PDA

View Full Version : The Most Expensive Speeding Ticket

Rob Oplawar
June 30th, 2009, 06:23 PM
Ok, some of you may know, my brother is joining the US Coast Guard. He was set to leave for boot camp today.

However, on Saturday, he was caught going 59 mph in a 25 mph zone. He was required to go to court for this ticket (they threaten you with jail, but the fact of the matter is you don't go to jail for a speeding ticket; the court appearance is punishment enough). The earliest he could go to court was today, which means he missed his flight, which means he'll be late for boot camp.

The amount of the speeding ticket was $250.

Oh also, missing his flight means he doesn't get his hiring bonus. $15,000.

Yep, that speeding ticket cost him $15,250. That's more than I make in a year. :sadface:

PopeAK49
June 30th, 2009, 06:28 PM
That really sucks for your brother. Sometimes a cop can just ruin your life.

Corndogman
June 30th, 2009, 06:31 PM
Sounds like a similar situation I (or rather my friend) was in. A couple friends and I got in some legal trouble, and one of my friends is in the national guard. He was also set to leave for basic training, and was really worried he wouldn't get to go. However it worked out for him and he's at Basic right now. as for me... well I'm still on probation.

StankBacon
June 30th, 2009, 06:44 PM
if i was him id of jest went off to boot camp and said fuck the ticket.

Heathen
June 30th, 2009, 07:03 PM
He could have stabbed him or something.
Local guy here saw a guy throw a bottle out his window, so he picked it up, followed him home, and stabbed him with it. He was quoted as saying "there is no place on the planet for people like him."

Anyways, pretty messed up of that cop, but he was going hella fast in a hella slow zone. So it wasn't the cop that costed him $15,250, but his own fault.

Still sucks.

Xetsuei
June 30th, 2009, 07:50 PM
Anyways, pretty messed up of that cop, but he was going hella fast in a hella slow zone. So it wasn't the cop that costed him $15,250, but his own fault.

Seriously. Who the hell goes 59mph in a 25mph zone? The only places I see the speed limit at 25mph is in neighborhoods and school crossings. There is no reason to go that fast in areas like that, you could kill someone.

FluffyDucky™
June 30th, 2009, 08:20 PM
^ I agree, pretty stupid tbh.

Cojafoji
June 30th, 2009, 09:10 PM
Your brother is a fucking dumbass. He got what he deserved. You break the law, you pay the price.

Rob Oplawar
June 30th, 2009, 10:29 PM
Twisty mountain road. You guys don't understand how fun it is to drive a Subaru the way it was meant to be driven.
For your consideration, the only life he was putting at risk was his own. I've gone 90 in the same area. God it's fun.

Also, I'm delightfully tipsy right now. It's amazing to me how well coordinated I am with the keyboard right now, considering.
*stumbles off to the next thread*

Xetsuei
July 1st, 2009, 12:23 AM
Twisty mountain road. You guys don't understand how fun it is to drive a Subaru the way it was meant to be driven.
For your consideration, the only life he was putting at risk was his own. I've gone 90 in the same area. God it's fun.

If you're going to do something like that, at least be smart about it and get a V1 radar detector.

But yes, I do understand how fun it is to drive a sports car on twisty roads, I'm guilty of doing it several times. But here in Oregon, we don't seem to care about speed limits on twisty roads because they are set anywhere from 35 to 55mph. :haw:

FluffyDucky™
July 1st, 2009, 12:24 AM
Aahaha yeah. My dad is the same, his a rev head. :)

StankBacon
July 1st, 2009, 03:54 AM
once again, he is a fucking moron for actually going to court and not going off to boot.

FluffyDucky™
July 1st, 2009, 03:58 AM
He would have more problems if he did that though.

StankBacon
July 1st, 2009, 03:59 AM
not really.

FluffyDucky™
July 1st, 2009, 04:03 AM
Avoiding court won't get you into more shit? Interesting..

Bodzilla
July 1st, 2009, 04:06 AM
it sure as hell wouldnt cost him 15 grand ducky.

what you think they're going to lock him up and throw away the key?
laff.

StankBacon
July 1st, 2009, 04:07 AM
>.>

id like to think that if im going to serve my country, the state wont worry about a shitty speeding ticket.... perhaps im just being idealistic.

FluffyDucky™
July 1st, 2009, 04:24 AM
Valid points. I r stoopid. :(

n00b1n8R
July 1st, 2009, 06:30 AM
He sped, he got busted.
That's the risk you take vOv

(though if it were me, I probably would have skipped court unless that would have got me in shit at bootcamp)

TheGhost
July 1st, 2009, 11:22 AM
Yeah I'm not familiar with the consequences, but sounds like he should have hopped on that flight.

Cojafoji
July 1st, 2009, 12:22 PM
All you would have had to do was had a brother go in his place, or his father, and then explain to the TRAFFIC court judge, that he went to boot camp.

"What your honor? Satisfying stupid state regulations is more important than serving his country?"

Guilttripped'd.

Teroh
July 1st, 2009, 01:00 PM

Also, I'm delightfully tipsy right now. It's amazing to me how well coordinated I am with the keyboard right now, considering.
*stumbles off to the next thread*
If you drive above the posted the speed limit you accept the risks of getting pulled over, and if that leads to you losing your signing bonus to a military organization it's all completely your own fault. I'm definitely very sorry for what happened, but next time maybe following the laws would be better. Not to sound like a bitch or anything, but driving is a privilege, not a right. If someone decides to break the rules, shit's going down.

All you would have had to do was had a brother go in his place, or his father, and then explain to the TRAFFIC court judge, that he went to boot camp.

"What your honor? Satisfying stupid state regulations is more important than serving his country?"

Guilttripped'd.
Probably would have worked, actually.

Rob Oplawar
July 1st, 2009, 10:32 PM
Oh yeah, everybody knows whose fault it is. It might have worked out better for him to ditch his court date, but he's an honest kid (aside from the excessive speeding).

So since he was home on Tuesday he and I ended up drinking to celebrate his continued presence. Whiskey is nasty and way too strong.

There's a possibility that if he waits until October he can still get a hiring bonus. I have no idea how it works. :/

FluffyDucky™
July 1st, 2009, 11:40 PM
Hope it works out for him! :)