PDA

View Full Version : The greatest of the greatest

Bodzilla
August 21st, 2009, 05:56 AM
What songs in music history shake you to the core?
this has to be mine
qNoINHdM5WA
A song by australian legend paul kelly, the exact version of the song that i fall in love with is not available on youtube as far as i know.
IT's a much slower version of this song

It's about a wife beater that swings from aggression to love in a heart beat and manipulates his women.
"I ran for cover but i ran too slow...
i was stitched by strangers,
and they shook their heads
that someone could do the evil things you did"

Touches a nerve with me every time.

Brilliance.

What songs have shaken you to the core. Take note if your posting in this thread a video reply on it's own IS NOT ACCEPTABLE.
at least explain or discuss the reason why you hold this song so high in your heart.

Alwin Roth
August 21st, 2009, 11:01 AM
Well... I Do like this:
May it Be and We Are Free Now is what really got me into it,
Was Watching Gladiator, awesome movie it's must see, and I was dying to know what the song was, then i noticed my parents had a whole collection of her CD's...
OX33W8uaKWo
Yeah, I like her music... so what?

I Also got into Techno after that:
The Race Around the World - By: WaterFlame.
TFT4LFfAVqQ

Syuusuke
August 21st, 2009, 05:37 PM
I have loads that give me the chills, I wish I could list them all here but... cba.

Goldfish and Bonobo (most recent artists I found) deserve some praise.

GSBIEMonruE&fmt=18

This isn't the full, but honestly I think this is better than the original.

The bassline is the bomb, I as a bassist, I'm just *drool*

But what really really gets to me is Lucia Micarelli's fantastic, emotional string playing and Chris Botti's playing accentuating the mood, the feeling. I just love it, it's full of love, full of sadness...
m8NN4fpdm40

sdavis117
August 21st, 2009, 05:45 PM
I'll admit, I am more of a fan of classical music.

L6NopU9K_8M

My personal favorite.

Futzy
August 21st, 2009, 06:31 PM
Y1H7vZYBeHc

The Other Side is a close second for me.

Ganon
August 21st, 2009, 06:42 PM
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/MFmNksHMY8E&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/MFmNksHMY8E&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

basically whenever nintendo has a big video screen, starts playing the overworld theme, its pants poopin' time. orchestrated version is better, youtube sux.

Dwood
August 21st, 2009, 06:44 PM
c-ncSNUswVY

Day 17: Loser is pretty epic too.

Read the concepts to understand an inkling of the awesomeness (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ayreon)

thehoodedsmack
August 21st, 2009, 06:54 PM
Gin and Juice - Snoop Dogg

FTH2fDzyqOM

Only a half serious post. Definately not the greatest song of all time, but definately an iconic song of the early gangster-rap genre. That, and it's badass. Say what you want about rap in general, but the early Dr. Dre productions were smooth as hell.

Boba
August 21st, 2009, 06:57 PM
Echoes by Pink Floyd
f88NZ1sxWX0

Ten Years Gone by Led Zeppelin
v16CxX_2qec

=sw=warlord
August 21st, 2009, 07:17 PM
This is possibly the first game music that i took to i was arround 11-12 at the time.
r9MJkJgrvtI
This is another music track i quite like.
mA4UTpnTl_I
As for actual songs?
mfHlA3fmJG0

Rentafence
August 21st, 2009, 07:52 PM
OCAjmuA1HDk

E to comply with this threads rules: The intro is awesome. Then I gotta just :goat:

Varmint260
August 21st, 2009, 07:53 PM
Slightly older music that has shaken me to the core would have to be this intro to the 1972 album Every Good Boy Deserves Favour by The Moody Blues.

It starts with some pretty cool thunder sound effects and sound bites, and some cool uses of guitar, organ, flute, harpsichord and neat-o percussion. I don't even know a lot about all of the instruments used, but it's great how the Procession all culminates into a dramatic but short guitar bit before moving into one of their best rock'n'roll songs, The Story in Your Eyes. It's that moment that always causes my heartbeat to increase a bit.

cbdzUi-vfA4

EDIT: In terms of something a little newer... Farewell by Apocalyptica definitely shakes me up a bit. It frustrates me that in both the concerts I've gone to, they haven't played this song. People I know have listened to it and confessed that it brought them close to tears.

zdnD8660_W0

Alwin Roth
August 21st, 2009, 08:34 PM
Just remember this:
This song with assassin's creed, they we're made for each other
kXu3pdxeKpQ

Sever
August 21st, 2009, 09:24 PM
You knew a well-sized post was coming from me of all people when you started this thread. Also, I'm surprised that you didn't include Tool's Right In Two in your OP... have you grown away from it over the months?

Well, here goes.

Celestia (http://old.zhaymusic.com/zhaytee-celestia.mp3)

This instrumental starts out as an extremely simple and bleak composition of astral sounds, yet eventually develops into a full-scale symphonic stellar masterpiece, all the while still having such a gentle touch, but still holding so much passion and power. Give it a listen.

Now, for some other tracks that evoke similar a sense of awe within me:

e6Oucn2GSpE
Lacuna Coil - The Pain: The basic parts of the song are great on their own, but the bridge (2:38 - 3:10) is what does it for me. The lyrics and vocals, along with the swaggering rhythm and vast sound all mesh perfectly.

3iXMhphebGI
Tool - H.: Everything about this song is so passive, yet so dire at the same time. I also love the foreshadowing done by the intro guitar.

hD3OXFUbcXw
In Flames - Transparent: Everything about this song gets me. Its intensity, its guitar solo (and that's a rare one for me, since I'm not really fond of most solos, since they usually stray too far from the song's vibe), its message, etc.

Hell, I'm even going to post the lyrics:

Consume all the obscene
Persuade the most hideous and ugly
Under every pile and stone
A rebirth, for you to find

Freedom is to be able to go in any direction
So take the uncertain path

One foot in the open
Ten feet ahead
Build your own ladder
And don’t lie to yourself.

Secrets left above the grave
(It’s not for one to keep)
You’re all so self destructive
Spend more time with the broken
(See what became of their mistake)
You know you lost when you feel transparent

Be at one with the wind (ever changing)
Even if it’s a struggle
Make this your priority

Open all your senses to new impressions
Act like all that was has vanished

One foot in the open
Ten feet ahead
Build your own ladder
And don’t lie to yourself.

Secrets left above the grave
(It’s not for one to keep)
You’re all so self destructive
Spend more time with the broken
(See what became of their mistake)
You know you lost when you feel transparent

ft9HVmKOLnE
Ghost Machine - Bondage: The emotions that Ivan "Ghost" Moody (formerly of Motograter and currently of Five Finger Death Punch) displays in this song are just overwhelming.

Wye6CygA0Lc
In Flames - The Chosen Pessimist: Rob hates In Flames, but even he loves this song. That should be enough right there. It is epic in every sense of the word. I dare you to prove me wrong.

Corndogman
August 21st, 2009, 11:58 PM
Pretty much anything by Margot and the Nuclear So & So's (Seriously, if you don't know about this band, you're missing out).

Broad Ripple Is Burning:
0AovtZ1Zxdw
That's a different, slower version of the song off an EP. The faster version off of their newest album(s) can be found Here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-J6-Um3OpUg).

rossmum
August 24th, 2009, 12:00 AM
Pretty much anything by maiden, especially their longer stuff. The Thin Line Between Love and Hate, Journeyman, Fear of the Dark, Paschendale, etc. Incredible music.

ICEE
August 29th, 2009, 10:51 PM
Refrained from posting here because I couldn't think the name of the song. Found it though

c71RCAyLS1M

This song is philosophy

Cojafoji
August 30th, 2009, 12:22 AM
All music shakes me to the core. Though, I do have a specific list.

Old Crow Medicine Show - Wagon Wheel.

That is the only TRUE song that shakes me to the very inner cookie. My mind and the soothing melody of that song once made glorious love on a humid summer night three years ago in July. In every neuron firing, there were bits of glorious psilocybin, pulsating like beacons of glory and hope in my mind. This song enveloped me like the coldest autumn breeze, saturated in the mist from a nearby river. I felt myself unwind, all of the base pairs in my DNA unraveling, only to be rejoined with parts of the proteins having born a musical scarring from the notes. So that is life, I have embraced my genetic coupling to this song. This saga of God's...

Siliconmaster
August 30th, 2009, 12:58 AM
Wow. I was going to try to comment on all the songs I liked in this thread already, but there are so many I decided it would be longer than my actual post. Great music choices, people.

I love the Planets, but sdavis117 already beat me to it. I think I'll have to throw in some Bear McCreary, in this case Diaspora Oratorio. For those who haven't watched BSG, the track is a pinnacle of joy and bitter-sweetness in a world of despair, and it honestly made my cry the second time I saw the episode. The first time I was too busy worrying because it was too happy.
6UgXIf9jhF4

Then, the other side of the coin- Prelude to War, one of the more epic pieces from the soundtracks.
SlcUwUwjLrs
As a percussionist I love the rhythms, and the melody is awesome as well. And in context it gives goosebumps.

neuro
August 31st, 2009, 02:35 AM
8zj8ihXM4CM

calm song, this song just fills me up, and yes has something of absolute emptiness to it. can't really describe it, listen for yourself really.

Timo
August 31st, 2009, 05:23 AM
Y-0CjwiWr_c
Sends chills down my spine, everytime I listen to it.

PlasbianX
August 31st, 2009, 08:15 AM
fdos1RlfFPs

I Won't See You Tonight (Part 1) by Avenged Sevenfold.

The lyrics are straight out of the suicide note the original bassist wrote to the band. That mixed in with Synyster Gates' guitar work just does it for me everytime.

Lyrics:

Cry alone, I've gone away
No more nights, no more pain
I've gone alone, took all my strength
I've made the change,
I won't see you tonight

Sorrow, sank deep inside my blood
All the ones around me
I cared for and loved

It's building up inside of me
A place so dark, so cold, I had to set me free
Don't mourn for me,
You're not the one to place the blame
As bottles call my name I won't see you tonight

Sorrow sank deep inside my blood
All the ones around me
I cared for and most of all I loved
But I can't see myself that way
Please don't forget me or cry while I'm away

Cry alone, I've gone away
No more nights, no more pain
I've gone alone, took all my strength
But I've made the change,
I won't see you tonight

So far away, I'm gone.
Please don't follow me tonight
And while I'm gone everything will be alright

No more breath inside
Essence left my heart tonight
No more breath inside
Essence left my heart tonight

FRain
August 31st, 2009, 04:43 PM
gRuReVCFOY0

UnevenElefant5
August 31st, 2009, 11:01 PM
Path - Apocalyptica
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGnAzkh9kn0
Just, the pace of that song is so intense it touches me every time.
Also:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7HBIOiwJ2R4
Great for letting off steam

ultama121
August 31st, 2009, 11:53 PM
RiV_ue-PbL4
This song's instrumentals and vocals are just breathtaking to me. It means a great deal to me about the appreciation of life in general. The cry towards the beginning in song is a really intense release.
T0N5YblvT1c
This song right here is another great song both vocally and instrumentally. The lyrics sound both like a lamentation and a criticism which was neat to me.
_bCbEt2eM2Q
The sound of Brandon's high and dire voice is sad and exhausted. I think we've all had this feeling at one time or another.
r_IFjToCnp8
This is just a really pretty song with some really really good instrumentals. The sound in her voice sounds like a deep yearning.

Bodzilla
September 1st, 2009, 02:39 AM
Ultima read the purpose of this thread, in the opening post.

It's not to post random vid clips or music it's to explain in depth if possible where and why these songs mean alot to you.

If your not doing that all it is a +1post shit thread, and we've got enough of them.

FRain
September 1st, 2009, 08:13 AM
That wasnt a +1 shitpost, bod, that is a song that sends fucking chills up and down my spine because it just oozes of a night-life feel. people could have found that out by clicking on it

rossmum
September 1st, 2009, 09:44 AM
1gmgwx77osw
I don't think I even need to explain this one.

wHGBpM7MLNI
Crowded House have always been makers of beautiful music, but this one just takes the cake in my opinion

Bodzilla
September 1st, 2009, 04:23 PM
That wasnt a +1 shitpost, bod, that is a song that sends fucking chills up and down my spine because it just oozes of a night-life feel. people could have found that out by clicking on it

but you didnt read the fucking thread and do anything to explain the song.
This is not the PWRU listening to +1 fest,
nuff said is not said.

ultama121
September 1st, 2009, 07:10 PM
I apologize, those songs are not just randomly dumped, I can assure you that. I misunderstood part of the thread. I'm updating my post in a second.

Higuy
September 2nd, 2009, 04:19 PM
44xirQ55IgA
this song has been my favorite song for A LONG TIME, I dunno what about it, but he sends me chills almost every time I listen to it.. I'm not much of a fan of coldplay's other music, but I love this one.

Bodzilla
September 2nd, 2009, 04:23 PM
you should check out the original by Joe Satriani, before coldplay stole it.

Higuy
September 2nd, 2009, 05:12 PM
I had always knew that they were very similar and that coldplay probally copied joe, but then again, I like this version alot better in a way..

Sel
September 2nd, 2009, 05:38 PM
0L1hD5OlPtw

ICEE
September 2nd, 2009, 05:38 PM

Satriani forever (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CMcjXo8ZuqE)

AAA
September 2nd, 2009, 06:06 PM
Fuckin' Amazing. I fell asleep to this music for 2 years.

KdSnKwSTWD4

Corndogman
September 3rd, 2009, 03:14 PM
this song has been my favorite song for A LONG TIME, I dunno what about it, but he sends me chills almost every time I listen to it.. I'm not much of a fan of coldplay's other music, but I love this one.

You should check out other stuff from that album then if you haven't already. IMO most of the songs on the album are better than Viva la Vida. That album is a little different than Coldplay's older stuff though, so even if you don't like them you might like the stuff on that album.

ICEE
September 3rd, 2009, 03:49 PM

Damn it boddy. I took this advice and now I cant stop listening to satrianis stuff. Its fucking amazing.

Bodzilla
September 6th, 2009, 06:14 AM
mUxKgtFHDo8

This has to be one of the greats, i mean jesus it just cuts through you.... and that lap steel guitar solo..... get me every fucking time.
brings tears to my eyes this song.

Bodzilla
September 27th, 2009, 01:01 AM
Bumping dis thread

gQrA5ggPqJo

did someone say, nostalgia?
i'll miss the pumpkins they made some wicked music and this is a fucking awesome live vid of them.
if you havnt heard this song, you've missed out on alot.

chilling performance.

Ganon
September 27th, 2009, 02:45 AM
Always liked smashing pumpkins because the singer doesn't sound like anyone else. Here's another older song ;O

4C-RueD59oE

Bodzilla
September 28th, 2009, 05:09 AM
NCfVFxRsKQc
this song just solved my musicians block for the last 4 months.

i just made my first original song in 4 months, sure i've had some things, but this is the first i love in ages.
thank you pink floyd, they dont get more epic then this song.

rossmum
September 28th, 2009, 11:20 AM
I genuinely wish I was born in the 50s, so I would've grown up with the four best decades there ever were or ever will be with regards to music. I only got one.

siqrnVnTSUY
T4oO_I0p3Xk
srgi2DkDbPU

blind
September 28th, 2009, 09:02 PM
7iAhKYjxVyM
Sublime - New song.

Fucking amazing song, heroine does terrible things to you but makes you a genius. The guitar solo always makes me stop running/jumping/walking just because its so psychedelic. Beats catchy too

Cortexian
September 29th, 2009, 12:30 AM
Turn up your volume, press play, close your eyes and sit back:

9c2ZJPKz5u8

Siliconmaster
September 29th, 2009, 12:39 AM
Turn up your volume, press play, close your eyes and sit back:

9c2ZJPKz5u8

Gives me chills, yet has much more of an impact when you realize what's going on in the scene. Still, nice choice.

Cortexian
September 29th, 2009, 01:19 AM
Another of the favorites I have from BSG, is any of the songs featuring the following melody, it's a great composition... Almost always brings tears to my eyes and gives me the chills.

dEJCaTLfRGQ

OGcMPp7TNo4

o40JlfPou20

DZdS2KKvwVo

etc... Love it... Those are in order of appearance in the shows as well, at least according to the soundtracks.

Bodzilla
September 29th, 2009, 02:32 AM
freelancer if ya want to keep posting in this thread add more information about the songs and why.

and no "epic" is not a valid description.

this is about the discussion of the greats, not just a post some coo music.

Cortexian
September 29th, 2009, 10:55 AM
freelancer if ya want to keep posting in this thread add more information about the songs and why.

and no "epic" is not a valid description.

this is about the discussion of the greats, not just a post some coo music.
I like how I gave more information than some people, yet you singled out my posts anyways.

Eleven
September 29th, 2009, 09:32 PM
Isis - Weight

PUAhfyMf59s

This is a beautiful song. The way it builds towards a climax is perfect; despite being almost 11 minutes long, it never seems to descend into repetitive musical wankery. Great song, great album~

If you've never listened to Isis, I highly recommend checking them out - they're an excellent band. Their latest album was, in my opinion, a bit of a letdown, but if you like the music you should definitely go and pick up a copy of "Oceanic" or "Panopticon".

I suppose I sound like a billboard. Meh, more people need to know about this band. :-3

Lateksi
October 8th, 2009, 07:04 AM
In Flames - Colony (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xXxN3fuGmaU)
Metallica - Wherever I May Roam (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JgNkvLB7BlM&feature=fvst)
Ayreon - Day 11: Love (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YTSt58Xelz8)
Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IXdNnw99-Ic)

blind
October 8th, 2009, 01:20 PM
-SoZQ2unLlo
The Immense Defecation Of The Buntaluffigus

by HORSE the band.
Listen to the lyrics, you'll know how moving it is :]

Skarma
October 8th, 2009, 09:12 PM
s6BEpiEC7nU
Abandon All Hope by Aesop Rock
My favorite artist of all time. I think he has the best style, word play, and metaphors out of anyone. The way he does this song is just raw and just gives me chills. Seriously, zone in on what he is saying.

This was his first song on his first self released album, Music for Earthworms. The video was for a college project back in 1997! If you are wondering what Aesop means, it's a playoff of Aesop's Fables, teaching life lessons through metaphors and stories.

Jean-Luc
November 1st, 2009, 01:51 PM
Revivin' dis thread.

This is an incredible performance by Mark Knopfler backed by the Philharmonic Orchestra from the 1997 concert, Music for Montserrat. Sends chills down my spine.

9XVVZPefbR4