PDA

View Full Version : Windows 7

Kalub
March 15th, 2009, 02:43 PM
Does anyone use it daily, and do you notice any problems?

Thanks.

Cojafoji
March 15th, 2009, 02:50 PM
I installed it on my fourth hard drive. It was fine, all of the drivers were pretty much preloaded, so it worked great. It was a little slow on my computer, since it's not as young as it used to be, but I liked it, no major problems etc. When I upgrade I have a good feeling that it'll scream like a bat outta hell.

Sel
March 15th, 2009, 02:50 PM
Been using it on my laptop for a while on my laptop, and just started using it on my desktop.

Overall the framerates in source games have improved for me, Crysis runs about the same in DX9 mode.

The OS itself is really stable, I've had one BSoD so far, no idea what for but other than that no problems at all.

Rook
March 15th, 2009, 02:51 PM
No option for half... Dual booting XP/7 and use them both frequently.

The only problem I ever experienced was in Call of Duty 4 servers punkbuster would kick you in Win7, but that has been fixed.

InnerGoat
March 15th, 2009, 03:25 PM
Dual booting XP 32 / W7 64 and using XP mainly. No real issues with it except for full screen 3D making the monitors spaz out, but that's because of the different video cards in here. It runs great on an AXP 2500+ box, and runs ok on an even older AXP 1600+

W7 / XP dual boot supremacy

Limited
March 15th, 2009, 03:34 PM
Havent tried it, cant handle incompatibility right now.

sdavis117
March 15th, 2009, 03:42 PM
Crap, I meant to choose "Like it, just tried it".

It worked great on my PC other then the fact that my DVD drive didn't work with it. I'm assuming that it was because my DVD drive is old though. Other then that, it worked quite well on my PC. I might dig around for a different DVD drive and try it again.

FluffyDuckyâ„¢
March 15th, 2009, 03:46 PM
No problems for me. :)

RobertGraham
March 15th, 2009, 03:49 PM
There is nothing wrong with Windows 7 as far as I can see. Its kind of like XP and Vista put together without all the RAM consuming features. Even with 1GB RAM, it runs blazing fast.

The only thing that threw me off a bit was everything in Windows 7 is just, clear. But I guess that's why its awesome I suppose

Syuusuke
March 15th, 2009, 03:49 PM
I haven't used it often, but it runs nicely...not very compatible with most of the things I have so I'm sticking to Vista until the real deal rips through Microsoft's vagina or anus.

TPE
March 15th, 2009, 04:14 PM
I put slight issues because it uses more ram than vista for me. Even with NOTHING open besides windows I get up to 99% ram usage in wow when in XP with xfire, steam, msn, and fraps open I don't even hit 60% with 2 gb. Any steam game has issues where it will cause the display driver to crash and tf2 crashes all the time.

Probably an issue with WoW/steam but it stops me from using windows 7.

Timo
March 15th, 2009, 04:19 PM
Been using 32 bit since it came out, just put 64 bit on the other day. Driver problems initially but i'm probably to blame D:

MetKiller Joe
March 15th, 2009, 04:35 PM
To quote from my blog:

And OK, to those that want to tell me that I "need" to try out Windows 7 because it is what Yahtzee on Zero-Punctuation would call a "Diamond-farting wonder", I say this: if in college the following conditions are met I will not only try but buy Windows 7:
1) Everybody I consider a friend at my college and neighboring ones (for example, if I know somebody at WPI or Northeastern University) saying Windows 7 is more stable than XP and faster (considering that in order to be faster and more stable than XP you'd have to go into linux territory; so I'm a bit skeptical about this one since I'm not sure how many of my rabid linux buddies would be willing to give out that particular blue-ribbon to something made by evil Microsoft).

2) I get a girlfriend (oh noes!) and she tells me that she has tried Windows 7 and loves it. Then bugs me about trying it.

3) Corporations start installing it.

(Please don't take it too seriously. I'm not switching because I've finally tamed XP).

Cojafoji
March 15th, 2009, 04:54 PM
To quote from my blog:

(Please don't take it too seriously. I'm not switching because I've finally tamed XP).
I lol'd pretty hard at the fact that you've only just tamed XP.

Kalub
March 15th, 2009, 06:45 PM
Well, I'm thinking about installing it, which do you think runs better... 32bit or 64? I've never tried a 64bit OS

sdavis117
March 15th, 2009, 06:49 PM
64bit.

Just make sure that your drivers and software supports 64bit, and get new drivers/software if they don't.

Corndogman
March 15th, 2009, 09:26 PM
Can anyone post a link to where I can download the beta, if I still can? I looked back a few pages for the original thread, but couldn't find it. I just got a new secondary hard drive I want to install it on.

MetKiller Joe
March 15th, 2009, 09:54 PM
I lol'd pretty hard at the fact that you've only just tamed XP.

By "taming" I mean I haven't had to reinstall it for 6+ months.

Timo
March 15th, 2009, 10:21 PM
Dual booting XP 32 / W7 64 and using XP mainly. No real issues with it except for full screen 3D making the monitors spaz out, but that's because of the different video cards in here. It runs great on an AXP 2500+ box, and runs ok on an even older AXP 1600+

W7 / XP dual boot supremacy

High five superior dual boot buddy _0/\o_

Cortexian
March 15th, 2009, 10:56 PM
The only problem I ever experienced was in Call of Duty 4 servers punkbuster would kick you in Win7, but that has been fixed.
No it hasn't... I can't stay in any Call of Duty 4 server for more than a minute without getting kicked by PB.

Other than that and Xfire refusing to work with Halo CE (Which is odd, because it worked before I reinstalled Windows 7) I have no issues.

Daishi
March 15th, 2009, 11:04 PM
I've been using it since the beta started, and I like it. Code is a lot slimmer than vista's, and few incompatibilities. Unfortunately, those few incompatibilities are kinda bothersome. One being the lack of ability to play any of the battlefield games is annoying. Plus punkbuster doesn't like it for some reason, something about unknown API functions. Halo works fine on it though.

Rook
March 16th, 2009, 12:18 AM
No it hasn't... I can't stay in any Call of Duty 4 server for more than a minute without getting kicked by PB.

It works fine for me now. v:nsmug:v

Kalub
March 17th, 2009, 01:34 AM
Anyone wanna help me find drivers for my network interface cards?

asrock 775Dual-vsta

My mobo, I tried the Xp 32bit drivers, notta. Thanks again. Lovin' this, its quick.

Kalub
March 17th, 2009, 04:04 AM
nvm fixed

Corndogman
March 17th, 2009, 08:09 PM
Well I just got it. Only been using it for a few hours, buts its pretty good so far. Only problem is it wont recognize my audio output device (someone wanna help me out with this?)

I have a problem though, someone help me out please. I installed it on my secondary hard drive so I could keep XP installed, but because I did this, none of my programs show up in start menu, etc. Is there anyway I can quickly import my start menu items to the new drive, as well as my bookmarks for firefox?

Kalub
March 18th, 2009, 01:51 AM
I bet there is a way, but I'm not aware of it.

Anyone having a problem with their desktop icons and two monitors? For some reason I can only put mine on the secondary screen unless I disable and do a ghetto swap,

Warsaw
March 18th, 2009, 02:08 AM
Well I just got it. Only been using it for a few hours, buts its pretty good so far. Only problem is it wont recognize my audio output device (someone wanna help me out with this?)

I have a problem though, someone help me out please. I installed it on my secondary hard drive so I could keep XP installed, but because I did this, none of my programs show up in start menu, etc. Is there anyway I can quickly import my start menu items to the new drive, as well as my bookmarks for firefox?

Your programs from XP are not in the Windows 7 start bar because they are not in the Windows 7 registry and because they weren't installed under Windows 7.

To get the bookmarks, load Firefox under XP, then go to:
Bookmarks > Organize Bookmarks > Backup

And save the file wherever. Then load Firefox under Windows 7 go to:
Bookmarks > Organize Bookmarks > Restore
and then find your file and open it. VoilÃ*, tu a fini.

AAA
March 18th, 2009, 02:42 AM
I"m using the 32-bit Build 7000 of Windows 7 and Performance is my #1 with this system. It runs just as well as XP and supports all the latest and greatest. Although, not that it's a big deal, after using it for a solid month the only things I've found out of place was the incompatibility. Even then there are hardly any issues (Especially when it comes with Pre-Released drivers for Graphic cards) but you run into a few from time to time (After the past month, I've run into atleast 10 incompatibility issues when trying to run different software, but that was expected).

Other than that, I give it 2 thumbs up and 5 gold stickers in the shape of a star.

Note: The Release Candidate will be released around early April. That's going to be a LOT more of a reliable build of Windows 7 if you're looking for stability, so keep your eyes open.

Corndogman
March 18th, 2009, 12:46 PM
Your programs from XP are not in the Windows 7 start bar because they are not in the Windows 7 registry and because they weren't installed under Windows 7.

blah blah firefox.

Thanks Warsaw, but I actually just figured that out for myself a minute ago. I appreciate the help though.

I also found my start menu folder where all the .ink's are stored from XP, I just need to figure out where to put this in W7, anyone have any Ideas?

Dr Nick
March 18th, 2009, 02:28 PM
Been using it alone for over a week now. I don't even want to go back to XP now :O

Also,

C:\Users\<NAMEGOESHERE>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu

StankBacon
March 18th, 2009, 02:34 PM
that wont work... your xp programs are not installed in w7.

if you want your programs to work, you will need to reinstall them on your w7 drive.

InnerGoat
March 18th, 2009, 02:43 PM
Some will still work, like your chat apps and web browsers

Rook
March 18th, 2009, 02:44 PM
I think World of Warcraft still worked? I accidentally clicked the launcher one time but never went past that point.

Corndogman
March 18th, 2009, 08:12 PM
Been using it alone for over a week now. I don't even want to go back to XP now :O

Also,

C:\Users\<NAMEGOESHERE>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu

Yeah, except that filepath doesn't exist, even though it insists that it does when I try to create a new folder with the same name.

E: How do I show hidden folders?

AAA
March 18th, 2009, 09:28 PM
E: How do I show hidden folders?

Click on My Computer and right below the back button there will be a button called "Organize" open it and there will be an option that's called "Folder and Search Options". When that's open click the "View" tab.

Read down and it'll be there.

Cortexian
March 18th, 2009, 11:46 PM
It works fine for me now. v:nsmug:v
Oh, let me guess, 32-bit?

Kalub
March 18th, 2009, 11:56 PM
I noticed it didn't like me putting my computer to switch users mode, or standby. It always kagged it's wireless drivers when it did that.

Cortexian
March 19th, 2009, 04:02 AM
I noticed it didn't like me putting my computer to switch users mode, or standby. It always kagged it's wireless drivers when it did that.

It always kagged it's wireless drivers when it did that.

It always kagged it's wireless drivers

wireless drivers

drivers
RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGE!

Honestly though, that's just down to the same old "It's a beta operating system and the product drivers aren't up to spec yet" issue. All you have to do for that is wait until the company that supports said adapter releases Windows 7 drivers.

Timo
March 19th, 2009, 04:33 AM
Note that ATi ver recently has released official Windows 7 drivers - get them :-D

Corndogman
March 19th, 2009, 06:50 PM
I just installed the vista Drivers for my sound card and it works fine, whereas the XP drivers didn't.

And thanks AAA, even though the start menu still doesn't want to show my start menu items even though I copied the files.

Warsaw
March 19th, 2009, 06:57 PM
Some will still work, like your chat apps and web browsers

Things that generally don't require a registry entry will work, e.g. Steam (and ALL your games under it), Unreal Tournament (all of them), older games circa 2000 and earlier, DOOM 3, etc.

343guiltymc
March 19th, 2009, 07:07 PM
I use Vista right now, do I get some kind of discount from upgrading to windows 7?

Warsaw
March 19th, 2009, 07:15 PM
No. If you buy a computer with Vista after July 19th (or was it the 9th?), you do get a free upgrade to the corresponding version of Windows 7.

Cortexian
March 19th, 2009, 08:11 PM
So can anyone play Call of Duty 4 on Windows 7 64-bit without getting kicked? I found a bunch of fixes online but they only work for 32-bit, and that doesn't help me out AT ALL.

Kalub
March 19th, 2009, 09:24 PM
RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGE!

Honestly though, that's just down to the same old "It's a beta operating system and the product drivers aren't up to spec yet" issue. All you have to do for that is wait until the company that supports said adapter releases Windows 7 drivers.

What are you raaaaaaging for, I was just letting you guys know. I fully understand it's still a beta.

Cortexian
March 19th, 2009, 09:27 PM
What are you raaaaaaging for,
Because it brought back memories of the Windows Vista beta.

:saddowns:

Limited
March 22nd, 2009, 08:09 PM
So can people still download the beta? I signed up for a key but dont have the actual iso file.

StankBacon
March 22nd, 2009, 08:19 PM
So can people still download the beta? I signed up for a key but dont have the actual iso file.

check your pm :)

ThePlague
March 22nd, 2009, 11:26 PM
I liked it, used it daily, and also got a shit ton of problems with it. So I uninstalled...

Limited
March 23rd, 2009, 12:43 PM
I'm hoping to install it as a Virtual PC :D Cheers bacon.

Kalub
March 23rd, 2009, 01:10 PM
I use it on my laptop, it works perfect. :)

I might actually upgrade from Xp for this.

Corndogman
March 24th, 2009, 09:11 PM
I use it pretty much all the time for just regular browsing and IMing. But i switch back to XP to use any of my other applications.

I have it installed on my secondary HDD, and on a partition of a laptop i fixed that im selling to a friend

Heathen
March 24th, 2009, 09:23 PM
I liked it, used it daily, and also got a shit ton of problems with it. So I uninstalled...
Same, minus the shit ton part.

And furthermore, I didn't even know that was an increment.