PDA

View Full Version : FileFront Shutting Down

NuggetWarmer
March 25th, 2009, 06:36 PM
Welp, I guess all good things come to an end.

Due to economic issues, FileFront and all sub-domains owned by FileFront are shutting down permanently.

http://farewell.filefront.com/

Post good links here, because we only have five days left. D:

rossmum
March 25th, 2009, 06:37 PM
Wow, didn't see this one coming.

Joshflighter
March 25th, 2009, 06:39 PM
It was a great site. :(

EDIT: Hope this ain't a April fools thing. :|

Ifafudafi
March 25th, 2009, 06:41 PM
Likewise. I host all my shit on Filefront, too, so now I have to hunt for a free fileserver that doesn't suck ass.

rossmum
March 25th, 2009, 06:44 PM
That'll be fun.

Filefront was one of the few I know of that doesn't pepper your screen with shitty popups whether you have a blocker or not, shame to see it go.

343guiltymc
March 25th, 2009, 06:50 PM
What it shuts down 1 day before April 1st, is this legit?

ThePlague
March 25th, 2009, 06:52 PM
This sucks, Filefront was a great site. All things come to an end I guess.

InnerGoat
March 25th, 2009, 07:19 PM
What it shuts down 1 day before April 1st, is this legit?

Maybe.

Don't really care too much about FileFront though as I don't use it often. :smith:

mech
March 25th, 2009, 07:22 PM
I use this site all the time for school :(

legionaire45
March 25th, 2009, 07:27 PM
Fuck, now I need to find a new place to host my rickroll map D:

Rook
March 25th, 2009, 07:37 PM
Aww sucks, hopefully it is just an April fools thing.

MetKiller Joe
March 25th, 2009, 07:46 PM
I was planning on hosting my files off my computer and just buy a domain/rent anyway, but this sucks. I have 3 years of files I have to download off that server now.

Sel
March 25th, 2009, 08:24 PM
Oh well

polar hook me up with a modacity ftp!

Anton
March 25th, 2009, 08:26 PM
Aww this sucks, but yeah...Polar hook me up with Yuki's Modacity FTP if he gets one.

DrunkenSamus
March 25th, 2009, 08:36 PM
You've got to be shitting me.

jngrow
March 25th, 2009, 08:44 PM
FUCK OBAMA HE STILL HASN:T FIXED THE ECONOMY

But seriously, fuck. Like, no. One of the best no-hassle download sites out there. This sucks.

Sel
March 25th, 2009, 09:00 PM
Oh well

polar hook me up with a modacity ftp!

This, in all seriousness this.

TF2 mapping requires a good mirror for quick server downloads to get this shit out there, so yeah, hook me up.

DrunkenSamus
March 25th, 2009, 09:30 PM
Then again, this could very well be an April Fools joke.

ThePlague
March 25th, 2009, 09:34 PM
Then again, this could very well be an April Fools joke.
Doubtful though. They'd get a shit load of people pissed off if it was. I'd be one of them.

343guiltymc
March 25th, 2009, 09:42 PM
Damn, it looks legit now the forums are down. :(

Maniac
March 25th, 2009, 09:46 PM
Ahh crap, this suks alright.

klange
March 25th, 2009, 09:59 PM
I have this strange feeling that keeps telling me this is a good things...

Maybe it's the fact that I always hated FileFront?

TheGhost
March 25th, 2009, 10:01 PM
Wow, this sucks. I have to get my file off it.

Also, there is an anonymous FTP for Modacity, I believe.

ultama121
March 25th, 2009, 10:16 PM
It's a shame because I loved FileFront. :( I always got 400+ kbps.

^Also, Woah woah woah what? Where would I get access to this anonymous FTP?

kenney001
March 25th, 2009, 10:42 PM
Filefront was always the fastest download site for me anywhere period. I usually was between 1.2-2mb/s.

This is like getting a limb cut off...filefront is my first go-to for patches, demos, fixes, etc.

Dr Pepper
March 25th, 2009, 10:45 PM
So does this mean all the game filefront domains (like halo gta and star wars stuff) will also be closed???
This is to bad to be true. (dont flame, obama i blame

ThePlague
March 25th, 2009, 10:47 PM
So does this mean all the game filefront domains (like halo gta and star wars stuff) will also be closed???
This is to bad to be true. (dont flame, obama i blame
Yes, all sub domains will go out too, it says right on the page.

rossmum
March 25th, 2009, 11:17 PM
Damn, it looks legit now the forums are down. :(
at least svc won't have anywhere to post his shitty 'maps' so fanboys can jerk him off

one good thing comes from a terrible thing :smith:

TheGhost
March 25th, 2009, 11:48 PM
^Also, Woah woah woah what? Where would I get access to this anonymous FTP?

ftp://ftp.modacity.net/

For files, read only.

Upload to ftp://ftp.modacity.net/incoming/

If requested, it can be moved to the public directory.

Varmint260
March 25th, 2009, 11:55 PM
Damn... there's a reason why when there are a bunch of mirrors for something, I always go to Filefront. Is there another free file hosting service as good? I have yet to see one.

NuggetWarmer
March 26th, 2009, 01:30 AM
I hope somebody will take the place of Filefront. I'm not paying for shitty FilePlanet.

Pooky
March 26th, 2009, 03:13 AM
Fuck

No seriously,

FUCK.

Where am I going to get all my mods for kotor or battlefront 2 now? D:<

t3h m00kz
March 26th, 2009, 03:53 AM
You can download from FilePlanet with Live accounts I believe, don't quote me on that.

But yeah fuckin FileFront was the shit, this is a damn shame

n00b1n8R
March 26th, 2009, 05:02 AM
Ugh, filefront was actually a site I liked.
inbefore the internet crash of 09. :saddowns:
it's april fools you fags

Jean-Luc
March 26th, 2009, 11:23 AM
Evidently I'm the only one here who actually likes Fileplanet. But then, I do have a free subscription to it so I get the 2.5mbps downloads.

:cool:

That said, I will miss the sub-domains such as Half-Life 2 files, Doom 3 files, etc. Those were great.

Alwin Roth
March 26th, 2009, 11:33 AM
I use this site all the time for school :(

I did too, and it got me banned from the computers for my 8th grade year.
had to type all my essays at home -_-

But yeah, this sucks...
Downloaded some good stuff from this site.

and with sites going down... what about halomaps... ohshi.

ThePlague
March 26th, 2009, 03:07 PM
and with sites going down... what about halomaps... ohshi.
If Halomaps goes down, CE modding is done for.

I'm going to miss Filefront, but i'll start using Modacity's ftp :)

TVTyrant
March 26th, 2009, 05:22 PM
I loved filefront.
Many hours I spent paroozing its data base, searching for random ass mods and textures.
I should write a song about this. :(
At least there's still FPS Banana.
Wait, what about all of those Halo PC mods? There gonna be lost forever >:(

klange
March 26th, 2009, 05:23 PM
I loved filefront.
Many hours I spent paroozing its data base, searching for random ass mods and textures.
Better start downloading them then, 'eh?

DrunkenSamus
March 26th, 2009, 06:47 PM
You can download from FilePlanet with Live accounts I believe, don't quote me on that.

But yeah fuckin FileFront was the shit, this is a damn shame

Downloading from FilePlanet IS free. You just have to become a member which is FREE.

Varmint260
March 26th, 2009, 11:55 PM
Yeah, but having to log in for every single download is annoying, plus the fact that the download speeds are slower than FileFront's... of course, the last time I used FilePlanet, you had to sit in queues for 20 minutes to even start your download. I'm guessing it's much better now.

NuggetWarmer
March 27th, 2009, 01:06 AM
Last time I used it, they made me download some file downloader shit that didn't help the speeds at all.

rossmum
March 27th, 2009, 01:48 AM
I loved filefront.
more like rootkit banana

fukken site

Corndogman
March 28th, 2009, 12:28 AM
Good thing I still have the lifetime Filesavr thing, even though I'm not sure if it was legit or not.

Also, 750 GB on my server, which I honestly have no idea how to use the FTP. Still got the html though.

sevlag
March 28th, 2009, 08:16 AM
I use Zshare..500mb file sizes and shit, i'm nto a memebr there, jsut upload shit and mail the links to myself for safe keeping, pretty sure its free to sign up there and I think memebrs get 1 gig of storage space and paying memebrs get 2 gigs...

Sel
March 31st, 2009, 08:02 AM
It is now the 31st, and filefront isn't down.

rossmum
March 31st, 2009, 08:21 AM
It's April Fool's here.

I guess we'll soon find out, either way - honestly I'll be glad if it was a prank, I like FF a bloody lot more than the alternatives.

Rook
March 31st, 2009, 02:27 PM
Joke's over filefront?

klange
March 31st, 2009, 02:36 PM
I hate these stupid pre-April-1st April Fools Jokes. Not just because they're annoying and give people the excuse to spread blatant lies through official channels, but also because they destroy the whole idea of "April Fools Day".

Sel
March 31st, 2009, 02:56 PM
It is now 3:54 PM, on the 31st of March, 2009. Filefront is still not down, and the farewell is gone.

n00b1n8R
March 31st, 2009, 03:59 PM
I warned you scrubs :snafubar:

343guiltymc
March 31st, 2009, 05:59 PM
The farewell notice is still on......

Sel
March 31st, 2009, 06:28 PM
The farewell notice is still on......

Except it isn't???

Also

We're sorry, but you've experienced a temporary problem on the site. It's likely that this problem has already been fixed. Please refresh the page.

If you've seen this error message more than once during your visit, we already know about it and we're working on it. Please check back soon!

If you need help using the site, please contact FileFront support (http://support.filefront.com/).

lol

ultama121
March 31st, 2009, 06:30 PM
Do not fret young ones!

MESSAGE FROM JEFF "n0e" MILLS
Hey all. I know many of you have eagerly been awaiting any sort of news as to what is going on and what we plan to do for the future.
To those that don't know I, along with a tremendous amount of help from folks like Phenix, and Ronnie are making backups of all of the network sites and we plan on moving to a new network of fan sites that will be open soon. For legal reasons we may not be able to include the items such as reviews, potd's and other various bits of information on the sites. However, with the permission of the modders we will retain all of the files. Those who do not wish to continue having their files hosted on the new network need only contact me after the first of the sites are online. I'll see to it that they are promptly removed per your request. We will not hassle you about it or tell you to '***** off'. Just remember that we're restoring a database so please don't get upset after seeing them initially. We respect your copyrights.
There will be forums up and running sometime hopefully next week. When they are up I will provide a link here so you know where to go from then on. I certainly hope to see many familiar faces and even new ones. There will be a clean slate for those coming back as well. If you were banned for whatever reason, you are allowed to return and given a second chance.
The new network and forums will have one more thing that I'm sure will make everyone happy. There will be NO corporate involvement. Things will be run by people who actually play games for people who play games.
I'll have more news for everyone as it's available. I wish to thank everyone for their continued patience and I'm certainly cannot wait to have the good parts of FileFront return while just trimming out the bad.
Thanks!
Jeff 'n0e' Mills
Welp.

StankBacon
April 3rd, 2009, 01:35 AM
FileFront has been acquired by the original founders of the site and will NOT be suspended as previously announced. This is NOT an April Fool's Joke.

After learning about Ziff Davis Media's plan to suspend FileFront at the end of March, the original founders of FileFront made the decision to buy it back from Ziff Davis Media.

We're happy to announce to the gaming community that as of today, April 1st, 2009, FileFront is a completely independent company again and is no longer part of Ziff Davis Media. All previously suspended services should be active and working again. We thank Ziff Davis Media for their cooperation and willingness to keep the site and community alive.

Due to the very unfortunate timing of this event and related announcements on March 24th and April 1st (April Fool's Day), we'd like to make it perfectly clear that:

1) 1) The March 24th announcement about FileFront suspending its operation was NOT an early April Fool's joke.

2) This announcement about the original founders buying back FileFront from Ziff Davis Media is also NOT an April Fool's joke.

3) We're making this announcement on April 1st because the deal was completed today and we want to bring all services back online immediately.

4) We would NEVER suspend FileFront as an April Fool's joke.

5) We are happy to be back!

FileFront has existed in one form or another (originally as FileLeech and Voodoo Extreme's downloads) since 1997. In the last 12 years, FileFront has become the gaming community's most comprehensive and trafficked library hosting millions of files for thousands of games while requiring no registration and providing uncapped download speeds. We look forward to improving FileFront and serving the gaming community for years to come.

Welcome home. Game On!

Email us, founders@filefront.com

:raise:

http://welcome.filefront.com/

NuggetWarmer
April 3rd, 2009, 02:37 AM
yay