PDA

View Full Version : CE for Macintosh?

Dotkito92
July 10th, 2009, 04:54 PM
Hey guys, I have a bootcamped Macbook and I finally got my hands on the Mac version of Halo. After playing both the windows and the mac versions for a while, I decided the Mac version has superior performance, plus it can connect to any PC players who are using the same version! Not bad at all. However I've been unable to find a Halo Custom Edition for Mac. Is it possible for any of the modders like CMT to port their stuff to the mac? I would really like that to happen, thanks.

Llama Juice
July 10th, 2009, 05:45 PM
no, just play it on the PC side of your mac.

Masterz1337
July 10th, 2009, 05:48 PM
I'll probably end up compiling a version of it for myself for mac. If I do it, I'll let you know.

Llama Juice
July 10th, 2009, 05:48 PM
---- this post is useless... the posts I was responding to were deleted.---

sdavis117
July 10th, 2009, 05:49 PM
I'll probably end up compiling a version of it for myself for mac. If I do it, I'll let you know.

I thought there was a version of WINE available for Macs.

Default WINE works on a Mac as long as it uses Intel I believe.

Rentafence
July 10th, 2009, 05:50 PM
Meh, drama drama drama, we let Jay back. Why still hate on this kid?

What are you talking about?

sdavis117
July 10th, 2009, 05:52 PM
What are you talking about?

Old story, and considering my posts about it were deleted, it probably should be dropped.

klange
July 10th, 2009, 06:06 PM
I thought there was a version of WINE available for Macs.

Default WINE works on a Mac as long as it uses Intel I believe.
It's called DarWine. As in Darwin... But with wine.

p0lar_bear
July 10th, 2009, 06:31 PM
There is no Halo CE for Macintosh.

While Bungie and MGS were the main developers, each version of the game went to a different contractor for the port, Gearbox Software for the Win32 version, and MacSoft Games for the Mac version.

I don't think MacSoft will ever make a Custom Edition since I don't think Halo Mac modding was as big as Halo PC modding. And the community won't be able to either because we don't have the source code for either version of Halo.

Dotkito92
July 10th, 2009, 08:49 PM
I know there isn't a mac version of CE. But I know that Combat Evolved itself can be modded, I'm just wondering if anyone wants to port any mods to Halo Mac.

Amit
July 10th, 2009, 10:03 PM

How much work do you think it would take to create a version for the Mac?

p0lar_bear
July 11th, 2009, 02:27 AM
Just how much difference is there between a Halo Win32 and Halo Mac map cache file's structure?

t3h m00kz
July 11th, 2009, 04:34 AM
The irony of this topic is Halo was originally going to be a Mac game.

Oh, how times change.

Hunter
July 11th, 2009, 09:58 AM
This is why mac's suck. :)

jcap
July 11th, 2009, 09:58 AM
It's a good thing it was never a Mac game. It would have sucked dick.

Masterz1337
July 11th, 2009, 10:01 AM
You're teeth are gross. The UK sucks.

Masterz1337
July 11th, 2009, 10:02 AM
It's a good thing it was never a Mac game. It would have sucked dick.

Because an OS totally makes or breaks a game.

Masterz1337
July 11th, 2009, 10:03 AM
Just how much difference is there between a Halo Win32 and Halo Mac map cache file's structure?

There's none, HPC maps are the same all around.

Syuusuke
July 11th, 2009, 10:40 AM

I think he's talking about the amount of players/attention/recognition Halo would get on the Mac.

Masterz1337
July 11th, 2009, 10:41 AM
Well that's a given. I'd agree with that.

jcap
July 11th, 2009, 10:51 AM
Did I ever say that? Even if I didn't, it's still true though.

Had it not been for Microsoft, your little "Halo" you love today wouldn't have even existed.

You can see what Halo was before Microsoft's buyout of Bungie, and working on the limited hardware and operating system is why it was that way. Microsoft loved that they saw, and with the upcoming release of their brand new console, the Xbox, they realized they would need the popularity brought by a popular game. When Microsoft bought them in 2000, they had less than a year (I think it was 9 months) until the Xbox would mass manufactured and distributed. Throughout their course of development, they were dealing with a completely new console with hardware that was equivalent of top-of-the-line PCs. Microsoft was also footing the multi-million dollar budget to start the game from absolute scratch and push it out in time. That is what gave way to the Halo we know today.

ShadowSpartan
July 11th, 2009, 10:54 AM

Having Halo 2 PC be Vista only sure did break that game, so yes it can. Sure there were other factors, but this was one of the biggest ones.

Masterz1337
July 11th, 2009, 11:13 AM
Did I ever say that? Even if I didn't, it's still true though.

Had it not been for Microsoft, your little "Halo" you love today wouldn't have even existed.

You can see what Halo was before Microsoft's buyout of Bungie, and working on the limited hardware and operating system is why it was that way. Microsoft loved that they saw, and with the upcoming release of their brand new console, the Xbox, they realized they would need the popularity brought by a popular game. When Microsoft bought them in 2000, they had less than a year (I think it was 9 months) until the Xbox would mass manufactured and distributed. Throughout their course of development, they were dealing with a completely new console with hardware that was equivalent of top-of-the-line PCs. Microsoft was also footing the multi-million dollar budget to start the game from absolute scratch and push it out in time. That is what gave way to the Halo we know today.
I agree with this, but what I thought you were implying was that the same game for Mac would have sucked.

Having Halo 2 PC be Vista only sure did break that game, so yes it can. Sure there were other factors, but this was one of the biggest ones.
I think the other things wrong with it where much worse than it being vista exclusive.

Hunter
July 11th, 2009, 11:39 AM
Why is this now an argument? :confused2:

Llama Juice
July 11th, 2009, 11:42 AM
Why is this now an argument? :confused2:

You started it.

You know better than to bash macs in a thread where masters' fanboy is showing.

Hunter
July 11th, 2009, 11:45 AM
That was just a personal opinion but I suspose it was my fault Lol. My bad.

Question has been answered /thread

leorimolo
July 11th, 2009, 12:59 PM
Well, Microsoft had no idea halo was going to be this big... They didn't buy bingie because they needed a hit titile, they simply bought them because they needed exclusive games, later on they saw the great hit halo was.

ultama121
July 11th, 2009, 06:26 PM
http://www.halomods.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=94&t=72129

Instantly converts CE maps to mac and PC. There you are.