PDA

View Full Version : Good morning everyone.

Rob Oplawar
March 9th, 2009, 11:37 PM
I finally got around to trying out the 28 hour day (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/28_hour_day).
They say most people can't do it and that it's less healthy than a normal 24 hour day, but my internet habits really seem to be pushing for a longer day (every night I feel less tired around the same time, and end up staying up later every night) and the next longest day that I can fit into my schedule is 28.

It was a tight squeeze on Mondays and Fridays- I go to bed right after my last class on Monday and wake up just before my first class on Friday, but it works with my schedule.

So, right now it's my first morning on this new schedule, and while I felt surprisingly rested when I woke up at 9:00 pm, I'm starting to feel rather groggy now.

I'll keep you guys posted on how well this works out (or doesn't) for me.

Here is my clock:
http://greeble.net/28hrclock.php
I go to sleep around 0:00 and wake up between 8:00 and 9:00. My offset is +9, which means I go to sleep at 9:00 am MST on Sunday.

itszutak
March 9th, 2009, 11:44 PM
I would go insane trying this. Good luck!

SnaFuBAR
March 9th, 2009, 11:54 PM
i went to sleep at 7am this morning.

ThePlague
March 9th, 2009, 11:59 PM
That's pretty crazy man, good luck with it.

rossmum
March 10th, 2009, 01:18 AM
I was trying that last year, but I'd fall a few hours short or go a few over so that basically I ended up with a cycle... I'd wake up at, say, 9am, go to bed at about 6am, sleep for 7-10 hours... it just kept going like that until it got back to the start point. Wasn't too bad as I seldom had anything to do at 'normal' times, anyway.

n00b1n8R
March 10th, 2009, 02:23 AM
I considered doing this over the summer holidays, but decided I didn't want to fuck anything up for the start of yr 12.
I'll be interested to hear how this goes.

Rob Oplawar
March 10th, 2009, 04:08 AM
Already I've run into something that I didn't expect: I'm finding it really hard to view night as time to do work. I mean, in the past couple of weeks I've worked all the way through the night several times (which is partly why I'm doing this now) but now that I've started out my "day" at night, it feels really wrong. I'm not tired, per se, but it just constantly feels like it's time to go to bed, and I can't seem to convince my mind otherwise so I can get anything done.

I figured the sleep cycle was just connected to how tired I was and that I would sleep when tired and be awake otherwise, but actually it seems this whole "circadian clock" thing isn't so easy to manipulate. It looks like my biggest hurdle is going to be getting my mind to accept night as day because my level of tiredness doesn't seem to affect that.

n00b1n8R
March 10th, 2009, 04:51 AM
Yeah, I found that when I did my first 24 hour awake thing about 2 weeks back.
It was pretty trippy but I went back to my normal sleep patters in a day.

I imagine you'll be out of it for a week or two.

Rob Oplawar
March 10th, 2009, 01:33 PM
My internal clock is going haywire. Up is black, left is white. This isn't as easy as I thought it would be.

RecycleBin
March 10th, 2009, 01:37 PM
How would one go about starting this?

Donut
March 10th, 2009, 03:33 PM
oh shit i would totally do this. if i wasn't still in high school i would already be on this schedule. i can get 4 hours of sleep a night for a whole week then get 2 on sunday night and operate fine on monday.
i was actually considering going to school, getting home, going straight to sleep, then waking up at midnight to do my work and then stay up for school. the only reason i didnt do that is because it would totally mess up my weekends.... even though i dont do anything... im gonna try this lol

Rob Oplawar
March 10th, 2009, 03:49 PM
How would one go about starting this?

My recommendation is to first figure out the schedule that works best for you, keeping in mind you have at most one or two hours of flexibility on when you go to sleep/wake up, and then start it on the day that has you waking up as close to your normal, comfortable time as possible, and then just go ahead and stay up late that night and sleep in the next morning, and let the cycle continue.

But damn, I thought this would be easy, and it really isn't. I'm all fucked up right now. Tomorrow night I'll be going to bed around my normal time, and hopefully after that I can adjust better to this.

SnaFuBAR
March 10th, 2009, 04:06 PM
Don't worry. After a while you'll figure out that time really is relative.

Relative to your interests. You got nothing to do your body will just want to shut down and sleep.

Heathen
March 10th, 2009, 05:41 PM
I finally got around to trying out the 28 hour day (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/28_hour_day).
They say most people can't do it and that it's less healthy than a normal 24 hour day, but my internet habits really seem to be pushing for a longer day (every night I feel less tired around the same time, and end up staying up later every night) and the next longest day that I can fit into my schedule is 28.

It was a tight squeeze on Mondays and Fridays- I go to bed right after my last class on Monday and wake up just before my first class on Friday, but it works with my schedule.

So, right now it's my first morning on this new schedule, and while I felt surprisingly rested when I woke up at 9:00 pm, I'm starting to feel rather groggy now.

I'll keep you guys posted on how well this works out (or doesn't) for me.

Here is my clock:
http://greeble.net/28hrclock.php
I go to sleep around 0:00 and wake up between 8:00 and 9:00. My offset is +9, which means I go to sleep at 9:00 am MST on Sunday.
Pssh, thats easy dude. I go for 30+ days on accident sometimes.

Limited
March 10th, 2009, 06:12 PM
Good luck, try not to kill yourself.

I was up till 4am last night doing work, time flew by. Woke up at 10am and felt like shit. Had to have a nap between 7pm and 10:30pm.

I need my sleep :(

Rob Oplawar
March 10th, 2009, 08:55 PM
Well, if I keep giving in to temptation, this is never gonna work for me. It's "3 am" for me, and I've been diligently sleeping for the past 3 hours, but my buddy just called me and invited me to come with him to the climbing gym and now off I'm going.

This "sleep on a 28 hour cycle" thing has quickly devolved into "sleep in short bursts at all hours of the day at convenience and spend the rest of the time groggy and inefficient."

I'm gonna try to see it through the week, though.

Gamerkd16
March 14th, 2009, 04:22 PM
Pic related?
http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/28_hour_day.png

Heh, ah....xkcd.

Heathen
March 14th, 2009, 04:36 PM
I was up till 3 messing with Mojopac.

Someone should make a thread for me. I have made way too many threads lately or so I feel like it.

Hell, I made Darkside make one for me with that 6th sense one.

Rob Oplawar
March 14th, 2009, 05:41 PM
That strip is actually where I originally got the idea, but it took me a while to get around to trying it.
Also, this sleep cycle is killing me. I'm soooo fucking tired. I'm gonna try and make it through Sunday so I can say I made it a week, but then I'm stopping.

Syuusuke
March 14th, 2009, 06:28 PM
I'm defintely going to try this =)

Rob Oplawar
March 15th, 2009, 01:54 AM
hm, I didn't do a very good job coding my 28 hour clock... It's currently trying (and failing) to display negative times... but I'm using %... I thought mod would guarantee that it would be positive... weird...