PDA

View Full Version : HSC Editor

Rob Oplawar
May 26th, 2009, 10:57 AM
All this talk about Open Sauce makes me excited, and it makes me think the one thing we've really been missing all these years is a good HSC editor. You know, one that provides syntax highlighting, name hints/auto-completion, auto-formatting, and an extensible function list.

Does such a thing already exist?

If not, to give myself a break from the endless web development I do I might write an HSC editor over the summer. Don't hold me to that, though, cause I haven't seen what my summer job is gonna be like yet.

leorimolo
May 26th, 2009, 12:11 PM
I can help you out with syntax and providing script examples, and adding halo 2 xbox support. I don't code but I have a list of all the available and working scripts in halo 2 xbox that xbox7887 gave me.

p0lar_bear
May 26th, 2009, 12:26 PM
Back when I thought I was a hot shit script kiddie with C#.NET, I was actually looking into this. Didn't get very far because I'm a fucking nubcake though. :v:

Features this would need:
Ability to load a scenario tag's data for object names, types, etc for syntax checking. You should use kornman's TagInterface library for this.
Defineable libraries of commands for easy switching between games (was thinking of either using access databases or XML files).
While compiling the script into the scenario should be left to Sapien, at least have something to check syntax.

Rob Oplawar
May 26th, 2009, 02:15 PM
Features this would need:
Ability to load a scenario tag's data for object names, types, etc for syntax checking. You should use kornman's TagInterface library for this.
I've been considering this, and I suspect it will be much more difficult than just a basic text editor with syntax. I'll look into doing it, but it all comes down to how much time I have.
Defineable libraries of commands for easy switching between games (was thinking of either using access databases or XML files).
I'm not quite sure what you mean by this. I intend this to be a tool specifically for Halo CE. Were I to make it more generic for any game, I'd be reinventing the wheel and might as well just extend one of the many existing tools (for example, I'm considering simply doing this as an Eclipse plugin). I do plan to allow the function list to be easily extended and modified (mostly so over time people can add better function descriptions than appear in the standard hs_doc).
While compiling the script into the scenario should be left to Sapien, at least have something to check syntax.
That's the main goal here; to help scripters make function calls with the right number and type of arguments and match up parentheses.

1. The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 1 characters.
fuck you, vBulletin.

p0lar_bear
May 26th, 2009, 02:22 PM
I'm not quite sure what you mean by this. I intend this to be a tool specifically for Halo CE.

Halo, Halo 2, Halo 3, and Stubbs all use the Blam Scripting Language. The library file is just a list of script functions and globals, with their various parameters defined to aid the user with scripting (think IntelliSense, like in Visual Studio) and with the syntax checking. With this, you could do what you wanted to do while also laying down framework for later iterations of Blam.