PDA

View Full Version : Roborape

Heathen
March 8th, 2009, 03:07 PM
Robot Programmed to Love Goes too Far

March 3rd, 2009 · 13 Comments (http://www.muckflash.com/?p=200#comments)

Kyoto, JP -3 March 2009- Staff. Researchers at Toshiba’s Akimu Robotic Research Institute were thrilled ten months ago when they successfully programmed Kenji, a third generation humanoid robot, to convincingly emulate certain human emotions. At the time, they even claimed that Kenji was capable of the robot equivalent of love. Now, however, they fear that his programming has taken an extreme turn for the worst.
“Initially, we were thrilled to see a bit of our soul come alive in this so called ‘machine,’” said Dr. Akito Takahashi, the principal investigator on the project. “This was really the final step for us in one of the fundamentals of the singularity.”
http://www.muckflash.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/robot-300x267.jpg Kenji was part of an experiment involving several robots loaded with custom software designed to let them react emotionally to external stimuli. After some limited environmental conditioning, Kenji first demonstrated love by bonding with a a stuffed doll in his enclosure, which he would embrace for hours at a time. He would then make simple, but insistent, inquiries about the doll if it were out of sight. Researchers attributed this behavior to his programmed qualities of devotion and empathy and called the experiment a success.
What they didn’t count on were the effects of several months of self-iteration within the complex machine-learning code which gave Kenji his initial tenderness. As of last week, Kenji’s love for the doll, and indeed anybody he sets his ‘eyes’ on, is so intense that Dr. Takahashi and his team now fear to show him to outsiders.
The trouble all started when a young female intern began to spend several hours each day with Kenji, testing his systems and loading new software routines. When it came time to leave one evening, however, Kenji refused to let her out of his lab enclosure and used his bulky mechanical body to block her exit and hug her repeatedly. The intern was only able to escape after she had frantically phoned two senior staff members to come and temporarily de-activate Kenji.
“Despite our initial enthusiasm, it has become clear that Kenji’s impulses and behavior are not entirely rational or genuine,” conceded Dr. Takahashi.
Ever since that incident, each time Kenji is re-activated, he instantaneously bonds with the first technician to meet his gaze and rushes to embrace them with his two 100kg hydraulic arms. It doesn’t help that Kenji uses only pre-recorded dog and cat noises to communicate and is able to vocalize his love through a 20 watt speaker in his chest.
Dr. Takahashi admits that they will more than likely have to decommission Kenji permanently, but he’s optimistic about one day succeeding where Kenji failed.
“This is only a minor setback. I have full faith that we will one day live side by side with, and eventually love and be loved by, robots,” he said.

Dayum.

Now we have to fear rape by our toasters too.

RobertGraham
March 8th, 2009, 03:09 PM
So they programmed it to hump people? awesome

TVTyrant
March 8th, 2009, 03:13 PM
Best. Robot. Ever.
Imagine what would happen to burglars. As soon as they bust in, they get embraced by the hug of a 200 kg robot. So damn awesome.

Joshflighter
March 8th, 2009, 03:17 PM
So they programmed it to hump people? awesome

LOL is all I have to say. :XD:

:rolleyes:

Advancebo
March 8th, 2009, 03:19 PM
creepy.

LlamaMaster
March 8th, 2009, 03:34 PM
They were trying to make it act human right? They succeeded.

DEElekgolo
March 8th, 2009, 03:40 PM
You should make two of them and put them in a room. See what happens.

p0lar_bear
March 8th, 2009, 03:48 PM
“This is only a minor setback. I have full faith that we will one day live side by side with, and eventually love and be loved by, robots,” he said.

No, no, no, no, NO, NO, NO, NO!

Argue what you want; bonding with an inanimate object as deep as romance (or further...) just ain't right.

I'm not saying that having an emotional attachment to objects is wrong; people do that every day. But this is just... :gonk:

Hotrod
March 8th, 2009, 03:50 PM
I agree, it wouldn't be right to have relationships with robots, no matter how much they look like humans...

RobertGraham
March 8th, 2009, 03:56 PM
I agree, it wouldn't be right to have relationships with robots, no matter how much they look like humans...
Any no life CS:S Player could have a Girlfriend though...

Xetsuei
March 8th, 2009, 03:56 PM
Only in Japan.

Donut
March 8th, 2009, 04:01 PM
The trouble all started when a young female intern began to spend several hours each day with Kenji, testing his systems and loading new software routines. When it came time to leave one evening, however, Kenji refused to let her out of his lab enclosure and used his bulky mechanical body to block her exit and hug her repeatedly.
holy shit its like those old horror movies. by day everything is fine, but when the young female intern is about to leave at night, the ROBORAPE COMMENCES
scary shit man.

Hotrod
March 8th, 2009, 04:17 PM
Any no life CS:S Player could have a Girlfriend though...
Not really, they could have a robotfriend though...

Phopojijo
March 8th, 2009, 04:24 PM
The Robot didn't hump her... he just prevented her from leaving and tried to hug her repetitively.

Sounds like I,Robot in the making : D

Mr Buckshot
March 8th, 2009, 04:29 PM
The Robot didn't hump her... he just prevented her from leaving and tried to hug her repetitively.

Sounds like I,Robot in the making : D

just what I was thinking :O

actually, I would have to agree with xet, only in japan. This invention shows that yes, the inventors know their stuff well, but it's still a dumb invention. Much like that Sony Rolly dancing music player.

ultama121
March 8th, 2009, 04:50 PM
Jesus this is creepy, whatever happened to not making potentially creepy stuff? ...CAN ONE LOVE A MONSTER ROBOT?

*cough* (http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/manga.php?id=1553)

TeeKup
March 8th, 2009, 05:58 PM
Funny anime is funny.

Advancebo
March 8th, 2009, 07:11 PM
Vote No to Interracial Sex Robots.

RobertGraham
March 8th, 2009, 08:19 PM
If it keeps burglars out of my house, then I vote yes, I will just lock it in my closet or something so it doesn't rape me in my sleep.

Heathen
March 8th, 2009, 08:48 PM
I didn't know robot was a race....

Mr Buckshot
March 8th, 2009, 08:51 PM
Anyone seen the animated short "Second Renaissance," also part of the Animatrix dvd? Part 1 here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a1jD_SbqNgo) and part 2 here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20T3vNO0HTM&feature=related).

The scenarios in there seem a little bit more realistic now.

Phopojijo
March 9th, 2009, 03:56 PM
I didn't know robot was a race....It is in many videogames.

Hotrod
March 9th, 2009, 04:24 PM
It is in many videogames.
But life isn't a video game, now is it?

Lateksi
March 9th, 2009, 05:08 PM
They will hunt us down n raep the whole world.
http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/ll103/Lat3ksi_stuff/robobear.jpg

Heathen
March 9th, 2009, 06:21 PM
But life isn't a video game, now is it?
BLABLABLA I CANT HEAR YOU BLABLABLA

cheezdue
March 9th, 2009, 07:25 PM

The slogan should be "VOTE "NO" TO ROBOT PENISES"

Corndogman
March 9th, 2009, 08:28 PM
I didn't know robot was a race....

By the looks of it, they're well on their way.

At least it doesnt have a giant blue penis on it....yet.

Con
March 9th, 2009, 09:07 PM
http://www.alwayssleeping.com/images/hugbot.jpg

Warsaw
March 9th, 2009, 10:48 PM
I sense Replicants in our future...we should start forming Blade Runner teams now.

RobertGraham
March 9th, 2009, 10:51 PM
I sense Replicants in our future...we should start forming Blade Runner teams now.
Oh shi, here comes the Terminator

Corndogman
March 10th, 2009, 12:45 AM
And Cylons.

And Human Form Replicators.

Hotrod
March 10th, 2009, 06:46 AM
BLABLABLA I CANT HEAR YOU BLABLABLA
YES YOU CAN!!! MUHAHAHA

And we need to start destroying all machinery before the robots learn to turn all of our technology into more robots. And I did not totally steal that from Transformers.

Advancebo
March 10th, 2009, 07:25 AM
YES YOU CAN!!! MUHAHAHA

And we need to start destroying all machinery before the robots learn to turn all of our technology into more robots. And I did not totally steal that from Transformers.

Actually no he cant, all he can do is see what is what is being typed.