PDA

View Full Version : Scientists create first synthetic organism!

Abdurahman
May 21st, 2010, 12:24 AM
Oh crap it's the end of the world now!

read here it's really long

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748703559004575256470152341984.html?m od=WSJ_hp_editorsPicks

Cojafoji
May 21st, 2010, 12:27 AM
Read this earlier on reddit. A totally synthetic genome, that acts and behaves exactly as it was designed. Not only will this open a whole new field of human genetic research, but it could even aid us in interplanetary colonization (methane breathers anyone?). Still a long way to go though. A long, long long way...

Siliconmaster
May 21st, 2010, 01:16 AM
This is really, really cool. I'm looking forward to what will come out of this. Hopefully some pretty useful and innovative stuff.

rossmum
May 21st, 2010, 01:27 AM
This is a bit awesome

ExAm
May 21st, 2010, 01:39 AM
Just to clarify, the composed DNA strands were mostly similar to an existing type of bacteria by a large margin, and the DNA was inserted into an already existing cell. "Synthetic life" this ain't.

ICEE
May 21st, 2010, 01:41 AM
oh dear. This could get amazingly cool. Also, imagine the political implications. The controversy that could arise from this is unspeakable.

"Outlaw hunting synthetic animals its cruel!"

Just to clarify, the composed DNA strands were mostly similar to an existing type of bacteria by a large margin, and the DNA was inserted into an already existing cell. "Synthetic life" this ain't.

And our genome is 50% identical to that of a banana. Mostly similar != the same. Maybe this isn't synthetic life, but its pretty damn cool

ExAm
May 21st, 2010, 02:58 AM
And our genome is 50% identical to that of a banana. Mostly similar != the same. Maybe this isn't synthetic life, but its pretty damn coolActually, they were actively trying to copy said bacterium.

Dwood
May 21st, 2010, 05:49 AM
This is a step in the right direction but I'll be truly surprised when they are able to recreate what happened on the earth some billion years ago at the formation of life, as most scientists suppose... People have been injecting dna into life forms like bacteria for ages now... It's mostly a ctrl + c then ctrl + v job right now, don't get excited yet.

"I view this as an organism with a synthetic genome, not as a synthetic organism. It is tough to draw where the line is." - I'm not excited until the organism isn't just copy and pasted dna as well as copy and pasted organs.

CN3089
May 21st, 2010, 07:00 AM
This is a step in the right direction but I'll be truly surprised when they are able to recreate what happened on the earth some billion years ago at the formation of life, as most scientists suppose...

Well unfortunately most scientists don't have the resources to run a billion year long experiment :(

sleepy1212
May 21st, 2010, 07:10 AM
Oh god, applications in industrial bacteria. Like they haven't fucked up our food enough.

Cojafoji
May 21st, 2010, 09:56 AM
Actually, they were actively trying to copy said bacterium.
I'd like to see you write a genome Mr. Smartypants McGiggledick.

No but seriously, the best way to learn something, is to mimic something else, gain a fundamental understanding of it and go from there. Baby steps.

Easy now...

Siliconmaster
May 21st, 2010, 11:20 AM
Think of the applications: bacteria that produce fuel, or a vaccine. It could be insane.

Warsaw
May 21st, 2010, 12:14 PM
GATACA, here we come!

=sw=warlord
May 21st, 2010, 12:43 PM
While they are indeed trying to copy the Yeast cell, they were still writing the chromosome themselves and the best way to find if they have a effective technique for making synthetic life is to replicate known species, if that works then you know your technique works.
Next step is to work on a completely custom cell.

More information here (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/science_and_environment/10138831.stm)

I don't think people appreciate the power of this revolution. I don't think the scientists are behaving unethically but this is potentially so powerful we have to think now how we are going to realise the benefits before exposing ourselves to the risk.

If this research goes in one direction Dr Venter may get the Nobel prize, but if it goes in another direction there will be no Nobel prizes to give because there will be no people to give them.

NuggetWarmer
May 21st, 2010, 01:08 PM
I read the title as "Scientists create first synthetic orgasm!"

Well, at least they can make themselves girlfriends now.

SnaFuBAR
May 21st, 2010, 04:42 PM
I really don't think we should use this to introduce to the food industries and the like. There was a synthesized bacteria strain that was introduced into lab soil to improve the growth of plants (corn crops i think). It was approved for use by the FDA, and was thereafter quickly found to overcompete with natural bacterium and fungi in such a way that it was no longer a beneficial bacteria. The plants died. The end result of use in a commercial setting would have been eradication of plant life on a large scale.

ExAm
May 21st, 2010, 07:52 PM
It's mostly a ctrl + c then ctrl + v job right now, don't get excited yet.More like retyping your source material while glancing between it and your own sentences, for many, many pages. Oh, and you're typing on a keyboard a mile wide with each key separated at walking distance.

Timo
May 21st, 2010, 11:41 PM
Craig Venter and team make a historic announcement: they've created the first fully functioning, reproducing cell controlled by synthetic DNA. He explains how they did it and why the achievement marks the beginning of a new era for science.
http://www.ted.com/talks/craig_venter_unveils_synthetic_life.html

English Mobster
May 23rd, 2010, 02:21 AM
This could only be made cooler if, as they were injecting the DNA, they were in the middle of a thunderstorm, cackling evilly and screaming "IT. IS. ALIIIIIIIIIIIIIVE!"

Choking Victim
May 23rd, 2010, 01:03 PM
It certainly is synthetic. They copied the genome of an existing organism, but the genome itself was entirely synthesized from scratch by a computer. The genome even has it's own watermarks embedded in it, such as a web address, the author's names, and 3 quotes. All of these watermarks use a language developed by the research team using the standard GTAC lettering, the language allows them to utilize the entire english alphabet including punctuation.

Hotrod
May 23rd, 2010, 03:48 PM
Man, even though it's something small, I still say it's fucking impressive.