PDA

View Full Version : How hot am I?

n00b1n8R
November 8th, 2009, 03:26 AM
I often use my laptop on my bed and I know that the sheets block the fans a bit and it seems like the machine is running hot a lot of the time (obviously not good for it). How would I go about checking the temp of the CPU or other components? I've rooted around in task manager and the performance tab but that's no help.

So how do I check?

Running vista btw.

Rook
November 8th, 2009, 03:30 AM
You better get it off your shets :ugh:

but, http://www.cpuid.com/hwmonitor.php

beele
November 8th, 2009, 03:35 AM
What rook said. It's one of the best/free tools there is.

If you want I have a sidebar gadget for nvidia cards to show the temp.

EDIT: added gadget in rar file as attachment.

n00b1n8R
November 8th, 2009, 03:58 AM
fixed the typo :p

Not doing anything particularly hardware intensive and they're all <135F (since yanks mostly read here, but that's ~45 for us SIfags), when should i start to worry?

(obviously not the most tech savvy user on the forums here ;) )

Thanks for the link btw.

Rook
November 8th, 2009, 04:41 AM
Even though us fags use F when talking about comps it's still usually in C. However you have nothing to worry about @ 45C

n00b1n8R
November 8th, 2009, 04:56 AM
(what temps should I worry about, is that a lot for just surfing web/word processing?)

beele
November 8th, 2009, 05:24 AM
Depends on your laptop, but mosly 40-45°C (CPU) is fine, when doing some allday tasks. gpu is fine around 45-50. If it's more try cleaning the vents, use a notebook cooler, it will greatly lengthen your laptop its lifespan.

I had an acer brake down because it was running too hot (only two years old) ran at 50-60°C, my new clevo runs at 35-45 :)

legionaire45
November 8th, 2009, 10:48 PM
I generally don't like letting CPUs get over 60C but that's being safe. 70C is about the point where you really should be worrying.