PDA

View Full Version : Since H2V, H3 & Reach...

Kornman00
December 10th, 2011, 05:44 AM
Since the forums for those games are so inactive, can we create a "Halo Blah" forum and just make them subforums (I believe vB makes the subforums clickable from the index)? Just a waste of space sitting there as first class citizens and no active content. Especially H3/ODST. It just sits there like :derp:

Then for any future Halo games, they can just sit in the "Halo Blah" forum too.

Timo
December 10th, 2011, 06:22 AM
+1

e:Maybe keep Halo PC/CE on the main page since it's the most active, and stick the other halo forums inside it?

ThePlague
December 10th, 2011, 11:46 AM
:like: That works.

jcap
December 10th, 2011, 12:09 PM
Yeah, I was wondering what exactly to do with them... Making a container subforum for them would probably be best.

ejburke
December 10th, 2011, 12:26 PM
You know what? We just need a video game forum. That's where all the discussion about retail games should go. We don't need a Halo folder, because it's usually less than a handful of threads that are active at a time. The only thing that should be kept separate is modding discussion.

So, for instance, the Halo Anniversary thread would go into the video games section and the CMT thread would reside in the Halo modding section. Right now, they are in the same folder.

Imagine, Tech Talk could be used to actually talk about tech!

ThePlague
December 10th, 2011, 12:50 PM
Then Tech Talk would be empty...

n00b1n8R
December 10th, 2011, 05:04 PM
I always thought that putting "videogame" threads in "tech talk" was a bit dumb, for a year I didn't even know where vidya generals went since I don't care for tech discussion and never even thought to look vOv

=sw=warlord
December 10th, 2011, 05:29 PM
So, for instance, the Halo Anniversary thread would go into the video games section and the CMT thread would reside in the Halo modding section. Right now, they are in the same folder.

Imagine, Tech Talk could be used to actually talk about tech!
Games are software, Software is a form of technology.

Pooky
December 10th, 2011, 05:33 PM
Games are software, Software is a form of technology.

Well, not really. If we were talking about the disks the games come on then yes, but a game itself is an abstract form of art rather than an item of technology.

ex. A computer screen is technology, but the picture on it is not

=sw=warlord
December 10th, 2011, 05:42 PM
Well, not really. If we were talking about the disks the games come on then yes, but a game itself is an abstract form of art rather than an item of technology.

ex. A computer screen is technology, but the picture on it is not
Are you really going to say that the engines that drives the video games we play are not a form of technology that is created and developed?
The photons leaving the screen may not be technology per se but the software itself is.

n00b1n8R
December 10th, 2011, 06:15 PM
Are you really going to say that the engines that drives the video games we play are not a form of technology that is created and developed?
The photons leaving the screen may not be technology per se but the software itself is.\
If I wanted to talk about a web series, is that tech talk?
If I want to point people to a cool article on the net, is that tech talk?
If I want to discuss a TV show, which you watch on a TV, is that tech talk?

You could argue pretty much anything these days is "tech talk". If you want to be reasonable however, videogames don't belong there imo.

Pooky
December 10th, 2011, 07:17 PM
The photons leaving the screen may not be technology per se but the software itself is.

Engine does not equal Game

A game is an abstract concept. You could make a game out of anything. A game engine without a game design isn't a game at all.

Donut
December 10th, 2011, 07:26 PM
would a forum for video game discussion not override the shared traits between games and technology? i thought thats what this was about: consolidate video game discussion to its own sub-forum

Arteen
December 10th, 2011, 07:31 PM
I suggesting keeping the CE forum as-is, and just combine the rest into a single 'Halo General Discussion' forum?

Kornman00
December 10th, 2011, 07:46 PM
e:Maybe keep Halo PC/CE on the main page since it's the most active, and stick the other halo forums inside it?
That's why I gave the explicit list which didn't include HaloCE, because it's active and gets attention it should continue to stand alone. Guess I should have made that clear.

Also, I can't believe this thread has turned into a debate about what video games are. They're not one or other, they're a whole. Technology and art. Hell, technology can be called an art but I really don't want to drag this thread down more. "Tech Talk" is just easier to say than "Off topic forum for everything related to computers". Look at the description.

ejburke
December 10th, 2011, 07:50 PM
Semantics aside, all I'm saying is it would be nice to have the discussion threads of the games du jour right next to the thread for the Halo game du jour.

Amit
December 10th, 2011, 09:23 PM
All the other Halos can fuck right off to wherever they want to go, but at its core Modacity is Halo CE modding and the such. Halo CE section must stay on the index page.

Kornman00
December 10th, 2011, 10:30 PM
All the other Halos can fuck right off to wherever they want to go, but at its core Modacity is Halo CE modding and the such. Halo CE section must stay on the index page. http://www.modacity.net/forums/images/customavatars/avatar355_17.gif

heh (http://www.modacity.net/forums/member.php?355-Amit)

Amit
December 10th, 2011, 11:44 PM
OH JESUS CHRIST!

Cortexian
December 11th, 2011, 03:54 AM
Yeah, Modacity was founded by a core of Halo CE players and modders who were hopeful for Halo 2 Vista. Halo CE sections need to remain the way they are IMO. I wouldn't have a problem with Halo 3 and newer being bundled into one section though.

TheGhost
December 11th, 2011, 10:19 PM
Why don't we just go back to two forums: "On Topic" and "Off Topic".

Pooky
December 11th, 2011, 11:03 PM
On Topic would never get used.

Kornman00
December 11th, 2011, 11:09 PM
How do you On Topic vOv?

jcap
December 11th, 2011, 11:11 PM
All the of Bungie's recent Halo Xbox games (3, ODST, Reach) need to be bundled together IMO...it's just that I don't want to see Halo 1 Xbox or HCEX thrown into the bunch (if anything ever happens with that).

Kornman00
December 12th, 2011, 10:26 AM
If anything ever happens with it, it can easily be separated. For now, it's like sitting on a bundle of resources in Starcraft while you're enemy if trolololo'in away at building an army: it's doing you no good. Just make a generic Halo Poo forum and when something starts to boot-scoot, branch it off from there. Too easy.

t3h m00kz
December 13th, 2011, 03:20 AM
I vote PC games (H2V, CE) in their own section, Xbox games in their own

Shock120
December 13th, 2011, 08:54 AM
Put all in the Halo Blah section, arranged by the active/new/old thread.
At the top of this forum add clickable tags, so that users can filter the forums in search of a specific game and or thread topic (allow perma links).
Halo 1 Xbox, Halo 1 PC & Custom Edition, Halo 2 Xbox, Halo 2 Vista, Halo 3 & ODST, Halo Reach, Halo Anniversary.

And below these set of tags there will be 3 sub category tags
Discussion, Tutorial, Mod/App/Source release.

If I clicked on Halo 1 Xbox, the forum will only show threads tagged with Halo 1 Xbox on them.
If I then clicked Tutorial tag, it shows "Halo 1 Xbox; Tutorials".

Same goes for the others, although one thread can be about more than 1 game.
These tags should also be important fields to fill upon thread creation.

Also design icons would be good to represent a game.

ejburke
December 13th, 2011, 12:10 PM
There are maybe a couple dozen active members here and we typically stick to existing threads, rather than create new ones. There just isn't a good reason to have all these fucking folders. They choke off conversation and it makes the place seem dead. I think TheGhost was kidding with "On Topic/Off Topic", but that's not far off from what would be appropriate for this place given population and posting habits.

I'm all for keeping the Halo PC/CE forum -- it's really just the "Halo Modding" forum, anyway, since no one is talking about stock Halo PC anymore. But a few threads, like the Anniversary thread, would be better off in a generic video games forum -- or "Halo & Other Games" if we're that married to Halo as the poster-game of the board.

neuro
December 14th, 2011, 06:37 AM
i vote keep halo1 (hurrr) forum as is, and give all the others a blah-sub-forum and sort it out with thread tags [h2v][h3][odst] etc.

as for how to separate out what's contained in tech/offtopic, i don't really care. :downs:

Kornman00
January 3rd, 2012, 09:58 PM
bump