PDA

View Full Version : Art Institutes is a TERRIBLE school

Moses
September 14th, 2010, 03:27 PM
Right off the bat I'd like to say that I will probably not be tending to this thread so if anyone has any questions I probably wont be around to answer them. Anyway, here's my story at Art Institutes for those who have attended, are attending, or are thinking about attending. Here's my story

http://clubvoxannalive.com/sueainow_forum/index.php?topic=78.0

I'm sure you are all familiar enough with navigating a forum to find other people's stories.

Edit: Just to clarify, Art Institutes is owned by EDMC. Any "School" that is owned by EDMC is going to be a scam because EDMC is the place that all the tuition goes to and is known as a diploma mill. You may be surprised to find that ITT Tech is also owned by EDMC and is a scam college too. DO YOUR RESEARCH. I didn't and now I owe $27,000.

Donut
September 14th, 2010, 03:29 PM
i was there for the majority of that shit too. hes not making any of this up.

not even the -18/6, lol

Jean-Luc
September 14th, 2010, 04:34 PM
Yep, I went there for a year, left before second year started. With the exception of my lit teacher, I didn't learn anything worthwhile and I'm $7,000 in debt.

iizahsum
September 14th, 2010, 05:03 PM
wow, I love you for posting this. I am a senior in High school, and I was looking into going to this school; now I won't.

Sel
September 14th, 2010, 05:20 PM
http://www.newsociety.com/bookid/4012

everyone should read that.

Also school is really dumb, if you're able to do something you don't need a certified piece of paper saying you can do it.

There's a reason why you NEVER hear anyone attribute their success to schooling, and you've more or less hit the nail on the head.

SnaFuBAR
September 14th, 2010, 05:43 PM
Basically guys, if the school is legit, you'll be able to know where your instructor has worked, what their successes are, etc. If your instructor doesn't do anything in the industry you're interested in, the school is a fraud.

Ai is a fraud, and people get mad at me for telling them that, but it's true. They're not accredited, their stuff doesn't transfer and their diplomas are worth only the paper they are printed on.

If you are interested in actually attending an art and design college, look at what schools those people who inspire you went to. A legit art school will cost a lot of money. You get what you pay for.

thehoodedsmack
September 14th, 2010, 06:21 PM
I had considered going to the Art Institute of Toronto for film-making, not knowing that the schools were like this at all. That's quite shocking.

Cojafoji
September 15th, 2010, 02:17 PM
If you don't feel like getting scammed, or shelling out massive dough for uni's, try community college. Tons of the profs there continually work in their field, unlike uni profs, who (quite a hefty few) have chosen to teach full time (not saying they didn't earn it). Obviously this doesn't apply to science type endeavors, as they're probably working on a university grant as they speak, but then you have assistants who give lectures for them etc. In community college, there are no assistants, and the class sizes are small enough for question/answer affairs. Sorry, just had to advocate.

Warsaw
September 15th, 2010, 08:11 PM
Also, community colleges are there to provide you an education. Most universities, however, are there for research. They teach students as a source of revenue to continue research.

Amit
September 17th, 2010, 01:18 AM
Also, community colleges are there to provide you an education. Most universities, however, are there for research. They teach students as a source of revenue to continue research.

Hit the nail on the head.

ICEE
September 17th, 2010, 02:00 AM
AI has a touring program where they take the potential student on board for a week, during which time you (the student) live in their dorms, and take "sample classes". What it ended up being was a source of cheap labor. They had the students designing posters for a client. This is what all the "majors" did aside from culinary (including graphic design, game design, etc, all of them made posters). Pretty terrible really.