PDA

View Full Version : Forum purgatory

Kornman00
November 23rd, 2010, 04:25 PM
Forum purgatory. The state of when you don't have another forum which you can relocate to when the main one which you current has ceased to hold a purpose, drive or even a sensible community.

Another thread crying about modacity? If you want to call it that, sure.

Who else feels they are in forum purgatory? I for one don't have the time to "move on" to another game engine. Not with work and real life right now. Maybe if I was still in high school like some of you folks probably are still.

Futzy
November 23rd, 2010, 04:39 PM
Yep, I mostly moved to NeoGAF in the last few months. Not much a community left here.

=sw=warlord
November 23rd, 2010, 04:41 PM
Without insulting anyone, Visiting this place has become what Halomods was to me before source guy took over.
By that I mean I only really visit this place for the same reason anyone goes to visit the Zoo, to see the caged animals fighting between them.

Personally I've long since moved on from just "lounging" on the forums, sometime's there's a topic that interest's me.
Sometime's there's some new drama but always the same old site with the same old users.
The only thing that's really interested me recently was shortly after Selentic got banned here he decided to follow me to the other forum's I visit to cause a stir.

As far as I'm aware, this site has two options, find a game worth modding and making maps for and dedicate itself to the cause, preferable a new franchise entirely that won't already have a established fanbase or carry on as is, which is the hub for ageing modders from time's past to reminise about the "golden days" and to occasionally fight between each other and randomly talk about various upcoming subjects that's discussed in more detail in their appropriate websites.

paladin
November 23rd, 2010, 04:50 PM
I could copy pasta what I said to you on Facebook, but thats too much button mashing for me. Neogaf > here

Timo
November 23rd, 2010, 05:06 PM
I just can't be bothered trying to re-establish myself in another community. I'd like to get this place going again but nothing can really be done that'll magically make new users turn up :\.

Aerowyn
November 23rd, 2010, 06:12 PM
Modacity is pretty much Halo-centric, the Valve boards are sort of quiet most of the time (which is where I am usually looking), so my trips to modacity usually only take 5 minutes or so. *shrug* Wish there was more variety is all.

Llama Juice
November 23rd, 2010, 06:29 PM
I post semi regularly on four forums. This one is moreso just here for lulz. I mainly just check the youtube/funny pictures threads and occasionally poke around... but I dislike the general attitude of the forum so it makes me not want to stick around.

It's a shame too, because I know a lot of the members here are actually cool people IRL. But then again, the people I've met aren't the ones that bother me.... or post very often any more for that matter.

annihilation
November 23rd, 2010, 08:13 PM
This is the only forum where I feel comfortable.

cheezdue
November 23rd, 2010, 08:20 PM
This is the only forum where I feel comfortable.

I feel the same way too.

ICEE
November 23rd, 2010, 09:18 PM
This forum isn't serious enough

Polycount isn't funny enough

I cannot win. The problem isn't entirely the forum, its me (and the rest of you who cry about it)
I'd like to see a larger community with a wider range of topics. Not just modding, but general game discussion too.

Hotrod
November 23rd, 2010, 09:27 PM
This forum isn't serious enough

Polycount isn't funny enough

I cannot win. The problem isn't entirely the forum, its me (and the rest of you who cry about it)
I'd like to see a larger community with a wider range of topics. Not just modding, but general game discussion too.
I agree with this. I miss having a nice big community with new posts every minute that I can check on. Remember back in the day when CMT had their own section, as well as every other project? Man, those were the days. I'm also disappointed that all those projects kind of died. What ever happened to High Resolution Halo for example? That seemed awesome.

In short, once again, what he said ^

Arteen
November 23rd, 2010, 10:57 PM
I spend more time lurking on the Penny-Arcade forum than posting here. I don't like this site all that much and I only really read the Reach thread anymore. But at least this site is more accommodating of harsh language. No pussyfooting around calling people out when they're being fucking moronic.

STLRamsFan
November 24th, 2010, 12:09 AM
Eh, I've been around this community for over 6 years so I can't really be bothered to reestablish myself to another community. I still keep in contact with old school folks such as Legend, Killer, Shadow, and Phil (Kings of Destruction for life y'all).

BobtheGreatII
November 24th, 2010, 01:24 AM
Nope. I'm really content with the forum the way it is.

p0lar_bear
November 24th, 2010, 12:13 PM
Yeah, I, too, am in forum purgatory. I'm too comfortable here to move somewhere else (meaning how I post, not talking about how I have magical admin powers here [that frankly, I haven't used much of late]), and too busy to do anything worthwhile here. I'm starting to think that I've sort of outgrown forum communities... lately it feels like there's not much I'm passionate about, whereas 5 years ago I was dead focused on learning the HEK and playing CE. In fact, the only thing I've really been interested in lately are little web development oddjobs, and forum communities based around various facets of web development seem way too professional and over-mature for my tastes.

Feels like the idea of p0lar_bear might just disappear from the internet eventually... and I actually don't have that much of a problem with it if it were to happen.

Pooky
November 24th, 2010, 02:01 PM
Feels like the idea of p0lar_bear might just disappear from the internet eventually... and I actually don't have that much of a problem with it if it were to happen.
I can think of several people who might have a problem with that <_<

But really, I only post on forums when I'm bored, and this one isn't hampered by a bunch of overbearing rules or moderation. CBF to move anywhere else.

jcap
November 24th, 2010, 02:32 PM
http://topnews.in/light/files/peta_logo.jpg

http://www.goodlogo.com/images/logos/greenpeace_logo_3213.gif

http://www.starpulse.com/news/media/1112ImaginationlandPartIII-2.jpg

thehoodedsmack
November 24th, 2010, 02:36 PM
Though we have our differences, Modacity generally houses like-minded individuals, who share thoughts and insight on topics we can all enjoy, ranging from video games to political affairs.

It is the digital water-cooler.

That's what I like about Modacity. Maybe it's because I never got into any other online communities, but I feel like there's a nice dynamic of users.

p0lar_bear
November 24th, 2010, 03:29 PM

I'm not talking about mass name changes or forsaking the internet entirely and becoming Amish or anything like that. More or less saying that I don't see myself getting active in any forum community after this one.

t3h m00kz
November 24th, 2010, 08:30 PM
I don't plan on ever touching the halo engine ever again. the community, as portrayed over on Halomaps completely ruins any sort of good time I could possibly have on it.

and I've been too lazy to learn unreal engine 3. I have the time, just not the motivation.

I'm just here for the off topic and community discussion.

sevlag
November 25th, 2010, 07:34 AM
meh as long as someone has something of interest to say Im kept out of purgatory, but with the CE section literally almost dead and a majority of my browsing is now either the MC thread in tech, some various TF2 thread, or off topic.

what i do like is while we do get one or two new users we don't get that big an influx., so its safe to say the last person here might be some oldbie from 06 taking a quick trip down memory lane before getting the lights

Warsaw
November 26th, 2010, 05:44 AM
Pssst, not all of us oldfags registered here in '06. :v:

I hang out mostly in Tech Talk and The Studio. I just wish there was more activity in the latter since most of us here are talented at something we can post up. I would post more but there are never any replies, so I don't bother.

Futzy
November 26th, 2010, 09:49 AM
Pssst, not all of us oldfags registered here in '06. :v:

I hang out mostly in Tech Talk and The Studio. I just wish there was more activity in the latter since most of us here are talented at something we can post up. I would post more but there are never any replies, so I don't bother.
This is pretty much how I feel, I've been a part of the halo community since 04 and I just don't see this as worth posting in anymore when there are other forums with thousands of users always online and a stronger community feeling.

Siliconmaster
November 26th, 2010, 10:55 AM
I'm in the same boat. I stick around mainly for the pictures funny random, and the occasional interesting thread or project release, but the only thing really keeping me here is my own project, Precipice, which has an extremely limited audience: you guys. After that releases, which is looking to be pretty damned soon, I'm not sure how often I'll pop in. I'll still get the email thread notifications, but idk about active membership. Even so, I spent enough time in this community to feel connected to it, so I'd like to stay somewhat connected.

As for other forums, I just don't have the effort or time to put into it anymore. I wouldn't be able to adapt and integrate into a whole new group of members.

STLRamsFan
November 26th, 2010, 01:27 PM
I've lately been posting more and more at GBX since this place hasn't had as much stuff for me to talk about these days. Considering I hardly posted there for the past two years it's kinda weird. :\

§partan 8
November 26th, 2010, 04:11 PM
I don't plan on ever touching the halo engine ever again. the community, as portrayed over on Halomaps completely ruins any sort of good time I could possibly have on it.

and I've been too lazy to learn unreal engine 3. I have the time, just not the motivation.

I'm just here for the off topic and community discussion.

Same here^

Donut
November 30th, 2010, 10:26 PM
i would love to post work on here to try and get things moving a little more, but between school and my general lack of motivation, not much ever gets done.

i feel like every member of this forum has an area of expertise that complements the general atmosphere here. there is a lot of potential here, and even if there isnt any development going on, generally whenever i have a tech question i can ask it here and it gets answered fairly quickly and well.
E: and yeah, idk. i dont really want to deal with re-establishing myself in another community, but i guess if i was to ever relocate, it would probably be on the forums for Unity.
this thread is making me depressed. everything i know has been falling in around me lately.