PDA

View Full Version : HCE My Halo CE map is dark!!!

SgtCatastrophe
November 26th, 2011, 08:00 PM
I can barely see in Sapien on my new map. Did I do radiosity wrong for my map or something because in the tutorial, the guys map is bright.

SgtCatastrophe
November 26th, 2011, 08:24 PM
I can barely see in Sapien on my new map. Did I do radiosity wrong for my map or something because in the tutorial, the guys map is bright.

The command I entered in tools was:

tool lightmaps levels\gulch\gulch gulch 0 0.9

Even then, my map is ridiculously dark, I can't figure out what the problem is...

Kirby_422
November 26th, 2011, 08:37 PM
What sky did you use, etc? You might not of chosen a sky, or picked a night sky, or even of made a BSP without a place for a sky, etc.

SgtCatastrophe
November 26th, 2011, 09:00 PM
In Guerilla, on Sky, I used Clear Afternoon I believe, then did the lightmaps command. I am kinda new at map making.

SgtCatastrophe
November 26th, 2011, 09:04 PM
What sky did you use, etc? You might not of chosen a sky, or picked a night sky, or even of made a BSP without a place for a sky, etc.

I have also done the "tool structure" command too.

PopeAK49
November 29th, 2011, 02:30 PM
Did you add the +sky material in 3ds max before exporting the map? or even created shaders for your bitmaps?

Ryx
November 30th, 2011, 04:00 PM
I've had this same problem too. It's sorta a black/purple haze in the distance but I can't see anything up close when I build the map, but sapien is just plain impossible to see in.

When I made the lightmaps it told me it couldn't find the scenario, even though I had it in there o_O http://img84.imageshack.us/img84/8624/errorae.png

the bitmaps don't even seem to be showing up either, idk why. When I use a flashlight/ilumination the ground is a pale brown. Yes, I had one material named for my bitmaps (ground) and another +sky.

chrisk123999
November 30th, 2011, 07:26 PM
Well it's not going to to light anything up if it's not even running.

Maniac
November 30th, 2011, 08:18 PM
Did you add the +sky material in 3ds max before exporting the map? or even created shaders for your bitmaps?

This is the problem.
You can run radiosity/lightmaps all you want, but with no +sky faces on the model, there will be no light cast.

Ryx
November 30th, 2011, 11:39 PM
This is the problem.
You can run radiosity/lightmaps all you want, but with no +sky faces on the model, there will be no light cast.
So it's not the material that needs to be +sky, but the actual faces?

BobtheGreatII
December 1st, 2011, 12:27 AM
You create a material with no texture and call it +sky. I usually make it blueish in color. You then apply it to the faces you want to appear as the sky. When tool compiles it looks at this area and tells the engine where to render the skybox.

Donut
December 1st, 2011, 12:46 AM
the material has to be named +sky and be APPLIED to the faces that you want to cast light, aka be the sky
E: what bobthegreatII said. youre not texturing the sky with the material. youre simply telling the game where to put the sky you selected in guirilla.

neuro
December 1st, 2011, 04:11 AM
you know there's a tutorial included right?

just go over the tutorial again step for step.
see if you missed anything.

also, yu make a material, name it +sky, and then apply that material to the 'sky' of your map.
those faces with the 'sky' material won't be rendered and will show the skybox of the level behind it.

Patrickssj6
December 1st, 2011, 05:23 AM
I've had this same problem too. It's sorta a black/purple haze in the distance but I can't see anything up close when I build the map, but sapien is just plain impossible to see in.

When I made the lightmaps it told me it couldn't find the scenario, even though I had it in there o_O http://img84.imageshack.us/img84/8624/errorae.png

the bitmaps don't even seem to be showing up either, idk why. When I use a flashlight/ilumination the ground is a pale brown. Yes, I had one material named for my bitmaps (ground) and another +sky.

Also, use \ and not /

Ryx
December 1st, 2011, 11:37 AM
ehh i do use \.

Okay so I gave it a different sky, and all that happened was when I looked outside in sapien the sky appeared outside the model. The inside was still dark and untextured (yes i uvw mapped it) and even though I applied materials to faces the still do not show outside of gmax.

I've been following the tutorial word for word and that's why I'm confused.

ejburke
December 1st, 2011, 01:15 PM
Did you set up your shader tags?

Ryx
December 1st, 2011, 04:56 PM
Did you set up your shader tags?
yeah using this (http://www.modhalo.net/index.php?/topic/14448-map-making-texture-making/) tut. Made the environment shader correctly.

BobtheGreatII
December 1st, 2011, 06:12 PM
Why is there no collision data and hardly anything for render data? Is it compiling correctly? And 6 nodes? Am I missing something, that seems sort of weird.

Skyline
December 1st, 2011, 06:29 PM
Also, use \ and not /

windoz ):

ejburke
December 1st, 2011, 07:19 PM
Yeah, it doesn't look like anything of substance is being compiled. Double check and make sure your level geometry is parented by your reference frame object.

If your level is being exported properly, then add a glow map to your environment shader. If it's there, you will be able to see it, regardless of lighting conditions.

Also, take screenshots.

Donut
December 1st, 2011, 07:59 PM
did you link the entire world geometry to a box named "frame"?