PDA

View Full Version : Now vs then

kid908
July 9th, 2009, 04:05 PM
Ok I'm going to rant on about todays tv shows (cartoons) and how they're a piece of shit!

Omfg all the new cartoons have no fucking violence at all. Remember the good old days of cartoon violence (Tom and Jerry, Looney Toons, Transformers, Batman, etc.)? Those cartoons are based around violence (maybe not the last 2), but my point is that shit blows up in every fucking episode. I can't seem to find 1 show on tv that is either Has a dark and scary atmosphere as Batman or cartoon violence that is the equivalence of the Looney Toons.

Todays cartoons are based on adventures of the cook and a cartoon of a reality show...Is it really that censored in our society to actually have 24 minutes of cartoon violence? But really, how many times can you tell a story of trying to get candy (Flapjack or something like that) that isn't funny or entertaining; very well drawn and animated tho.

Flapjack, I got to admit is very well drawn out unlike other shows. Sure not all shows back then were well drawn, but it was few compared to today's overwhelming amounts of crapitures. The characters don't pop out of the screens anymore, there is no shading to them and every item seems to be solid colors or use of a greenscreen effect. Remember how TMNT look? There were overwhelming amount of details drawn into every character. You could see the wrinkles in the jackets, damaged metal from scratches in stone bricks, and the great lighting done. The animations were also better. When I watch today's cartoon, all I see is walking and talking (which is kinda badly animated) and compared that to the past's animations; the character moved smoothly, action scenes were intense and usually added more details to the character.

I'm not even going to get into the design of the characters. All I'm saying is, if you're going to have to censor, censor some of the voilence, not remove completely and give the show some quality! You have digital aids now, you could just copy and paste now and work quicker but still retain the quality. In the past, each frame were redawn by hand and the quality still beats your quality. How is that even possible?!?!

That's prob. the end of the rant and after saying all that, I feel really old now =(

Shows I used to watch: (Most will be from the 90s or reruns on Boomerrang)
Invader Zim
Tom and Jerry
Dexter's Laboratory
Scooby Doo Where are You? (and other Scooby Doo shows, but mostly the one listed)
Looney Toons (include all seperate shows with the characters)
Pinky and the Brain
Animaniac
Batman
Batman Beyond
DuckTales (I'll Admit, I don't remember a single thing about the show except the theme song)
G.I. Joe
Flintstones
Jetson
Johnny Bravo
Courage the Cowardly Dog
A pup Name Scooby Doo
Hey Arnold!
X-Men
Astroboy (yeah, 1960s but I watched it on vhs)
Samurai Jack
Gundam (Pretty much all of them)
Dragonball Z
Transformers
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle
Ed, Edd, 'n' Eddy
Digimon
Pokemon
One Piece
Card Capture
YuYu Hakusho
Cow & Chicken
Goof Troop
Mickey Mouse
Rugrats
Tiny Toons Adventure
SpongeBob Squarepants

Those are the ones I can remember.

ultama121
July 9th, 2009, 04:20 PM
Yeah, there's been a definite decline in quality as of late.

I don't really care about cartoon violence though. Censorship is probably not the reason why there's a lack of it in though. All I really care about in a cartoon is if its either funny, worth watching, or has good writing.

STLRamsFan
July 9th, 2009, 04:23 PM
Yea today's cartoon's are pretty bad.. I remember waking up on Saturday mornings and watching Disney or Nick Toons. I remember the good ol' days of Gummi Bears, Rocko, Two Stupid Dogs, ect. Heck I remember even watching Dragonball Z when it was still on Cartoon Network. Good times.

PopeAK49
July 9th, 2009, 04:40 PM
Whatever happened to Toonami. I use watched it all the time. :mech:

Mr Buckshot
July 9th, 2009, 04:56 PM
Cartoons are so disappointing these days. Never turn on teletoon anymore. Fortunately, there's Youtube to save me :) I've found hundreds of Tom and Jerry, Looney Tunes, classic 1990s Batman (the current animated series with the anime-esque styling sucks), etc, all on Youtube.

Terry
July 9th, 2009, 05:18 PM
Yeah they're pretty terrible apparently. Maybe I'm too judgemental but they don't have the quality that they used to back in the day. Cartoon Network is pretty much never on in my house (we don't get the good adult swim so its not even worth it).

thehoodedsmack
July 9th, 2009, 06:32 PM
I liked when all the cartoons were hand-drawn. A lot of them look like they were done in Flash or something now-days.

DrunkenSamus
July 9th, 2009, 06:40 PM
Ed Eddn' Eddy(Not sure if I spelled it right)

This show was and still is the shit. Reminds me a lot of 90's style suburban areas where kids would fuck around every day of summer vacation.

Bossniak
July 9th, 2009, 06:48 PM
Street Sharks (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NqGQyMF5a_0), Extreme Dinosaurs (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SqgJ6wzSW8k), Gargoyles (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ygrEVnrg3Ic). I miss you. :(

CabooseJr
July 9th, 2009, 07:05 PM
Whatever happened to Toonami. I use watched it all the time. :mech:

Agreed.:mech2:

Dwood
July 9th, 2009, 07:07 PM
Extreme DINOS HECK YES!!!!! I had them on VHS!!! they were da pimpin.

ExAm
July 9th, 2009, 07:34 PM
There are still a few good cartoons on these days. Billy and Mandy is one of them.

Syuusuke
July 9th, 2009, 08:33 PM
There is one cartoon that is being shown now that's pretty goo-

Nah nevermind. If I had to choose between anime and cartoon at this time period, it would be anime. And I don't watch anime so I'm stuck with no animated entertainment!

WHAT HAPPENED?!

klange
July 9th, 2009, 08:35 PM
There is one cartoon that is being shown now that's pretty goo-

Nah nevermind. If I had to choose between anime and cartoon at this time period, it would be anime. And I don't watch anime so I'm stuck with no animated entertainment!

WHAT HAPPENED?!
I'd say "companies are trying to make their cartoons more politically correct these days and it's ruining them from an entertainment standpoint", but then I remember Captain Planet...

Sel
July 9th, 2009, 08:40 PM
dora the explorer is great

fuck you all

but yeah, cartoons nowadays are shit, bugs bunny and tweety show, duck dogers, and such are the only things worth watching

Bodzilla
July 9th, 2009, 09:49 PM
they dummed down storylines, depth and humor and replaced it with big hairdo's and and bad teen hero's.

like really really bad.

PopeAK49
July 10th, 2009, 12:30 AM
My favorite non-anime like cartoon would probably be.....Johnny Bravo otherwise my favorite action animes were DBZ, Yu Yu Hakusho (something like that), and some samari show that was really good.

Heathen
July 10th, 2009, 12:43 AM
thought we had one of these not too long ago.
This should be locked really :/

New cartoons suck, old ones rule.
Established fact.

Get over it and let kids be raised on this dribble.

English Mobster
July 10th, 2009, 05:13 AM
I just wish the fucking networks wouldn't cancel the awesome shows.

ThePlague
July 10th, 2009, 06:05 PM
Fuck yeah, Gundam! Best shit ever to hit cartoon network/Toonami ever.

E:

Nowadays all people care about is shitty reality shows and comedy.

Jean-Luc
July 10th, 2009, 06:26 PM
they dummed down storylines, depth and humor and replaced it with big hairdo's and and bad teen hero's.

like really really bad.
Gotta remember that it's what the public apparently wanted :downs:

I remember the good 'ol days. Reboot, Rocko's Modern Life, Hey Arnold, Spongebob Squarepants. <3

Gwunty
July 10th, 2009, 06:29 PM
I HATED Hey Arnold with a passion.

kid908
July 10th, 2009, 07:15 PM
Gotta remember that it's what the public apparently wanted :downs:

I remember the good 'ol days. Reboot, Rocko's Modern Life, Hey Arnold, Spongebob Squarepants. <3

No, that's what the parents of the viewers wanted their kids to see.

Alwin Roth
July 10th, 2009, 07:20 PM
i use to watch dragonball z alot of toonami... i like the manga more however.

Jean-Luc
July 10th, 2009, 07:23 PM
No, that's what the parents of the viewers wanted their kids to see.
:ohsnap:

Man has a point. Also, another amazing show with great violence: ZOIDS

Pyong Kawaguchi
July 10th, 2009, 07:24 PM
I miss invader zim
:'(

kid908
July 10th, 2009, 07:26 PM
How did I forget to put Invader Zim on the list!!!! Oh great GIR, Please forgive me! I miss that show. good thing I has it on my comp.

Pyong Kawaguchi
July 10th, 2009, 07:27 PM
WHY IS THERE BACON IN THE SOAP?

klange
July 10th, 2009, 07:28 PM
I miss invader zim
:'(
http://invaderzimonline.com/images/biopics/gir1.png

It took far too long to find an appropriate PNG...
e: I now realize that Gir is blathering at Udonge's chest...

kid908
July 10th, 2009, 07:28 PM
I miss you cupcake T.T

Admiral Bacon! get out of the soup you silly!

Any New Shows people want to list as a good show? (animated show name only).

cheezdue
July 10th, 2009, 07:45 PM
They should bring back cowboy bebop and plenty of other shows that got canceled.

Good_Apollo
July 10th, 2009, 07:58 PM
My favorite non-anime like cartoon would probably be.....Johnny Bravo otherwise my favorite action animes were DBZ, Yu Yu Hakusho (something like that), and some samari show that was really good.Pretty sure you're thinking of either Ronin Warrior or Rurouni Kenshin.

To list every show I watched that I can think of: Doug, Rugrats, Tailspin, Duck Tales, Gundam Wing, Gundam G, Gundam: 08th MS Team, Zoids, Reboot, Angry Beavers, Swat Kats, Street Sharks, Transformers, Transformers: Beast Wars, Dragonball, Dragonball Z, Outlaw Star, Pokemon (OG Series), Sailor Moon (You watched it too), Gundam SD, The 3 Tenchi Series, Voltron, Bonkers, Batman: The Animated Series, The New Batman Adventures, Superman: The Animated Series, Batman Beyond, Justice League (fucking awesome show), Spiderman: The Animated Series, MTV Spiderman, Yu Yu Hakusho, Yu-Gi-Oh! (was good), Jackie Chan Adventures, He-Man, Dexter's Lab, Powerpuff Girls, Samurai Jack, Megas XLR, The Real Adventures of Johnny Quest, Teen Titans, Rocko's Modern Life, Ren and Stimpy, Ahh! Real Monsters, and wow...yeah I'm getting tired of typing. Awesome shit back then... :shake:

Phopojijo
July 10th, 2009, 11:02 PM
I liked when all the cartoons were hand-drawn. A lot of them look like they were done in Flash or something now-days.They often are.

ExAm
July 11th, 2009, 01:38 AM
Yep. Easy to animate, and vectors are scalable to high resolutions. A few of them make it far too obvious though.