PDA

View Full Version : So Larabee is dead...

Abdurahman
May 25th, 2010, 05:38 PM
Comments?

http://www.engadget.com/2010/05/25/intel-kills-larrabee-discrete-gpu-will-focus-on-integrated-grap/

Cortexian
May 25th, 2010, 08:44 PM
Yay?

Larabee never showed any potential to compete with other mobile GPU solutions, it seemed to just be a late-to-the-party attempt at increasing mobile GPU performance while saving power.

Bhamid
May 26th, 2010, 06:15 AM
i thought they changed it into a GPGPU thing.

Also, More competition from Nvidia in the CPU market hopefully ;)

Phopojijo
May 26th, 2010, 12:53 PM
Yeah this sucks. We are shifting towards GPUs being irrelevant and instead having 2-processor systems... light-threaded processors that have complicated instruction sets and massively-threaded processors that have simple instruction sets.

Intel kicking their feet only slows the more open market (PC) down as the closed platforms (consoles/set-top boxes, remote desktop solutions like OnLive, etc) attempt to overtake it.

nVidia's bleeding bags of money trying to push the industry forward to GPGPU being the standard... if Intel doesn't step up to the plate -- either people will stop including their parts (hopeful) or people will stop taking advantage of more advanced parts (sadface).

Dwood
May 26th, 2010, 02:03 PM
I look for the day when we can add and pull general processing units like they were PCI-E slotted; <My dream> Forget about all this "built in" motherboard crap. the whole thing should just be super performing plugin slots with a small processor and bios to manage them.

The more freedom we can take with em the better.

=sw=warlord
May 26th, 2010, 02:26 PM
I look for the day when we can add and pull general processing units like they were PCI-E slotted; <My dream> Forget about all this "built in" motherboard crap. the whole thing should just be super performing plugin slots with a small processor and bios to manage them.

The more freedom we can take with em the better.
You mean like the slot CPU's from years ago?

Dwood
May 26th, 2010, 05:57 PM
Basically but there is actually support for it in this dream.

Cortexian
May 26th, 2010, 06:16 PM
Haha, my server used to be a P3 slot processor, was old as hell. Much prefer the new way processors connect to motherboards, so I'm not quite sure I understand what you're getting at Dwood.

Phopojijo
May 26th, 2010, 06:51 PM
He seems to mean that he wants just one socket... it's not that it's a slot format, it's that it is one for AMD, Intel, etc.

Start by getting instruction sets unpatentable first.

=sw=warlord
May 26th, 2010, 06:59 PM
He seems to mean that he wants just one socket... it's not that it's a slot format, it's that it is one for AMD, Intel, etc.

Sadly the closest anyone will really get is this.
Click here
(http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleID=1829)

Dwood
May 27th, 2010, 04:54 PM

It doesn't even have to be that. just a basic teeny mobo processor to divvy up commands to the right PCI-E slots where the cpus are. Essentially it achieves the same effect as a single slot but you could have as many procs as slots on your mobo, and there would be no "AMD" or "INTEL" etc etc wall of separation. The current system is bad.

Phopojijo
May 28th, 2010, 01:26 PM
Yeah there are a few architectural reasons why that won't really work. The best chance we'll have for that system is with GPGPU.