PDA

View Full Version : Can Someone Give Me a Tutorial on Protecting Parts of Maps in HEK+?

DarkHalo003
March 28th, 2009, 09:42 PM
I'm trying to protect some maps, but not the entire tagsets. I want to leave some single tags open, but I'm not sure how. Can anyone help me with this? Am I allowed to unprotect single tags?

p0lar_bear
March 28th, 2009, 10:51 PM
Well, everyone says that the tag protection is really just the deletion of the tag names and paths from the cache file. Try backing up your map, opening it in a hex editor, scroll towards the end, and start deleting the names of the tags you want to protect.

ShadowSpartan
March 28th, 2009, 11:14 PM
I'm trying to protect some maps, but not the entire tagsets. I want to leave some single tags open, but I'm not sure how. Can anyone help me with this? Am I allowed to unprotect single tags?
With HEK+ you have the option to not protect certain tag types, but you can not leave single tags unprotected. You could protect the tags using a hex editor, but it would be more trouble than it is worth. I won't go into any details about how to do so, mainly because I don't want even more people learning how to unprotect maps by figuring out how the HEK+ map protection works.

DarkHalo003
March 29th, 2009, 01:43 PM
With HEK+ you have the option to not protect certain tag types, but you can not leave single tags unprotected. You could protect the tags using a hex editor, but it would be more trouble than it is worth. I won't go into any details about how to do so, mainly because I don't want even more people learning how to unprotect maps by figuring out how the HEK+ map protection works.
So I'd only be able to unprotect types, like it'd leave all weapon tags unprotected if I chose? What is a Tag ID exactly? Class?

Polar, would this be a good HEX Editor?
http://www.chmaas.handshake.de/delphi/freeware/xvi32/xvi32.htm#download

ShadowSpartan
March 29th, 2009, 02:08 PM
So I'd only be able to unprotect types, like it'd leave all weapon tags unprotected if I chose? What is a Tag ID exactly? Class?
A tag class is basically a shortened version of a tag type. For instance a gbxmodel tag has a tag class of "mod2", a sound tag has a tag class of "snd!". As for a Tag ID, each tag has a unique value in the map file, and that is the tag identifier.

I suppose you are asking me about these two because of the "Leave Unprotected" form in the HEK+ Map Protection form. I just noticed that you can infact leave an individual tag unprotected by choosing to leave that tag's ID unprotected. In order to find the ID of a particular tag, find the tag you want to unprotect in the file explorer, and highlight it. On the right, in the tag properties pane, the Tag ID for the selected tag is shown.

DarkHalo003
March 29th, 2009, 09:31 PM
A tag class is basically a shortened version of a tag type. For instance a gbxmodel tag has a tag class of "mod2", a sound tag has a tag class of "snd!". As for a Tag ID, each tag has a unique value in the map file, and that is the tag identifier.

I suppose you are asking me about these two because of the "Leave Unprotected" form in the HEK+ Map Protection form. I just noticed that you can infact leave an individual tag unprotected by choosing to leave that tag's ID unprotected. In order to find the ID of a particular tag, find the tag you want to unprotect in the file explorer, and highlight it. On the right, in the tag properties pane, the Tag ID for the selected tag is shown.
Okay thanks.