PDA

View Full Version : Well, that's good news.

Phopojijo
March 31st, 2009, 06:06 PM
Hey guys,

Looks like I was just accepted to Teacher's College.

Guess highschool_Physics_Teachers++ eh?

itszutak
March 31st, 2009, 06:10 PM
Congrats!

Just letting you know, being a teacher is a very hard thing to do. I know someone in a teaching program, and are at the verge of breaking down over it.

I can really respect someone who can deal with the stresses involved and not quit, and I hope you follow this through. :)

(Then come to California, we need better teachers! D: )

flibitijibibo
March 31st, 2009, 06:11 PM
Grats. I didn't know you were a physics guy.

phriends_In_Physics++; //2, Phopo and my brother. That sounds like a shitty sitcom.

Also, what ^ said. It was with the help of my internship this year that I learned I really shouldn't be a teacher full-time, mostly because of the paperwork and my political incorrectness. Hope you turn out better than I did. XP

EDIT:
Just be warned that kids are assholes, there will be a fuckton of monotonous paperwork, you have to cooperate with other teachers/administrators who more often than not don't know what the hell they're doing, and such.Heh, see?

Ifafudafi
March 31st, 2009, 06:19 PM
FUCK YEAH Welcome to the club, brah. We need all the teachers we can get.

Just be warned that kids are assholes, there will be a fuckton of monotonous paperwork, you have to cooperate with other teachers/administrators who more often than not don't know what the hell they're doing, and such. It's a very stressful job, but worth it if you genuinely enjoy what you do.

Just whatever you do, don't let the kids talk freely unless you specifically tell them to. Once they start, it never ends :gonk:

Phopojijo
March 31st, 2009, 06:23 PM
Yeah... luckily I have quite a few "secret weapons" I learned from the couple of good profs/teachers I have had over the years (and landmines from the not-so-good).

Example of which is the "Breakout Question" -- definitely going to change the name of that -- where you get the students to split up in pairs or small groups to solve a fairly challenging problem in the middle of class... get them thinking about what they need to learn.

Jean-Luc
March 31st, 2009, 06:29 PM
Good man.

Just remember this:

A good teacher simply give them knowledge.
A great teacher will help them apply that knowledge.

n00b1n8R
March 31st, 2009, 06:38 PM
YOU FOOL

OmegaDragon
March 31st, 2009, 06:57 PM
I hope you make as good as a physics teacher as my physics teacher.

itszutak
March 31st, 2009, 07:05 PM
Example of which is the "Breakout Question" -- definitely going to change the name of that -- where you get the students to split up in pairs or small groups to solve a fairly challenging problem in the middle of class... get them thinking about what they need to learn.
Err, that's not going to work with non-Honors or non-AP students, or any general class. At least, it wouldn't around here.

That sort of assignment leads to groups simply chatting with eachother and leaving the "smart kid" of the table to do the work, or simply not work at all. I honestly don't know what works on those students that don't already care, and I've seen a lot of plans fail. Honestly, the way some students simply don't care makes me sick.

Phopojijo
March 31st, 2009, 07:14 PM
Yeah... a lot of those kids simply don't care because they've already simply given up.

Fixing that will be where the major work is.

Mr Buckshot
March 31st, 2009, 08:28 PM
Congratulations, now come to BC where your teaching job will be securely protected with good pay and awesome pensions.