PDA

View Full Version : D-day commemoration thread

Boba
June 6th, 2010, 12:21 PM
I feel like it was necessary to honor the associated parties of the Second World War (Yes, both sides), especially on the 66th anniversary of the invasion that served as the springboard for the liberation of Europe.

Related pictures:

Post pictures, discuss, etc.

Futzy
June 6th, 2010, 12:30 PM
I can't believe that we actually fought wars like that. Fighting wars is bad enough, but throwing thousand of men into a battle that they know most will die in was absolutely terrible. The best I can hope for in world peace is reading sci-fi books and hoping for the future.

Cojafoji
June 6th, 2010, 01:25 PM
Those guys had balls of steel to get through that.

Also, unrelated, but in response to MrBig's comment:
It's a pretty sobering thought to realize how many of us have met our demise at the hands of another human. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Most_lethal_battles_in_world_history)

rossmum
June 7th, 2010, 12:05 AM
Glad to see someone remembered it. My grandpa landed with the Canadians.

e/ let's play Darkest Hour?

Botolf
June 7th, 2010, 01:20 AM
No war is just, but some are necessary. An unfortunate truth in this wonderful we live in (and it is wonderful, make no mistake. The sacrifices of our ancestors have done a lot to make it that way).

TeeKup
June 7th, 2010, 03:06 AM
Even though the day has darkened, there are still sources of light. We must not forget those that have passed, but allow the pain to disappear, and for those that have been lost; to know that they have been found.

May all those who gave the ultimate sacrifice rest in peace.

My grandfather was in WWII

Cojafoji
June 7th, 2010, 03:48 AM
My grandfather was in WWII
Not to lessen the sacrifice of your grandfather, but I'm sure we all have a relative who served. CBI here; the forgotten theatre.

rossmum
June 7th, 2010, 04:48 AM
My other grandfather was in the Pacific (PNG). He was a driver but being on the Kokoda Trail, he still was pretty much in the thick of it. Even years after he'd drive with two wheels in the gutter and the lights off.

Limited
June 9th, 2010, 09:14 AM
My hometown was one of the areas US soldiers left for D-Day. To us its very important that we commemorate the bravely they displayed. I've been to every one of the D-Day beaches and to the cemetery of some of the soldiers lost, and it is such an emotionally powerful place.

rossmum
June 9th, 2010, 10:42 AM
Yeah, I went to pretty much every battlefield, museum and cemetary in western Europe as a kid. I don't think people realise until they go there themselves.

Futzy
June 9th, 2010, 12:17 PM
Yes, I went to the cemetery in D.C. It was endless.