PDA

View Full Version : Halo CE and Crossover Games

STLRamsFan
December 6th, 2011, 12:10 PM
Hey guys, gonna give this thing another go since last time this failed... Trying to install Halo CE on my MacBook. Apparently it's saying I'm missing some files? Any suggestions about what I need to do?

DarkHalo003
December 6th, 2011, 02:08 PM
Hey guys, gonna give this thing another go since last time this failed... Trying to install Halo CE on my MacBook. Apparently it's saying I'm missing some files? Any suggestions about what I need to do?
You are installing a legitimate copy you brought from the Mac Store right?

STLRamsFan
December 6th, 2011, 02:20 PM
No no, I'm talking about Halo Custom Edition. I got a CD Key since I own a copy from when I used a PC and am trying to use Cross Over (granted it's a trial but why not try it?) to get it to install on my Mac. Apparently there's a way to do it but I'm having some problems with it installing. Get to the installation screen but cannot get past the CD Key (gives me a very weird error bout missing files).

DarkHalo003
December 6th, 2011, 03:38 PM
No no, I'm talking about Halo Custom Edition. I got a CD Key since I own a copy from when I used a PC and am trying to use Cross Over (granted it's a trial but why not try it?) to get it to install on my Mac. Apparently there's a way to do it but I'm having some problems with it installing. Get to the installation screen but cannot get past the CD Key (gives me a very weird error bout missing files).
I know Cross Over is a way to bridge the gaps with Windows Exclusive applications and Mac OSX, but the reason why it's not working is most likely because Custom Edition was only meant for Windows operating systems. Even the compatibility center on Cross Over's website denies the compatibility:

http://www.codeweavers.com/compatibility/search?name=Halo+Custom+Edition

Sorry dude, but it looks like if you want Custom Edition on your Mac, you'll probably have to put together a setup for a Windows OS DualBoot.

Ryx
December 6th, 2011, 07:43 PM
Which probably comes with the mac. I remember some built in feature called bootcamp or something of the like?

Maniac
December 6th, 2011, 07:53 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtORezuhYN4&feature=related

That is what you are doing?

Masterz1337
December 6th, 2011, 11:14 PM
So far I've only found that CE can work well when dual booting with bootcamp. I wish I could move all my tools over to OSX, and I have everything but the game running smooth in parallels.

Amit
December 7th, 2011, 12:53 AM
I can run Halo CE no problem in a Windows 7 Virtual Machine using Parallels Desktop 6 using. The 3D support of Parallels is vastly improved over previous versions. It's a pretty expensive product, though. And you need a spare license for whatever operating system you're installing (assuming it's not free). I wouldn't have it if I wanted to rebuy all my expensive windows applications again. Lucky my school sells $10 Windows 7 Ultimate licenses :P

Masterz1337
December 7th, 2011, 02:21 AM
I always get random slowdowns while playing, I use parallels 7 which is suppose to have even better 3D support. But it could also be the maps that I run.

Kirby_422
December 7th, 2011, 01:04 PM
Have you tried the Mac version of WINE? Linux version works fine for HCE, you just cant use opensauce with it (it didn't notice the dll there, etc)

STLRamsFan
December 11th, 2011, 04:12 PM
Yea tried it and no luck.. Oh well, guess I'll have to see if I can find my XP license laying around when I got home and try dual booting that sometime.