PDA

View Full Version : Anyone here into Chemistry?

Alwin Roth
March 2nd, 2010, 05:04 PM
Thanks

=sw=warlord
March 2nd, 2010, 05:08 PM
I have to questions that I'm quite confused on, searched it couple times on web engines, really didn't get much...

+rep to whoever can answer them, but try to explain why...

-Which element is common to bronze and 18 carat gold?

-What is the benefit to using an alloy like 18 carat gold in jewelry instead of pure gold?
The material is less malleable meaning the shape the metal is put into is retained better than in its pure form where the shape could be lost with very little ease.

Warsaw
March 2nd, 2010, 05:31 PM
I'm going to go out on a limb here and say copper, because it is reddish and yields a yellower colour (think rose gold). It's also the reason it's used in brass. That in itself is valuable. The properties of copper also make the 18kt. gold harder to scratch and dent than a higher purity.

rossmum
March 2nd, 2010, 05:35 PM
Yeah, but when 18kt gold tarnishes I'm fairly sure it doesn't turn blue, which is common to basically anything with copper in it (brass, bronze, etc.)

sleepy1212
March 2nd, 2010, 05:56 PM
both of these are better answered in terms of manufacturing rather than chemistry.

I remember these questions from an Industrial Manufacturing and Materials class i took to get tech credits..
.of course i forgot most of it as soon as the semester ended ....lol bio major.

my guesses for #1 would be copper, tin, or silver. depending on the desired properties (e.g., durability, corrosion resistance, malleability, etc...#2)