PDA

View Full Version : Games suddenly crashing my computer.... HELP!

Aerowyn
July 16th, 2010, 11:11 PM
I had posted this in the help section on the Steam forums, but since I don't expect to get any useful replies over there, I figured I'd ask you guys too.

So just yesterday, Steam released an update for Counter-Strike, TF2, and Day of Defeat: Source. This update "Tuned thread initialization to improve performance on CPUs with more than four cores."

I don't have a CPU with more than four cores. So, I figured everything would be the same as normal, I grabbed a snack and got into game.

Starting the game, not a problem. Joining a server, still all right. But about 5 minutes in, my game freezes up. I get the "looping sound" crash, and then the screen goes black like the game is about to crash to the desktop. Only it doesn't crash to the desktop.

Instead, my monitor goes into standby. Like, it turns off. The lights on my computer stay on, but there is no response out of it when I try to do anything to bring my desktop back up. I have to reset my computer after this, naturally.

I'm really frustrated because everything worked A-OK before this update. I don't think it's an overheating issue because even when I tried it this morning, after just turning my computer on, it still crashed the whole damn thing. And it's not just a TF2 problem--I thought it was, so I went to play some Counter-Strike and had the same issue.

I am not sure if this is the fault of Steam (even though I haven't encountered anyone else on the forums with this problem) or just an odd coincidence, but any help is really appreciated.

My computer's specs:
Running Windows XP (with SP3)
AMD Athlon 64 Processor 3800+
2.41 GHz, 2 GB of RAM
Radeon X800 Series video card

EDIT: It turns out that it's crashing even at the main menu. I had TF2 up while I looked at some of the video settings and the screen went black on me then, too. Oh, balls.

Phopojijo
July 17th, 2010, 12:20 AM
Did you disable multi-core in the settings?

Aerowyn
July 17th, 2010, 03:36 AM
Did you disable multi-core in the settings?

Already took a look through my settings, multi-core rendering was already disabled. All my other video settings are on the lowest levels (since my video card is sort of shitty). While looking at those settings, my computer crashed in the same manner.

Part of me thinks it's the video card, but why on earth would that cause my whole computer to shut down? And why NOW, when it's worked so well until yesterday? :(

Cagerrin
July 17th, 2010, 04:53 AM
Does it happen with non-Source games? Or with any Source games not part of that update?

Aerowyn
July 17th, 2010, 03:10 PM
Does it happen with non-Source games? Or with any Source games not part of that update?

I don't have any non-source games to test it on...

EDIT: But I did just try a source game that was NOT included with the update (HL2: Deathmatch). Same deal. Things looked okay until I brought up the server list. There was a lock-up (some artifacts showed up on the screen, so now I am assuming this is a video card problem), screen turned off, there you have it.

So it's not because of Steam's update. It's definitely something wrong with my hardware, I'm just not sure what or why.

Syuusuke
July 17th, 2010, 05:54 PM
You could download demos of other non-steam games and see? I don'treally know what demos are out there but...Trine demo?

Aerowyn
July 17th, 2010, 07:40 PM
I just did some googling to see if anyone else had the same problem..... and a lot of the places I saw that discussed similar issues said it could be the power supply going bad. Does this make enough sense for me to try swapping out my PSU?

annihilation
July 17th, 2010, 08:08 PM
Yes.
Based on your problems I would swap it out.

Aerowyn
July 18th, 2010, 01:23 PM
Yes.
Based on your problems I would swap it out.

Welp, I swapped out my power supply today. I was hopeful, but no dice. Got into game, got the same crash. THIS TIME, though, when I restarted my computer, the boot screens had artifacts and stuff all over them, and then my computer crashed in the same manner AGAIN once I reached the desktop.

Video card issue, do you think?

I'm really starting to think it's time for a whole new computer.

InnerGoat
July 18th, 2010, 04:31 PM
Going with the whole new computer option because that box is quite old even for source games :-3

annihilation
July 18th, 2010, 05:15 PM
Bad RAM maybe? Try this (http://www.memtest86.com/) and see if it finds anything wrong.

Well, if you're seeing artifacts on the bott up screen it could be your graphics card. I don't see why it would shutdown your pc though unless it's over heating.

FRain
July 18th, 2010, 05:28 PM
If you're getting graphical artifacts then it's likely a GPU failure. Also, try to see if it happens (idk if you tried or not you werent specific) on NON source games, because then you could sort out wether or not it's an in-engine but or an all out-hardware problem. The same shit happened on my brother's comp before I cooked his Radeon All-In-Wonder 9700 (probably the most badass video card i've ever had a chance to use)

Going with the whole new computer option because that box is quite old even for source games :-3

shut up shut up my box is older :p
im getting a new one in a week anywho

Inferno
July 18th, 2010, 07:09 PM
Try updating system bios and graphics drivers if you haven't already.

Aerowyn
July 18th, 2010, 07:46 PM
I don't even know where to begin in terms of a non-steam game to test. Any demos that are worthwhile?

iizahsum
July 18th, 2010, 09:58 PM
just download one of those free fps games. there pretty fast to download.

I think it was combat arms, I used to play it and it downloaded in 15minutes. that was like a year or 2 ago though so it may have changed.

Aerowyn
July 18th, 2010, 10:26 PM
Downloaded the Trine demo and hopped into the game.... about 2 minutes into the intro, same deal. Computer froze, turned itself off. Only this time, I think that was the straw that broke the camel's back, because I can't get my computer to properly start up anymore. O__O

Every time I turn the computer on I get artifacts on each boot screen (it was sporadic before, now it is frequent).... then it goes to the desktop like normal until you try to launch something, then the computer turns back off. (sending this from my sister's computer, haha)

I updated my drivers and directx, I replaced my power supply.... I'm out of ideas. The video card HAS to be the culprit. It's definitely time for a new video card anyway. >>; Anyone have any suggestions for a good gaming card for sort of cheap? I'm on a bit of a limited budget, not having a job and all. :(

iizahsum
July 18th, 2010, 10:34 PM
Whats your price range?

Aerowyn
July 18th, 2010, 10:39 PM
Whats your price range?

I'd like to keep it at or under $300, if at all possible. >>; I'll probably be paying for this with an advance on my christmas money, so yeah. :(

FML.

iizahsum
July 18th, 2010, 11:01 PM
You can get good video cards cheap so $300 is more than enough.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130514

Inferno
July 19th, 2010, 12:55 AM
Yeah go ahead and talk to frain. He built a computer on 96 bucks.

FRain
July 19th, 2010, 12:57 AM
Well thats cause I got your help by sending me ram and pyong sent me a video card.

:p
the rest is history

Syuusuke
July 19th, 2010, 08:24 AM
I think that was the straw that broke the camel's back, because I can't get my computer to properly start up anymore. O__O

My bad

InnerGoat
July 19th, 2010, 07:11 PM
You can get good video cards cheap so $300 is more than enough.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130514

p sure she meant 300 for everything.

300 is doable if you're keeping most of it and only replacing the cpu, mobo, ram, and gpu :)

Aerowyn
July 20th, 2010, 04:05 AM
p sure she meant 300 for everything.

300 is doable if you're keeping most of it and only replacing the cpu, mobo, ram, and gpu :)

Well, I've already got an extra mobo here, so I don't really need to buy that, but the rest is stuff I DO need to get. While I'm at it I'd might as well get a new HDD too. :\ except I have no monies.

InnerGoat
July 20th, 2010, 04:26 AM
what socket is the board, or model

DarkHalo003
July 20th, 2010, 06:44 PM
Try updating system bios and graphics drivers if you haven't already.
This. Portal crashed when I reached a certain level and I had to update my drivers. After that, it worked perfectly okay.

Edit: Oh, I see, your computer got fuxed. Nvm, but keep in mind it is important to update graphics drivers.

RedBaron
July 20th, 2010, 06:57 PM
The same thing basically happened to my nVidia 9800 gt in my tower. I was playing L4D2 one night, threw a pipebomb, and the moment it was supposed to explode (and send dozens of limbs into the air), the color on my screen went negative for a split second before turning off, and my comp crashed with looping game sound. Reboot, and from then on I got artifacts from the bios screen. Windows 7 also turned my video card off all together, saying that it malfunctioned in the control panel and forced my resolution to 800x600. The card was from XFX, which provides lifetime warranty. I sent in the card for RMA, and a month later they sent me a replacement. The only problem now is that my tower can only fit a single layer PCIe card, and XFX sent me a 9800 gtx (as opposed to my original 9800 gt). Though all the specs and clocks are way better than my original card, the new card doesn't even fit in my tower because it's a dual layer! :D So yeah... FML.

Anyway, for such an old tower (Dell Dimension 5150 with a SINGLE CORE), I decided that it's not worth upgrading parts just to fit around my new video card, which is why I went ahead and bought a $1530 laptop with a 720QM quad core and Radeon HD 5870 (Fuck nVidia!)

Syuusuke
July 21st, 2010, 08:37 AM
If you're interested in purchasing a decent GPU for 99.99 (plus 4.95 shipping)...

http://www.geeks.com/woot/

Should be a page with Geforce GTX 260 with savings code GTXWOOT

Aerowyn
July 26th, 2010, 12:21 AM
If you're interested in purchasing a decent GPU for 99.99 (plus 4.95 shipping)...

http://www.geeks.com/woot/

Should be a page with Geforce GTX 260 with savings code GTXWOOT

It's out of stock currently, but I will DEFINITELY bookmark this, double check the motherboard I'm going to put in this thing (I don't have a clue, my mom's assisting me and she's better with all that hardware bullshit..... yes, my MOM). I want this fixed as soon as I can afford it.

sevlag
July 26th, 2010, 01:56 PM
I'd like to keep it at or under $300, if at all possible. >>; I'll probably be paying for this with an advance on my christmas money, so yeah. :(

FML.
my laptop is around $360 at bestbuy llast i checked and the specs are fine, i know its not a great idea to use a laptop for gaming but if your budget is only 300 this is the only thing i can think of close to it

Aerowyn
July 29th, 2010, 08:56 PM
How do you guys feel about this video card:
http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=BFGSGTS2501024DE-R&cat=VCD
(For those too lazy, it's a "BFG Tech GeForce GTS 250 1GB DDR3 PCI Express (PCIe) Dual DVI Video Card w/HDCP Support")

I'm trying to get all the shit I need from Geeks.com, since they have a 750GB hard drive on there for $40, and I want to get them at the same time. I need to make a fast decision before they're both sold out.

I only run Valve games on my computer, so would that video card be suitable enough?

FRain
July 29th, 2010, 09:04 PM
More than.

Syuusuke
July 29th, 2010, 09:28 PM
The video card is definitely better than the one you have now.

InnerGoat
July 29th, 2010, 10:13 PM
aerowyn that will do fine you can just max everything out in source games

Aerowyn
August 12th, 2010, 09:12 PM
Welp, I am currently re-installing all my games, but.... hopefully my problem is solved.

I ended up buying this video card:
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3738445&CatId=3670

It's a downright BEAST. I also got a 500gb hard drive and Windows 7. Woot.

annihilation
August 14th, 2010, 07:38 AM
I would have gone with the GTS 250 seeing as though it's pretty much the same thing and it's cheaper.

Aerowyn
August 15th, 2010, 07:59 PM
I would have gone with the GTS 250 seeing as though it's pretty much the same thing and it's cheaper.

Except for the fact that it was out of stock and I was told by Lightning that getting a "GTX" card was the best thing for me. :P

Anyway, time for this thread to end because my problems are solved. I have windows 7 now, my computer runs great, and my games can all be played on high without so much as a hiccup.

Thank you so much everyone for the help!