PDA

View Full Version : WWII in HD

Warsaw
November 16th, 2009, 10:56 PM
So, who here has the History Channel and who here is watching and/or has been watching this miniseries?

Link (http://www.history.com/content/wwii-in-hd)

Been watching it, and so far it's pretty good...excepting the fact that I don't own an HDTV and am stuck watching in in 480i...:maddowns:.

paladin
November 16th, 2009, 11:01 PM
Waiting for DVD. But I have been looking forward for this for a long time. Just like the Pacific in March!

StankBacon
November 17th, 2009, 07:22 AM
fuck i wanted to watch this, totally forgot.

Limited
November 17th, 2009, 07:26 AM
Been watching them for a few weeks. To me, seeing it is colour is more than just "oh its colourful".

Usually I cant relate to black and white film, it doesnt seem real. Yet seeing the WWII stuff in colour is shocking, it just shows how real a grusome it really was. One big, some guy got hit by a shell, you saw his legs get blow off and fly in one direction, the rest of the torso in the other alot of blood obviously. Usually in a video game, I'd be like, woah awesome. But I was shell shocked.

Warsaw
November 17th, 2009, 10:06 PM
Yeah, it is pretty powerful to see these images in colour and with full detail. Hearing some of the stories told by these soldiers just kinda makes you go "God damnit" inside.

Heathen
November 17th, 2009, 10:10 PM
Its pretty damn good.

Amit
November 17th, 2009, 10:50 PM
I want to watch it in HD, but I don't know if I even have the HD channel.

mech
November 18th, 2009, 12:06 AM
I tuned in today. It's a very great series, will be watching the rest of the episodes.

English Mobster
November 18th, 2009, 01:04 AM
Shit. Of all the times I don't have access to the History channel... :smith:

paladin
November 18th, 2009, 10:49 AM
I want to watch it in HD, but I don't know if I even have the HD channel.

Lol, its not actually HD. You can watch it on the regular channel. 37 in the PNW

Amit
November 18th, 2009, 03:07 PM
Lol, its not actually HD. You can watch it on the regular channel. 37 in the PNW

Oh lol, stupid me. I forgot how old the videos were. Channel 43 for me on Rogers Cable.

NuggetWarmer
November 18th, 2009, 04:27 PM
It's really cool.

Warsaw
November 18th, 2009, 05:14 PM
Oh lol, stupid me. I forgot how old the videos were. Channel 43 for me on Rogers Cable.

Film has a higher definition than digital recording inherently...:raise:. It's just the TV gets less detail the lower its resolution.

cheezdue
November 18th, 2009, 05:21 PM
I saw some parts of it yesterday and saw this one guy with his whole jaw shot off.

mech
November 18th, 2009, 07:59 PM

Interviews with the WW2 vet's are in HD.

paladin
November 18th, 2009, 10:23 PM
Regardless, you can still watch it on a regular tv, on the regular non HD History channel

Amit
November 18th, 2009, 11:32 PM
Just found out there is no HD History channel in my area :( Guess I'll have to do with Discovery HD.

paladin
November 18th, 2009, 11:59 PM
Mines like 637 or something on Comcast

StankBacon
November 19th, 2009, 11:15 AM
channel 47 here :p

on topic tho, this show is very good...

the footage is amazing.

Warsaw
November 19th, 2009, 01:15 PM
Channel 120 with Dish...=O

Series ends tonight, playing all the previous episodes all day today. If you are interested but missed out on the earlier ones, tune in now.

Needles
November 19th, 2009, 09:25 PM
I'm halfway through the finale right now. The images they show of the people tortured and starved and dead in massive amounts really got to me. It's severely depressing, you think about it, but when you actually see it :smith:

I kind of found the whole finale depressing, they show the camps, they show the atomic strikes, and whole cities are just gone...nothing but ruble, really puts a much more real and worst picture into my head then what I ever imagined.

Warsaw
November 19th, 2009, 10:07 PM
War is a stupid, silly business; there really is no reason for it to happen. What Westbrook said is right: the ones who create the mess are never the ones fighting. If they didn't have fanatical support, one leader could go right over and slap the bad one silly and we'd be done but because he has his defences, we have to throw millions of lives at him just to get to him.

Good_Apollo
November 20th, 2009, 12:15 AM
War is a stupid, silly business; there really is no reason for it to happen. What Westbrook said is right: the ones who create the mess are never the ones fighting. If they didn't have fanatical support, one leader could go right over and slap the bad one silly and we'd be done but because he has his defences, we have to throw millions of lives at him just to get to him.Not so much, it's just an unfortunate side affect of humanity that will never go away. It's not some cause of modernism or simply greed over money or political power. Look at the tribal people all around the globe, they still war with each other constantly with abandon to the modern age.

Warsaw
November 20th, 2009, 03:52 PM
I agree with your assessment, but that doesn't make war any less silly. You just learn to embrace war for the benefits it brings, those being rapid advancement of technology, ridding the world of a bad dictator, and awesome book/movie/game material.

paladin
November 20th, 2009, 04:15 PM
"Either war is obsolete or men are."

-R. Buckminster Fuller

War is a necessary evil.

"In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace, what did they produce? The cuckoo clock."

-Orson Welles