PDA

View Full Version : career choices

kid908
May 15th, 2009, 10:36 AM
Im going to apply to college soon and need an opinion a major so i can pick an appropriate skool. post skools that is known in that field if u like

Amit
May 15th, 2009, 10:44 AM
Are you kidding me? How are we supposed to suggest a field if we don't know what pre-requisites you have for each field. Unless you took all of the Grade 12 Math (Advanced Functions, Calculus, Vectors, etc.) and science courses (Physics, Chemistry, etc.) we can't suggest a field yet. Not unless you can give us more info about what you've been doing these past few years and show us some of your progress with game design.

thehoodedsmack
May 15th, 2009, 10:46 AM
All terrible futures. Way to be brainwashed by the man. :cool:

Go MD. At least it offers a bit of variety and self-satisfaction in your life.

But really, you need to put more thought into this than an online poll. :mech:

mech
May 15th, 2009, 10:59 AM
It's spelled school, might want to learn to spell before applying to a University/College.

LlamaMaster
May 15th, 2009, 11:36 AM
It's spelled school, might want to learn to spell before applying to a University/College.
This. Do you really expect to do well in college if you can't even spell "school" right? I'd ask you what your interest are or what you are good at, but chances are you don't know...I know I don't. I'm 17 and have 36 college hours with a 3.5? GPA. I've been taking generic courses towards a generic degree in business. I have no ambition, and no idea where to take my life. I view an office job as a soul-sucking drain of my life, but it seems to be the only way to make decent money. [/dramablog]

MetKiller Joe
May 15th, 2009, 11:47 AM
Do whatever you want.

And by whatever, I'd suggest doing something that makes you happy. Our family's plumber hasa college degree in engineering, but he's happy. I know a guy living in Florida with his mom, single, and does consulting from home, he's happy.

I have little to no experience with these things, but I program and I design, and I'm happy. I'm fortunate enough that I can get a job in that.

RecycleBin
May 15th, 2009, 12:24 PM
Rocket science.

SnaFuBAR
May 15th, 2009, 03:03 PM
Are you really leaving your decision up to an online poll?

Be a male stripper at the gay bar :giggle:

Syuusuke
May 15th, 2009, 03:24 PM
I'll take ya to the gay bar.

Seriously, we can't decide for you, you are who you are, you shouldn't let people decide for you based off a few popular majors....

And if you're unsure, apply to an university, lotsa choices.

You still have time to figure out what you want to do.

Rob Oplawar
May 15th, 2009, 03:28 PM
Not to be a Snaf, but if you're seriously posting that, then of the few schools that will actually accept your application it won't matter which you choose. Pick whichever seems best to you, and don't worry about the academics, cause you're not gonna have what you would call a wide range of choices there.

Inferno
May 15th, 2009, 03:38 PM
Be a trash man. They are bad ass.

kid908
May 15th, 2009, 03:43 PM
ok u want some info =P

GPA: 3.985
Grade: 11(next year)
class taking next year:
*AP psychology
*AP statistics
*Pre-Calculus
*Physics
*Someother science class i forgot the name of
*AP English III
*AP US History
*PE(cuz it's required)
Other: I really understand what I'm taking and I spell school on turn in papers but skool on interweb.

I'm asking on the field to major. I love all those fields and can't decide and neither of them are bad.

Mr Buckshot
May 15th, 2009, 03:59 PM
ok u want some info =P

GPA: 3.985
Grade: 11(next year)
class taking next year:
*AP psychology
*AP statistics
*Pre-Calculus
*Physics
*Someother science class i forgot the name of
*AP English III
*AP US History
*PE(cuz it's required)
Other: I really understand what I'm taking and I spell school on turn in papers but skool on interweb.

I'm asking on the field to major. I love all those fields and can't decide and neither of them are bad.

I'd say engineering. I'm going there, and given all the problems this world is facing, engineering has huge potential. Medicine is also a great field and it is totally recession proof.

I myself absolutely despise the liberal arts but it's your choice if you want to go to the arts, just make sure you really know what you're doing.

Wait, only pre-calculus in 11th grade? How is that possible? I did calculus (analogous to AP calc BC) in 10th grade, and I know all my friends in both here and California did it in either 10th or 11th grade, so it's not because I skipped way ahead or anything. But who cares, as long as you complete calculus before you graduate you're set (better late than never).

As for the science classes, there are only 3 important ones: Physics, Chemistry, and Biology. So which one is it that you "forgot?"

Good GPA, congrats and good luck. But to finish off, I don't think it's a good idea for you to post on a forum asking others to advise you on what you should do in post-secondary. It should be a decision that you yourself make with minimal influence from other people. And it's not necessarily "Oh my highest grade is in this subject so I'll major in that." After all my highest grade right now is in French (very easy because it is a lower-end course) yet I'm not going to become a French teacher or anything.
Go do organized crime - just look at how much you get paid for every job in GTA. All you gotta do is jack cars off the street and shoot other gangstas!

paladin
May 15th, 2009, 07:00 PM
I can guarantee you that you'll change your major by your sophomore year.

Terry
May 15th, 2009, 07:12 PM
Lol. Are you running a poll for a bunch of people in a forum to decide what you want to do with your life?

Newbkilla
May 15th, 2009, 07:25 PM
I can guarantee you that you'll change your major by your sophomore year.

Not really, my brother is top 100 in his school in GPA, and hes going to be senior next year. He's going to be an engineer.. He's not changing. Too long has he been that type, taking things apart, putting them back together. You don't always change your major. It's not a rule, just most people do it because of their lack of knowledge about the career.

E/ just remembered, he's got 10 selections :L

RecycleBin
May 15th, 2009, 07:27 PM
Be your own boss. Make your own unique company.

Newbkilla
May 15th, 2009, 07:28 PM
You're too young to understand the fundamentals of that.

RecycleBin
May 15th, 2009, 07:40 PM
You're too young to understand the fundamentals of that.

huh?

Rob Oplawar
May 15th, 2009, 08:18 PM
Ok, a lot of people (read: 4, :rolleyes:) voted for game design, and I just want to throw in my two cents: As far as I can tell, the majority of successful game designers do not have degrees in game design, and a game design degree is not extremely useful. If you really want to go down that path, major in Computer Science. It's more likely to get you a job in that industry, as well as any number of other industries that need a computer expert, be it IT, networking, programming, etc. Plus you might actually learn something. The game design classes I've seen are... well, the closest thing to useless I've seen so far. The useful ones are animation, art, and programming, all of which you can take as electives during your CS degree.

kid908
May 15th, 2009, 09:35 PM
@ Mr. Buckshot: i took both biology and chemistry. there's another option at my school and i don't know its name. Math is normal here, actually here most don't even take cal and few take pre-cal and i have no idea why. most ppl start freshman year with algebra 1, then geometry, algebra 2 follow, etc. medical school is going to be alot of terminology which i have basics and going to school for 8 or more years just to actually start making money seem like a debt hole right now.

@Paladin: I'm sure i will and I'm going to try to narrow down the fields as much as possible now and not waste money. I'm patient but i have an all-so-short attention span.

@newbkilla: what?

@Rob: I'm in one of those game design class and your right. Just put it this way I know more than my teacher (other than the maya ui navigation).

@Inferno: omfg that was like my 7th choice