PDA

View Full Version : Program like this?

MetKiller Joe
April 19th, 2009, 10:06 AM
Is there a program which depending on what you name it and its extension puts it in a folder designated for that kind of file (so, for example, if I wanted to have say, /b pics in a folder, I'd have b_<file_name> or whatever).

It would make organization so much easier. You'd have an extension for firefox that automatically saves the file to a directory and you'd have a executable, that, with a push of a button, relocates your files to their appropriate directories.

Syuusuke
April 19th, 2009, 11:44 AM
Well not sure about the push of a button to organize everything for you, but there is a plugin that will sort downloads into specific folders you want.

It will take some work into it since you need to know the extensions for pictures, docs, music...but its worth it if you want to to get it sorted.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/25

Limited
April 19th, 2009, 07:23 PM
Do you mean, an exe that has the name of the command. Or an exe that you can type a command, such as /b pics and it will put all the files named b* in a pictures directory?

Dunno, theres probably one like it similar, pretty easy to make though.

klange
April 20th, 2009, 04:39 PM
Warning: This post contains regex. If you don't understand regex, too bad.

So... you want to move (.*)_(.*)\.(.*) to, say some folder called \1_\3?
Not sure how to do this on Windows directly, but in Bash with a standard set of Posix apps:

for i in *; do mv $i `echo $i | sed "s/\([a-Z0-9]*\)_\([a-Z0-9]*\)\.\([a-Z0-9]*\)/\1_\3\/\2/"`; done(The extension part probably isn't necessary...)
It'll complain about moving directories, we don't care.

kenney001
April 20th, 2009, 05:24 PM
this can be done with a .bat file easily

klange
April 21st, 2009, 01:24 PM
this can be done with a .bat file easily
I assumed as much, anyone actually have the expertise to convert my Bash to MSBatch?
If not, there's always the brute-force method: install Cygwin (base), which has bash and sed.