PDA

View Full Version : CES 2011

PlasbianX
January 5th, 2011, 08:11 PM
No thread? Anyone keeping up with this? There's been some great announcements so far. One being the Droid Bionic which I'm actually tempted to trade in my phone for. 2 Ghz, 1 GB of ram, and runs on the 4G network. :iamafag:

Also they showed off a phone (AT&T network though :/) running Android software and basically has the power of a modern laptop. Well why would you want a phone thats basically a laptop? Well cause they have a docking station for it thats basically a netbook so you can plug it into the dock, and it shows your screen on the display and you get a full sized keyboard. That's pretty cool considering you get a laptop and phone all in one.

Anything you've guys seen that's impressive?

Warsaw
January 6th, 2011, 03:02 PM
I'm waiting for the presentation on Web 4.0. The guy who's giving it, I know personally.

Warsaw
January 6th, 2011, 06:50 PM
Sorry for double post, mods, but holy shit is this necessary. I present to you:

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.engadget.com/media/2011/01/razer-switchbladconceptces-20112.jpg

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.engadget.com/media/2011/01/razer-switchbladconceptces-20113.jpg

Seriously. Fuck the 3DS, the PSP2, and the iPhone/iPod Touch as portable gaming devices. This has just taken the cake. Read more here (http://www.engadget.com/2011/01/06/razer-switchblade-preview-3g-intel-oak-trail-almost-definitel/).

After that, there's something more pertinent to content creation. ASUS has a line of tablets coming out (full details here (http://www.engadget.com/2011/01/06/asus-tablet-lineup-preview-slider-transformer-memo-and-slate/)). The most interesting, to me, is the 12" Eee Slate EP121, which contains a Wacom digitizer for input, and full-fledged laptop internals (i5 CPU, not Atom). Cheap bastard's Cintiq? I think so. There's also the 7" Memo device, also having input. Pressure sensitive as well, but not Wacom.

thehoodedsmack
January 6th, 2011, 07:29 PM
Am I alone when I say I don't like the glossy look everything has now-days? Personally I preferred fingerprint-free matte-coloured beige and black desktops and laptops.

As for the product itself, it certainly does look cool. Battery life would be the deciding factor for me.

Edit: I actually laughed out loud when Min-Liang Tan started talking. His voice is intense.

ThePlague
January 6th, 2011, 07:38 PM
I came.

iizahsum
January 6th, 2011, 07:53 PM
Will it run Crysis?

One of the comments on it, made me lol.

That is amazing though.

Warsaw
January 6th, 2011, 08:10 PM
Am I alone when I say I don't like the glossy look everything has now-days? Personally I preferred fingerprint-free matte-coloured beige and black desktops and laptops.

As for the product itself, it certainly does look cool. Battery life would be the deciding factor for me.

Edit: I actually laughed out loud when Min-Liang Tan started talking. His voice is intense.

Yeah, I like matte too. If it's an option I will always go matte, but it's not a deal-breaker for me.

I can almost guarantee that if this thing is a market success, Razer will make a desktop keyboard using the same tech (tech that Microsoft is actually responsible for...have a friend who worked on the prototype).

So, who else thinks this is as awesome as I do?

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.engadget.com/media/2011/01/eee-slate-hands-01-gal.jpg

Timo
January 6th, 2011, 08:20 PM

Matte is far better. My new monitor is rounded and glossy, and covered in fingerprints :\

Cortexian
January 6th, 2011, 08:47 PM
Switchblade is awesome, def going to get one in the future at some point. Probably around Gen2 when they work out all the bugs the Gen1 will certainly have! I also laughed at the Razer CEO's voice, so intense. And the Intel guy was just reading a script on camera lol.

And I'm with ya guys on the matte over gloss. My Alienware M15x is a glossy aluminum design and it's covered in highly visible fingerprints and smudges. Matte is where it's at.

PlasbianX
January 6th, 2011, 09:22 PM
Yeah, I like matte too. If it's an option I will always go matte, but it's not a deal-breaker for me.

I can almost guarantee that if this thing is a market success, Razer will make a desktop keyboard using the same tech (tech that Microsoft is actually responsible for...have a friend who worked on the prototype).

So, who else thinks this is as awesome as I do?

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.engadget.com/media/2011/01/eee-slate-hands-01-gal.jpg

I have that program! Probably the best program I think I've ever purchased. (art rage studio pro)

Warsaw
January 6th, 2011, 09:24 PM
I've been interested in ArtRage, but I don't have a tablet. I also don't fancy the disconnect between tablet and screen. This solves both issues while doubling as a computer.

Nero
January 6th, 2011, 09:26 PM
Dunno if this was at CES or not, BUT OMG.
http://www.dailytech.com/Toshiba+Issues+Warning+for+its+GlassesFree+3D+TV/article20571.htm

thehoodedsmack
January 6th, 2011, 09:29 PM
Like the article says, Nintendo issued the same warning for their new 3DS console. I still don't get what people like so much about 3D TV, movies, and games.

Warsaw
January 6th, 2011, 09:30 PM
It was first day CES and last couple of days before CES. It fits. They said viewing angles were narrow, but that's to be expected of a prototype technology.

Nero
January 6th, 2011, 09:46 PM
Like the article says, Nintendo issued the same warning for their new 3DS console. I still don't get what people like so much about 3D TV, movies, and games.
I was with the same mind set as you, until I read this article.
I think that 3d will be more appreciated if it isn't so demanding on the wallet.

Cortexian
January 6th, 2011, 11:01 PM
The tech for 3D without glasses isn't very good for televisions, you need to be sitting in a very small defined area for it to work correctly. It works fine on the 3DS because it's a handheld that you can move around until you get the desired effect, and then hold it there.

BobtheGreatII
January 7th, 2011, 01:23 AM
I want the Xoom Tablet. Don't so much want to mess with Verizon. But I'll take anything over an iPad... and I'm really looking forward to Honeycomb.

Dwood
January 7th, 2011, 02:28 AM
I want to see Xi3 make it mainstream.

Cortexian
January 7th, 2011, 10:24 PM
RED Scarlet:
http://www.engadget.com/2011/01/07/working-red-scarlet-appears-at-our-trailer-we-go-hands-on-vid/

$6,000 is very affordable for that kind of camera, probably gonna end up getting something from RED when I want a dedicated video camera... I had the chance to play around with an entire EPIC (note: the EPIC is a RED camera) setup for two days last week or the week before, the thing was awesome.

Lateksi
January 8th, 2011, 10:14 AM
Shit, the Switchblade looks fun with all the customizable buttons too. You won't have to bring a laptop (or a DESKTOP PC) to a LAN party. Just put that little thing in your pocket and you're good to go!

Warsaw
January 8th, 2011, 04:25 PM
Mind you, it won't play games on high settings. I'd still rather take, at the very least, a high-end laptop with me. This thing is more for killing time on a train ride or just before class.

PlasbianX
January 8th, 2011, 04:32 PM
N3DS Only has 5 hours of battery life... that's... terrible. Lol.

ODX
January 8th, 2011, 05:30 PM
But considering that it's only slightly bigger than the DS, yet has much more processing power/etc...it is kind of acceptable. If you somehow NEED to play it for that long though, straight, with no charger in, then something is wrong with you.

Amit
January 8th, 2011, 11:22 PM
But considering that it's only slightly bigger than the DS, yet has much more processing power/etc...it is kind of acceptable. If you somehow NEED to play it for that long though, straight, with no charger in, then something is wrong with you.

You do realize that not everyone intends to drain their battery all at once? Think of it like an MP3 player. You turn it on when you want to be entertained and turn it off when it's time to go back to life. It's not like I listen to my iPod for 7 hours straight. And still, I complain about the shitty battery life.

CodeBrain
January 13th, 2011, 09:00 PM
N3DS Only has 5 hours of battery life... that's... terrible. Lol.

Uh I hope you realize that the 5 hour battery life only occurs if all the settings are on MAXIMUM settings, wifi is on, brightness is on very high, etc.

Don't do any of that and you will have a longer battery life.

Warsaw
January 13th, 2011, 10:45 PM
Since when was battery life advertised with the most power-intense settings used for the measurement?

Donut
January 13th, 2011, 11:03 PM
is there anyone here who doesnt or hasnt in the past played a game for well over 5 hours straight? i do that every weekend at the very least. i could easily kill that thing's battery once a day if it only lasts 5 hours.

my game boy advance sp, in retrospect, lasted 2 years without being on a charger. i moved, put it in a box, it sat in that box in the cold for a few months, i pulled it out, and it still worked fine with decent battery. i still haven't needed to charge it, and i periodically play it while in the bathroom. thats good battery life right there. 5 hours wouldnt do it for me. we at least need to be able to switch out battery packs if 5 hours is the limit.

Cortexian
January 14th, 2011, 03:38 AM
So you're sitting at home with your handheld playing a game for 5 hours straight (because you more than likely wouldn't be playing a game for 5 hours while you're out and about for the day). Yet for some reason you find yourself incapable of plugging it in to charge while you play? I mean, you're at home, most likely sitting in one spot.

I never have problems gaming on the go with my Alienware M15x, and it only has an hour or so battery life when gaming. Power outlets are everywhere, if you can't find one you're doing it wrong.

TVTyrant
January 14th, 2011, 03:53 AM
Im not sure I understand how that Razer switchblade thing is supposed to run FPSs. I mean RTSs and RPGs are neat, but come on! Seriously, unless they are going to develop a line of PC games aimed at that machine, I don't really see too much of a point.

Warsaw
January 14th, 2011, 11:47 AM
How do you see it not working? Tone the settings down and plug in a [Razer :downs:] mouse.

Syuusuke
January 16th, 2011, 12:32 PM
Oh dear the Samsung 9 Series is going on my wishlist...

For $1600 I'm getting:

Lightweight Laptop
Genuine Windows 7 CPU
Intel Core i5 2537M CPU
4GB DDR3 RAM
128GB SSD
13.3” HD LED-Backlit
Intel HD GT2 Graphics
2 Stereo Speakers
1.5W Subwoofer
Lithium Polymer Battery (~about 6.5 hours)
WiFi/WiMax
HDMI/USB (3.0 and 2.0 on the other side)
Bluetooth
Ambient Light Sensor
Auto Adjusting Backlit Keyboard
Power-Efficient Lithium Polymer Batteries (Couldn't it just be in one line?)

A FUCKING SUBWOOFER, WHAT?

I think I'm going to turn this into a hackintosh.

Warsaw
January 16th, 2011, 02:56 PM
Why bother? That would only serve to reduce the library of applications you can use with it.

That said, when I saw the 9 Series, I chuckled. Finally, Windows PCs have an ultraportable that doesn't sacrifice performance for mobility. I only wish they had a more potent GPU in it, but Intel's new Sandy Bridge integrated chips are a massive improvement over past hardware.

Syuusuke
January 16th, 2011, 07:17 PM
\Why would I turn it into a hackintosh? I dunno, but ever since I started doing this on my laptop and ither PCs, I found it kinda fun to install it, trying to find and making kext modifications to install the right devices. That's just me. Plus I like showing off my hackintoshes.

Warsaw
January 17th, 2011, 01:32 AM
I can respect that. It's why I did it on my old desktop. I would recommend you do the extra hoop-jumping to dual-boot, though. OSX isn't really ever 100% happy when not being on Apple hardware.

Syuusuke
January 18th, 2011, 11:12 AM
Oh definitely, dual-booting it, maybe 3 with Ubuntu. This Sandy Bridge processor Intel is doling out seems pretty cool.

Warsaw
January 18th, 2011, 07:20 PM
That it does. The new AMD Fusion APUs have also been garnering glowing reviews. Check out any review of HP's new dm1 laptop (netbook?).

Syuusuke
January 18th, 2011, 07:24 PM
Lmao, one of the comments on the reviews: "MAC, MAC, MAC laptops. Period. End of story."

jcap
January 18th, 2011, 08:00 PM
Dual booting is stupid. Really, it's cool to think about, but you need to be rational. Unless you need to use programs that are exclusive to only one operating system (such as playing games on Windows, or Final Cut on OSX), you need to pick one OS and stick with it. If you install multiple operating systems, you'll either end up with a split life that's a pain in the ass, or you will realize you do everything in one OS and nothing in the other.

I know people who bought Macbooks and installed Windows on them for using Windows-specific programs for school/work. They used OSX a little at first, but after they realized they did everything in Windows, there was no reason to go into OSX for anything but web browsing...but why even bother with that when their most comfortable browser profile was in Windows?

Cortexian
January 18th, 2011, 08:20 PM
That's what virtual machines are for anyways.

Warsaw
January 18th, 2011, 08:44 PM
I dual-boot because I like to play around with different operating systems. Other than that, I do everything in Windows. It's mostly for the lulz.

Syuusuke
January 18th, 2011, 09:51 PM
I code with Objective C, I shouldn't but what else can I make iPhone apps with , It's possible to do it on Windows, but last time I tried it's been a hassle.

You're definitely right, I should stick with one OS, it does get kinda pointless to use like 3...

jcap
January 18th, 2011, 10:34 PM
I dual-boot because I like to play around with different operating systems. Other than that, I do everything in Windows. It's mostly for the lulz.

I code with Objective C, I shouldn't but what else can I make iPhone apps with , It's possible to do it on Windows, but last time I tried it's been a hassle.

You're definitely right, I should stick with one OS, it does get kinda pointless to use like 3...
Well, I was going to say something about this, but Freelancer did it for me:

That's what virtual machines are for anyways.
Virtual machines are the best bet if you want to play around with another OS, or if you are a developer and require another OS. It's especially beneficial if you are using the operating system as a playground for experimentation, since you can easily revert any changes in a VM - not so easy without a VM.

http://www.redmondpie.com/how-to-install-os-x-snow-leopard-in-vmware-windows-7-9140301/

Syuusuke
January 18th, 2011, 11:38 PM
I know I know, I should've used VMs, come on cut me some slack =(

Warsaw
January 19th, 2011, 12:46 AM
I can't use the VM for GPU acceleration because the VM doesn't support it. Half of the fooling around in the other OS requires me to use my GPU. I'm not going to pay for a VM that does allow me to do it when I can dual-boot for free.

Cortexian
January 19th, 2011, 01:34 AM
I like to Google when a product has $$$ signs beside it.

:iamafag:

Warsaw
January 19th, 2011, 01:55 AM
I don't. It makes me feel dirty and I hate feeling that way.

Syuusuke
January 19th, 2011, 06:30 PM
Anyway, ontopic: your opinion on the Best(s) of this year's CES 2011?

Warsaw
January 19th, 2011, 10:02 PM
Atrix was a good choice. I mean, I've thought of that several times in the past, but it's nice to see the industry actually moving forward with it now that the hardware is powerful enough.

Cortexian
January 19th, 2011, 10:04 PM
Anyway, ontopic: your opinion on the Best(s) of this year's CES 2011?
Razer Switchblade, Samsung super-thin laptops, Real-D passive glasses 3DTV's for convenience.

Warsaw
January 19th, 2011, 10:10 PM
I thought the Switchblade was cool, but I can't help but feel like they already shot themselves in the foot because A.) they went with the Oaktrail Atom when AMD now has a superior platform out (and yes, it does well on the batter front, too) and B.) it's not supposed to come out for awhile, so we're piling obsolescence on top of obsolescence.

Dwood
January 22nd, 2011, 04:01 AM
Anything with the words "3D" in them isn't worth purchasing. Don't bother. I guarantee you will regret the decision- just wait for the tv manufacturers to calm down.

Cortexian
January 31st, 2011, 11:46 PM
Anything with the words "3D" in them isn't worth purchasing. Don't bother. I guarantee you will regret the decision- just wait for the tv manufacturers to calm down.
I guarantee you that our new 3DTV (which happens to have the best picture quality on Samsungs line right now) wont disappoint. 3D is a bonus after-thought feature imo, but at the moment all 3DTV's tend to have superior picture quality to their non-3D counterparts as well.

Warsaw
January 31st, 2011, 11:49 PM
That's a function of the lovely 120 and 240Hz.

Cortexian
February 1st, 2011, 02:59 AM
Meh, the 240Hz 3DTV we saw side-by-side with the 600Hz one we got had noticeable "jittering" during some scenes. Though that was a LED LCD vs a Plasma...

Warsaw
February 1st, 2011, 03:21 PM
I don't have a preference for either one. Whatever has a better picture. I had a tossup between a 55" Samsung 120Hz and a 60" LG 600Hz Plasma, and the Samsung had the slightly better picture. I did love the thinness and diagonal size of the LG, though.

Also, the jittering was probably a result of incorrect picture mode settings. It really does make a difference. They probably had it set to "gaming" to reduce latency since they have lots of displays on...display.

Cortexian
February 2nd, 2011, 01:20 AM
Nope, I checked the settings myself and everything was set as it should be to provide the best picture on both televisions. Still, we went with the best picture quality we could find as well. I was surprised at how shit the picture quality on the SHARP VT25 was, they've been flaunting how its so much better because they've added a dedicated yellow color instead of the standard RGB.

Warsaw
February 2nd, 2011, 01:33 AM
No. The Yellow doesn't do shit. Why? Because TV signals are not sent in RGBY, they are sent in RGB. Any algorithm you add to try and use that extra pixel will only fuck up the picture. At worst, that pixel won't be lit at all so your picture looks grainy and nasty.

Cortexian
February 2nd, 2011, 02:29 AM
That said, the store was using a SHARP demo disk to display the new yellow pixel capabilities and it STILL looked like shit in comparison to the Samsung and Panasonic VT25.