PDA

View Full Version : Integrated ATI + Geforce GT 220 - help With displays

Corndogman
March 18th, 2010, 09:02 PM
So I have a radeon 3200 integrated that came with my computer, and I just installed my new GT 220. Both have HDMI outputs, however, I noticed that the picture was much better on the integrateds hdmi output. But since I have the nvidia drivers installed i cant use the ati display adapter.

So in short, how can I make it so I can use my ATI integrated for one display, and then my geforce card for my secondary display?

Amit
March 18th, 2010, 10:27 PM
I seriously doubt you can use both. Make sure you're using the latest drivers along with the native resolution for your monitor. Other than that, I'm not sure how one could look better than the other. Take screenshots of the desktop connected to the ATi and nVidia. Upload them here and we'll compare the image quality.

Rook
March 18th, 2010, 11:04 PM
ati and nvidia drivers both installed running at the same time doesn't even sound like a good idea.

Phopojijo
March 19th, 2010, 12:35 PM
The most important question is... are you running Vista?

jcap
March 19th, 2010, 03:51 PM
Depends.

If your computer disables the integrated graphics when you are using a PCI-E graphics card, you're out of luck right there.

If it doesn't disable it, you might be able to do it. You can run two different graphics drivers at once. Windows will let you install different drivers for different hardware. However, there is a catch. The WDDM (Windows Display Driver Model) does not allow different graphics drivers to be in use simultaneously. Now, you will still be able to use the latest drivers, and Windows won't be any less stable, but you will lose some functionality. If you are running Windows Vista or 7, for WDM (Aero) to run, you need to be compliant with WDDM. If you're not (running different driver versions), you will only get the basic theme with no special effects or transparency. And you need to be careful about the driver version. I had a problem when ATI released a new driver and removed support for legacy cards, and both cards were ATI, but were running different driver versions.

On XP, I don't think you have this problem because all those drivers are XPDM.

Corndogman
March 23rd, 2010, 09:44 PM
I'm running windows 7 64-bit. And I think it may have disabled the integrated card, because I can't even find the display adapter in the device manager (it used to be there, now it just shows the GT 220).

When I say it doesn't look as good, to me it seems less sharp, and blacks don't really look black, more blue. Btw, I'm not trying to use the processing power of both cards, I just want to be able to use them to connect displays. Or if I wanted to add a 3rd monitor, which would mean I'd need to use the integrated graphics adapter as well. I've read other places online that its possible, just not sure how.

Corndogman
March 23rd, 2010, 10:29 PM
Okay I've figured it out. I went into the BIOS and changed the setting to boot the on-board adapter first. I've got the HDMI plugged into the integrated adapter and the VGA to the GT 220.

Also, Amit, I tried taking screenshots but the image doesn't change at all, it only looks different to the person looking at the monitor. I'd have to take pics with a camera.