PDA

View Full Version : Hi all. Mind bringing me up to speed?

MDMA_MGMT
March 12th, 2012, 04:04 PM
Hello everyone of Modacity. My name is Erik, and I began playing Halo PC back in 2004, and absolutely fell in love with it. Within a month or so of playing, I discovered the modding community of HaloMods and the existence of Halo: Custom Edition. While I never contributed anything significant, I played around a little with the tools available and avidly followed the modding community.

Then some years back, I stopped playing Halo to move on to other things, and it finally stuck :p Now however I am getting back into it, and have Halo 2 Vista in the mail (I've never played the Halo2 campaign and am excited to unravel its story).

When I left the community some of my favorite projects like the Zelda multiplayer battles had simply ceased, and Projects like Goldeneye and Church were still under a seemingly endless development.

I currently cannot play online, because I have lost my CD key and am waiting on my friend to give me his old one. However, I would like to know where the community stands. I read through the thread Halo's Engine that enlightened me on a lot, but there are still some things I would like to know.

----------FEEL FREE TO SKIP TO HERE-------------

For example, can someone give me the rundown on OpenSauce? I don't quite understand it yet.

What are some of the most exciting projects being developed right now?

What are the goals of the community?

Are we ever going to get a more advanced engine? Or is it HaloCE4life?

Thank you for your help, and I look forward to becoming a part of the community again.

n00b1n8R
March 12th, 2012, 05:02 PM
Zelda never happend, Church came and and while it was pritty, the gameplay sucked and idk about goldeneye (probably means it didn't happen).
We still use halomaps.org btw.

Warsaw
March 12th, 2012, 05:23 PM
Some here have taken to modding Halo stuff into Unreal Engine 3 and CryEngine 2 and 3. We have Kornman00's Open Sauce enabling some pretty awesome graphical enhancements in HCE's Blam! engine though, so a lot are still modding that.

The most exciting projects right now are probably Lumoria and CMT SPv3.

Cortexian
March 12th, 2012, 06:25 PM
have Halo 2 Vista in the mail (I've never played the Halo2 campaign and am excited to unravel its story).
Sorry for your loss.

The general consensus about that game is that it was very terrible port of the Xbox version. If you've never played the campaign and you want to, you'll probably enjoy that, but the multiplayer is complete shit.

MDMA_MGMT
March 14th, 2012, 05:16 PM
So what does Open Sauce actually do?

nuttyyayap
March 14th, 2012, 05:32 PM
Adds engine extentions, mostly graphical from what I've used/seen/played.
Check out the CMT thread to see for yourself.

Warsaw
March 16th, 2012, 05:03 AM
So what does Open Sauce actually do?

You know all those pretties in modern games like anti-aliasing, motion blur, self-shadowing, normal maps, etc.? It lets you do those...in Halo 1. Also some more fundamental stuff that might not be readily apparent.

The end result is this:

http://kornnersoftware.com/images/boner.png

BobtheGreatII
March 16th, 2012, 03:45 PM
Better yet, watch this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zL-xWbwbq14

Futzy
March 16th, 2012, 04:04 PM
HALO? HALO? HALO? HALO? HALO? HALO? HALO? HALO? HALO? HALO? HALO? HALO? HALO? HALO? HALO? HALO? HALO? HALO? HALO? HALO? HALO? HALO? HALO? HALO? HALO? HALO? HALO? HALO? HALO? HALO? HALO? HALO? HALO? HALO? HALO? HALO? HALO? HALO? HALO? HALO? HALO? HALO? HALO? HALO? HALO? HALO? HALO? HALO? HALO? HALO? HALO? HALO? HALO? HALO? HALO? HALO? HALO? HALO? HALO? HALO? HALO? HALO? HALO? HALO? HALO? HALO? HALO? HALO? HALO? HALO? HALO? HALO? HALO? HALO? HALO? HALO? HALO? HALO? HALO? HALO? HALO? HALO? HALO? HALO? HALO? HALO? HALO? HALO? HALO? HALO? HALO? HALO? HALO? HALO? HALO? HALO? HALO? HALO? HALO? HALO? HALO? HALO? HALO? HALO? HALO? HALO? HALO? HALO? HALO?