with the inner walls removed would be good if it were a bit bigger