PDA

View Full Version : Holy shit, this site knows what you've downloaded (torrents only)

Amit
December 19th, 2011, 12:52 PM
http://www.youhavedownloaded.com
(http://www.youhavedownloaded.com/)
I was on ZD Net just now and saw this website in an article talking about how even the Department of Homeland Security pirates shit (http://www.zdnet.com/blog/btl/everybody-pirates-riaa-homeland-security-caught-downloading-torrents/65670?tag=nl.e539).

Now, if you use private trackers exclusively, you won't show up on here (hurray for XSpeeds, Demonoid, and Blackcats Games). Also, you won't show up here if you don't use torrents, obviously.

It's pretty cool, though. I should send this to people and watch them freak out if they use public trackers haha.

jcap
December 19th, 2011, 12:58 PM
Good thing I'm over that whole stupid torrents fad.

Amit
December 19th, 2011, 01:05 PM
I used to pay for accounts for direct downloading too, until I realized that it's not cost effective to use a direct downloading account when my bandwidth cap is only 95GB. So, no, torrents aren't stupid and they are no longer a fad.

EagerYoungSpaceCadet
December 19th, 2011, 01:12 PM
Doesn't show anything for me, and I torrented a bunch.

nuttyyayap
December 19th, 2011, 01:14 PM
Only shows the stuff my bro downloaded... :smug:

Patrickssj6
December 19th, 2011, 01:21 PM
Torrents are awesome but way to insecure in modern countries :S

Limited
December 19th, 2011, 01:57 PM
It lists 3, I've download none of them...not very accurate.

Patrickssj6
December 19th, 2011, 02:14 PM
Dynamic IPs...it is actually very acurate concerning the IP. Unlike the government or w/e they don't have access to your IP history though.

nuttyyayap
December 19th, 2011, 02:22 PM
It's hilarious how it can't even get my location or IP right :smug:

Ryx
December 19th, 2011, 02:29 PM
I have a static IP, torrent all the time, and yet it says I have nothing?

StankBacon
December 19th, 2011, 02:42 PM
I used to pay for accounts for direct downloading too, until I realized that it's not cost effective to use a direct downloading account when my bandwidth cap is only 95GB. So, no, torrents aren't stupid and they are no longer a fad.

megaupload free pretty much has no download limits, and rapidshare has changed and has no limits at all anymore.
mediafire has no limits, fileserve free practically has no limits.

definitely not worth the risk using torrents at all, when anything you would ever need is on one or all of these hosts.

Amit
December 19th, 2011, 03:45 PM
megaupload free pretty much has no download limits, and rapidshare has changed and has no limits at all anymore.
mediafire has no limits, fileserve free practically has no limits.

definitely not worth the risk using torrents at all, when anything you would ever need is on one or all of these hosts.

You didn't read my post correctly. I said my bandwidth cap is 95GB (meaning the ISP imposed cap), not the hosting services' cap. I had limits with Rapidshare, but I never went over it. When Rapidshare pulled its bullshit by tying to scam its customers into using their intentionally confusing Rapids system, I got the fuck out of there. I switched over to Hotfile which was very popular at the time. I used that for a year before I ended my subscription last December. I picked up using torrents again due to me not being able to find what I wanted to download on direct download sites at the time. I've said it before and I'll say it again, the variety of content available from torrents vastly overshadows the direct downloading sector. Yeah, sometimes you gotta wait a while for what you're downloading, but you'll get it eventually. I've been using torrents for almost a decade now and I've never had any problems with them. There's hardly any risk if you take simple precautions.

TVTyrant
December 19th, 2011, 05:18 PM
Doesn't show anything, and I have downloaded a shit ton in the last 6 weeks

:smug:

Amit
December 19th, 2011, 05:44 PM
The key here is that if you use private trackers, you won't show up. Are you guys downloading using private trackers or public ones?

Cortexian
December 19th, 2011, 09:31 PM
I've downloaded a few things from public trackers recently, nothing listed on me.

I guess all my spoofing stuff works decently (I have no illusions that it's completely hiding everything though).

jcap
December 19th, 2011, 09:45 PM
Private trackers still don't shelter you from being sued or disconnected.

Cortexian
December 19th, 2011, 10:20 PM
Nothing does.

Amit
December 19th, 2011, 10:33 PM
My ISP can see everything I download regardless of the source, so it doesn't really matter. I get my shit for absolute free rather than kinda free.

jcap
December 20th, 2011, 12:09 AM
Well in comparison to torrents which broadcast your IP address to every single peer, private file hosting sites are WAY more secure and safe than torrents, regardless of public or private trackers. Despite the ISP and file host being able to see all traffic, it isn't used (and probably won't be anytime soon) to track browsing habits for infringing activity. The comparison I am trying to make is that while torrents require practically no effort for the "piracy police," requiring ISPs to maintain full traffic logs and requesting server logs of infringing hosts requires way too much effort and no amount of money or time can force any company to comply with a demand if they aren't operating under the same laws as the US.

Amit
December 20th, 2011, 01:05 AM
Well, I can't argue with that. I'm not really familiar with stories of people getting busted, though, except for stuff where the entertainment company was especially looking for pirates of a certain product.

Cortexian
December 20th, 2011, 03:58 AM
Exactly why you should always spoof your IP, even on a private tracker.

Patrickssj6
December 20th, 2011, 09:28 AM
The RIAA Pirated $9 Million Worth of TV Shows (http://gizmodo.com/5869321/dear-recording-industry-pay-9-million-for-pirating-tv-shows-or-shut-up?utm_medium=referral&utm_source=pulsenews)

That number—$150,000 for each of the 60 episodes illegally downloaded on the RIAA HQ ISP (OK?)—comes compliments of YouHaveDownloaded which logged the BitTorrent activity of some 50 million users and revealed that not only are the major movie studios pirating their own movies, but the RIAA is downloading pirated TV shows. Lots of 'em.